WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: blister care

Default blister care

I googled "severe blister care" a few days ago. Up came Web MD and a couple of others. I learned a few things. I strongly suggest you do the same. Duct tape is about the worst thing you could put on a blister, it will pull the skin off the blister. If the skin over the blister is torn it becomes an open wound and must be treated as such to prevent infection. Antibiotic ointment is a must in your 1st aide kit. I have no experience with leukotape but have heard good things about it. New skin is an option. People have been knocked of the trail because of blisters, be smart, don't be one of them. Treat your blisters properly.

I get SEVERE heel blisters when I section-hike (up to 120 miles at a time). I have been sized at so many outfitters, but I still have problems - and yes, I always break in my shoes for at least 200 miles prior to hitting the trail.

I used to use mole-skin, and it made my blisters worse - more painful as it would "bunch" up on my heel. After I switched to duct-tape, the pain while hiking eased. I do put antibiotic ointment on the open blister areas before putting duct tape on.

Yes, I have tried the tape - and it worked; however, I had to frequently change it during the day.

For me, new skin did not work at all.

My guess, what works may be different for each person as I know some people who love moleskin. I do agree that antibiotic ointment is a must. That is the heaviest thing in my kit; however, I would not leave home without it!

The trick is blister prevention, then early intervention. If you feel a hotspot duct tape will help. If you get a blister sticking it with a pin to let out the fluid will help. Duct tape over it will protect it. Moleskin has proven worthless to me. I used a product called Second Skin when I was running a lot.

I used Moleskin differently than I have seen it used: I use small scissors to cut a hole slightly bigger than the blister. I cut rounded edges at the outer edges. I put it in place. This way, the Moleskin keeps pressure off the blister.

I never used an ointment.

The most I did, was make a slight cut in the blister to let the build-up out. I didn't force it out. I figured some of that moisture assists in healing. I daubed with a gauze flat to pick up the excess.

I never really covered the blister.

I got my boots/shoes and socks off often to let it heal.

I also give my feet a rest, in fresh socks so many hikers wear in their sleeping system.

This means three pair of socks, one pair of socks for sleepwear.

My feet appreciate it. If I must hike out, due to a problem of blisters, I have the fresh "extra" socks.

Now, I know how to select hiking shoes and socks, and, have clean socks I haven't had blisters.

The essential information, for me, for hiking shoes is "narrow heel" "low volume" feet, size 40 European equivalent, and as straight as I can find from the ball of the foot to the big toe.

Different feet are different. Wide heel? High volume feet?

Everyone, however, benefits from having the shoe quite nearly straight from the ball of the foot to the big toe, that and room for the toes not to hit the front of the shoe inside.

I forgot to say that.

For the millionth time, New Skin is the way to go. Just have a stick handy to bite on as you put it on.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How about Second Skin before you have a blister?

If applied to your blister locations before a blister, would Second Skin prevent a blister?

Again, I know everyone's experience is different; however, -

I did the "cut out the hole thing to alleviate pressure" with Moleskin. That did not work for me although I have heard it worked for others. Perhaps, it is the way my feet sweat because anytime I wear the stuff, it ends up bunched up at my heels withing 2 hours
    The one thing I never skimp on is socks. I carry 4 pairs (one to sleep in, 3 to hike in - in case of rainy weather). I only wear Smartwool.
    I have worked with Newskin countless times on my hands - worked great (but not on my heels).
    I prepare feet ahead of time - break in shoes and watch hotspots (actually put duct tape on before I set foot on any trail).
    Shoe fit: The reason I have bought shoes from Outfitters/ Shoe stores for the past 4 years! I Try to get the proper shoes for my size feet (yes - a VERY Narrow heel - BUT - a WIDE - VERY WIDE toe box = difficult combination; hence, this is the reason I have gone to new shoes each of the past 5 years - and I break in each set with at least 200 miles of dune hiking - sand/stairs combination.)

Good luck to all!

I know a man with large feet, as you describe. He gets custom boots, discounted because "his" fit made for other customers had a small flaw in the color or surface finish of the leather.

I know, for a fact, your feet are not unique because of his experience.

The boots he found are made for tree climbers, without the brace and harness.

The problem with anything which has adhesive you put over a blister on your foot is that is doesn't stay in place for long. Or you make some kind of lump which is annoying or makes the problem worse. Liquid bandages do not have that problem. It also seals and disinfects. The last thing you need is an infected blister. It can and does happen. If you catch it early and treat it morning, noon and night, it will quickly go away.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

i would highly suggest the book "Fixing Your Feet" by a podiatrist that treats extreme endurance athletes. It covers blisters ... prevention and treatment ... as well as lots of other maladies of the feet and ankles.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    i would highly suggest the book "Fixing Your Feet" by a podiatrist that treats extreme endurance athletes. It covers blisters ... prevention and treatment ... as well as lots of other maladies of the feet and ankles.
    this...

not this

Liner Socks!! This will prevent 99% of all foot related blisters.

I have heard "liner socks".

I tried it, once. I got horrible wrinkled liner socks squashed up on my heels and under my foot inside the second pair of socks.

How do you "do" liner socks?

Do you wear tight-fitting elastic liner socks? What material?

Do you wear liner socks only? No second pair of socks?

Personally I have always worn liner toe socks. Some hate them some like em. They work for me most of the time. It's whatever works. As for treatment- I pop the blister with a pin apply a little antibiotic ointment and use a band aid. Get air to it as much as I can. Again- just what works for me. Blisters happen when you walk 2000 miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I have heard "liner socks".

I tried it, once. I got horrible wrinkled liner socks squashed up on my heels and under my foot inside the second pair of socks.

How do you "do" liner socks?

Do you wear tight-fitting elastic liner socks? What material?

Do you wear liner socks only? No second pair of socks?

Connie, I find that injinji wool toe socks under darn tough or smartwool socks works for me. No issue with slipping or wrinkling.

Exactly want trex said. The injini toe socks keep your toes from rubbing each other and the darn tough socks are just the best imho. Awesome combo to keep your feet happy.

I wear quarter length socks, so the crew length and longer length socks do not sag and bunch down at the heel.

I looked at Darn Tough. There is a great deal if variety. Any particular model socks hikers here like best?

I use 2Toms blister shield roll on any place I have gotten blisters in the past. Then nylon undersocks. Haven't had a blister in years.

prevention really is the big thing. Wash your feet several times a day, soap and water, baby wipes don't count. some lube vasoline desitin or such, powder probably gold bond. antibiotic ointment when a blister breaks open. Do not use duct tape it will tear you skin open making it ready for an infection. Taping areas of previous blisters sounds good. Keep the pinkies happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I wear quarter length socks, so the crew length and longer length socks do not sag and bunch down at the heel.

I looked at Darn Tough. There is a great deal if variety. Any particular model socks hikers here like best?
    I bought a few pairs of the Darn Tough Light Hiker Quarter Socks to try them out.

They're good socks and I do like them better than my REI Lighweight Merino Wool Socks.

Be aware however, the Darn Tough socks are a tighter fit for me. If/When I order them again I'll order large. I wear a size 9 (M).
    --

Hike Safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++