Default Section hiking the FT with a dog in winter.......ticks and snakes ??

I mainly hike solo with my lil jack Russell....he loves to hike the AT....wish I had his energy. I live in north fl and want to do a few close sections of the FT with him and my son during winter only. My dog stays just behind me or within a few steps in front...lil concerned with ticks and snakes. I've never had a problem with either during the winter as I've lived here my entire life...40yrs...grew up outdoors but never hiked here. I plan to use permethrin on my gear and treat fog e Adams flea off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's him a few weeks ago on our section hike from NOC to Fontana dam....

Images

He's cute.

My wife and I just did a two day section hike in the southern part of Ocala National Forest. We didn't see any snakes but did see quite a few ticks on our Tyvek sheet when we sat down to setup camp. However we didn't seem to have any on us and didn't use any permethrin or deet although we will next time we go out. Based on our experience I would think that you really should take some precautions for your dog (and yourself).
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Thx SC
    I'll def spray him down daily with Adams and he's on a monthly..how was the hike....

Images

The hike was very good. It was our first time in ONF and were surprised that the variation in trees, ecosystems, etc. It was definitely cooler at night than we were expecting but very nice during the day !
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Glad to hear....I see ur from Asheville....lucky u! I love w nc....would love to move that way down the road.....guess I'll try a section or two of the FT this winter....I guess the miles will go a lot faster since it's mostly flat ground....

I saw this photo of your dog last night. On a thread that was talking about stress. I really thought you were taking a picture of a stressed dog. Ma'am your dog is stressed. He is not having a good time. He is walking with you because he loves you. I am not a dog hater. I love to see dogs on the trail. If you like hiking with your dog take the load off. He is not a happy pup.mayby another pic would prod me wrong.

He's not stressed at all..I had just said squirrel...he does that look when he hears that word....I assure u he's not stressed..If I get my pack out of my closet he goes nuts! His pack was less than 2 lbs....he weighs 18.....I appreciate your concern....only problem is he does get cold easily if we stop long.....if he wasn't enjoying I wouldn't bring him...jack Russell's are stout lil dogs.....he thinks he's a mini pit bull...

Glad to hear he's a happy hiker. You gotta admit he does not look happy

Y he has that serious look whenever I say the "S" word.....my only concern is how he would act if we see a bear...he hikes just behind me so hopefully I'd see it first so could leash him....when others around or at camp he's on a leash...try to camp away from others to be considerate of non dog lovers...his comfort is a priority to me...I recently bought a cheap lite down vest from Costco...I sewed the sleeves and bottom closed to create a down bag for him...it worked good to about 40-45 deg....I also made a fleece liner to go inside. Last trip got to mid to upper 20's so he also got my montbell down jacket as well...he also has a cut down zlite sleep pad..

Images

Your dog is adorable. I have not seen any snakes in ONF but ticks are a problem. I am taking my dog she is 5 months old on her first overnight in Feb. We have had a few freezing nights and that helps with the tick population. The last time I hiked the ONF I found 8 ticks on me when I was done but it was in the warmer months of April. Jan and Feb will be less ticks. I love the ONF its not the AT but it is a beautiful little hiking paradise here in Florida I hike it every year.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    Your dog is adorable. I have not seen any snakes in ONF but ticks are a problem. I am taking my dog she is 5 months old on her first overnight in Feb. We have had a few freezing nights and that helps with the tick population. The last time I hiked the ONF I found 8 ticks on me when I was done but it was in the warmer months of April. Jan and Feb will be less ticks. I love the ONF its not the AT but it is a beautiful little hiking paradise here in Florida I hike it every year.
    Thx...enjoy hiking w ur pup...I took my jrt on his 1st hike when he was about 8-10 months....he's hooked. We did springer to woody gap...what section u prefer in the FT....white springs to SRSP? Or ONF?

I love your little hiking buddy, nice pic. Hiking on the FT, you will almost always have to be conscious of ticks. Snakes on the other hand, tend to not be a problem in the winter months. I live in the central panhandle, and almost 12 months of the year now can expect to encounter ticks and/or chiggers on the trail. Last year the ticks seemed to be the worst I can recall for many years. Seems to be a function of how cold the winter gets, and how much rainfall we get. That of course also affects the mosquito population. Enjoy hiking, some nice trails over that way.

Images

My fav is along the Suwannee really pretty and terrain really varies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I assume pretty easy miles? I'm used to doing 15-20 mpd on southern AT mtns...

AWSOME dog! love JRT's

How do / did you get him to not chase critters, they are natural hunters, some say the best hunting dogs ever. And they have no clue how small they are!

They are directly related to the APBT breed. so he is a little PB.

RUNT ''13''

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    AWSOME dog! love JRT's

How do / did you get him to not chase critters, they are natural hunters, some say the best hunting dogs ever. And they have no clue how small they are!

They are directly related to the APBT breed. so he is a little PB.

RUNT ''13''
    Fortunately I got him out early..did his first hike around 8months...he will chase critters but only goes lil ways away...u can tell when we pass where a squirrel has been he gets to that look..we've only seen squirrel and deer on my he southern AT...no bears yet...he hikes just behind me...really likes bring on trail...what is apbt?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Fortunately I got him out early..did his first hike around 8months...he will chase critters but only goes lil ways away...u can tell when we pass where a squirrel has been he gets to that look..we've only seen squirrel and deer on my he southern AT...no bears yet...he hikes just behind me...really likes bring on trail...what is apbt?

Ahhh.....American pit bull terrier.......he will hang from a tire!!!he's only 18 lbs but thinks he's 100!

I am planning to do the Suwannee section..white springs to SRSP....after looking at the FT on my neo treks app it appears to have a few sections of road walks?? Is this correct? Is trail blazed well?

Images

I believe there is one section after leaving holten creek River camp and wildlife area there is an approx 1 mile to Gibson park that I had forgotten about I have hiked it

++ New Posts ++