WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default gloves (late fall-early spring)

What kind of gloves do you recommend for late fall/early spring hiking? It would be nice to have a waterproof shell to go over my current gloves (mountain hardwear power stretch liners). I'm wanting to keep warm, but not go overboard on weight. Any ideas?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

REI's One gloves are pretty nice, and they would fit over liners, not cheap, unless you find'em on sale.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

OR makes a very lightweight glove shell for water proofing. I use them, liners and only wear mittens in snow and very cold weather.

For your requirments, I would simply suggest light fleece liners. Of course they will get wet, but still will do a great job keeping the chill off. They dry quickly as well. Anytime I've been tempted to go with waterproof gloves or mitts, I end up with sweaty hands. Sometimes simple is best.

Cheers,

PKH
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Default Convertible mittens

Mittens are always warmer than gloves of similar weight. To get the dexterity you might need -- at a low price -- consider Campmor Windban Convertible's.

A great lightweight option is the OR lobster claw shells. Because they are just a shell, there are limitations on the warmth they provide and there is the tendency to experience the "clammy" feeling. But if weight is an issue than these deserve a look.

Beyond that, my opinion is that there is not much to differentiate one light liner from another. I appreciate having a fleece glove made of Windstopper, and have used such a glove for years, but I've noticed that the Windstopper gloves carry a bit more bulk than other fleece liners. If you are a photographer, this may be something to consider.

Images

i was born and raised in a cold-wet climate, (syracuse NY. seattle is only slightly rainier, and a lot warmer) and lived there for 18 years. i went to college nearby later in life for 2 more years, was stationed north of there (ft drum) still later for 4 more years, and lived in a similar climate for 3 years in europe. point is, i've lived in the cold. (hate it, hence my current locale).

the best glove i ever found for that 'in-between' cold (30*F-55*F) was the us army wool glove insert, worn without the leather shells. i still have them, somewhere. the shells did nothing but pinch my fingers to the point of frostbite. the wool liner alone was my preference down to about 20*F-25*F. below that, i had nice pair of mitten shells that went over the liners, or i went to a synthetic glove if in my civilian clothes. beyond that point, you're not in a wet environment anymore, but frozen/dry cold. i liked the fact that i could sweat through my hands, and the open weave let it evaporate.

given today's fabrics, i'd go with a cheap fleece glove from walmart. they are light, warm, and dry more quickly than my old wool inserts.

I usually bring my 200 wt fleece gloves that time of year. 3oz. I have a thin pair of liner gloves(cheapies, not fleece), but they weigh 1.7 oz. The 200wt will keep you warm when wet and dry pretty quickly. I know I can always put them in the bag at night and dry them out. I bring shell mittens w/300 wt liners in the winter.

There's probably some thinner fleece gloves out there that will work too. If you choose fleece, having some type of gripping material helps.

When I replace the 200 wts, I may look into the convertible mitts so I can play cards easier. It's hard to play cards with fleece mittens.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For three season backpacking, I use wool liner gloves (army surplus) and silnylon mitts.

Weighs in at 2.625 oz total. Very versatile. I used to use Smartwool liner gloves (on sale at Campmor for $5 a pair every so often), but they wore out too quickly.

Wool is still warm when damp, so it works well for me.

YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

kickin it with some 1.4oz Possumdown gloves. Great gloves but the non flattened piling creates lil wool fibers that annoy my wife.
    See ya when I get there.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I have to pile-on with the military liners. I just got out of the Air Force, I was issued two types of gloves. The first is a pair of lightweight "mechanics' gloves. These are used by flight crews to keep their hands warm in flight but also retain dexterity. The second is a good ole pair of wool liners and leather shells. They rock.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Target has some "windproof, waterproof" Bec-Tec fleece gloves, with gripping-patches, in four sizes, for about $10. Worth checking out at that price. Look for em on the glove rack.

Doug Frost

I like Neoprene rafting gloves. Waterproof,lightweight and extremely warm. About 15/20 $ a pair and tight fitting so you can almost do anything with them on that you can do barehanded.

++ New Posts ++