WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pack Weight

Quote Originally Posted by CondensedFun View Post
    Wolf,

I didn't intend to provide an opinion on Mag's article. I was just trying to point out that the implication of the line you quoted was basically opposite of what it appeared to be on the surface because the article was intended to be satire.
    I'll agree with you on that point. Your post just came across as quoting Mag for something he did not say in his article. Mag and me have gone rounds a few times (not trying to start anything now), I just wanted to make sure he is not misquoted.

Wolf

Images

Oh, and I chose the Hubba Hubba over the Solong because it can be freestanding, easier on platforms and easier overall. Doubled the weight, but if I am stuck in the tent for a day, then I would like to at least be somewhat comfy

I've read most of the posts here (and skipped the contentious ones), nd I think you have a great start. If money is available, you may wanna look at he EE synthetic quilts, or perhaps pick up a lighter synthetic bag with a Sea to Summit liner (or silk liner). I use a JRB quilt at 19 oz and supplement with a liner when needed (and layer up when needed as well. I do agree that you may want to examine your 'other-than-big-three' gear for redundancies, unnecessary weight, etc, and you may find a couple of lbs. that way.

Over many years, I have gone from a 35-plus backpack that was way too large (the corollary of which is that if you have a big pack, you will fill it up) to a 10-12 lb base weight depending on season - that transition took awhile and in the process I was able to pinpoint what was really important to me. 2-person tents, non-freestanding, homemade, hammocks, and on and on...... For example, I did the soda-can stove thing for awhile, the trangia thing, the titanium thing, but eventually realized that for me, my anodized aluminum pot and ul canister stove is what I really like to carry - and I don't care if it weighs 3 oz more than the Bud Lite crowd. (In fact, it's kinda fun watching some of those folks attempt to light their alky setups in subfreezing temps while I sip my cup of nice, hot Earl Grey.... ahem, uh, sorry..).

These days, it's a 10X10 tarp or my Tarptent Moment DW, a silnylon poncho/groundcloth, some aluminum gutter nails, a quilt, and my beloved ULA. Point is, going lighter is a process, not a snapshot, and you need to carry what you are comfy with and are willing to tote. Just start walking, have some fun, don't hold yourself to some artificial bar for mileage or weight, and your body (and the trail) will tell you what you really need.

One last thing: Effective Layering is Next to Godliness.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by comanche8f View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I will probably post a gear list later. I know some things I have I "could" give up. I just keep hearing about these people with 25lb packs including food, water, everything. So I was trying to get an average. The pack was the hardest for me, like I said, it is heavy for a pack, about 4lb 11oz. I know there are other packs, that are even cheaper, but I chose this one for my personal liking. I was really considering the ULA circuit or catalyst , due to their popularity, and weight, but in the end I had to go with something I liked more, and mostly, I like pockets and I am rough on packs, so I need one to hold up. I just weighed everything, without food or water, and I am actually right at 20lbs. So I am thinking right around 30 when all is said and done.

I am use to carrying 40-50lb packs, but on flat ground and only for a day or so, so big difference.
    As far as mentality is concerned, I will finish no matter what. I am walking to bring awareness to veteran suicide. Also for personal reasons, so I will finish. I would just like to enjoy my walk instead of wishing I didn't have a pack on. So I just didn't know what weight the average thru hiker was carrying
    As a vet who's considered suicide, I appreciate you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    As a vet who's considered suicide, I appreciate you.

I appreciate you as well. Glad you are still with us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    I've read most of the posts here (and skipped the contentious ones), nd I think you have a great start. If money is available, you may wanna look at he EE synthetic quilts, or perhaps pick up a lighter synthetic bag with a Sea to Summit liner (or silk liner). I use a JRB quilt at 19 oz and supplement with a liner when needed (and layer up when needed as well. I do agree that you may want to examine your 'other-than-big-three' gear for redundancies, unnecessary weight, etc, and you may find a couple of lbs. that way.

Over many years, I have gone from a 35-plus backpack that was way too large (the corollary of which is that if you have a big pack, you will fill it up) to a 10-12 lb base weight depending on season - that transition took awhile and in the process I was able to pinpoint what was really important to me. 2-person tents, non-freestanding, homemade, hammocks, and on and on...... For example, I did the soda-can stove thing for awhile, the trangia thing, the titanium thing, but eventually realized that for me, my anodized aluminum pot and ul canister stove is what I really like to carry - and I don't care if it weighs 3 oz more than the Bud Lite crowd. (In fact, it's kinda fun watching some of those folks attempt to light their alky setups in subfreezing temps while I sip my cup of nice, hot Earl Grey.... ahem, uh, sorry..).

These days, it's a 10X10 tarp or my Tarptent Moment DW, a silnylon poncho/groundcloth, some aluminum gutter nails, a quilt, and my beloved ULA. Point is, going lighter is a process, not a snapshot, and you need to carry what you are comfy with and are willing to tote. Just start walking, have some fun, don't hold yourself to some artificial bar for mileage or weight, and your body (and the trail) will tell you what you really need.

One last thing: Effective Layering is Next to Godliness.

Hope this helps.
    Sound advice, thank you. Yeah , I have thought about the sleeping bag thing. Just not knowing the weather in the Smokey's I have decided to keep this one until I get to the other side of them. I have a number of bags that are much lighter. I also Have a few other comfy items I will be sending back in VA as well. So I will lose some weight then.

As far as the tent. I have hammocks and tried tarps. In the end though, I really like a spacious tent as well as the bug net. I agree with you about the larger pack. The idea was I wouldn't have stuff hanging all over the outside, but as it is, I find myself already ditching stuff because it won't fit. So yeah....

Mind if I hijack this thread?

bemental: V1 Gear List

bemental - v1.jpg

Maybe I should explain myself(?):

I'm hiking for healing, and coming from a strong military background (12 years as a US Marine Infantryman). My gear is a hodgepodge of older hiking equipment (Pack, 10 yr old Osprey Eclipse 42 + 5; similar age Mountain Hardware Polarguard 3D bag), some essential-to-me military gear (british tarp, ISO Mat), and brand new gear that I've purchased in the past 2-3 weeks after realizing I'll be able to hike this year (just got my medical retirement date a few weeks ago).

Additionally, I'm testing out a renewable energy theory, which revolves around strapping a small GoalZero panel to my ServiceDog all day, a 17,000mAh rechargeable battery, and my iPhone, rechargeable headlamp, and whatever else I decide to bring that plugs in.

Be as deliberately critical as you'd like, but keep these tenets in mind please!

And, of course I just found out how to share the GearGrams link directly:

bemental - V1

Images

Mind if I hijack this thread?

bemental: V1 Gear List

bemental - v1.jpg

Go for it. I have got all my gear now. Now I just need to figure out what in the heck NOT to take

Post the items: people will have opinions and, hopefully, will explain their opinion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Post the items: people will have opinions and, hopefully, will explain their opinion.
    I know what I should get rid of. It is just getting rid of it that's the problem. I was in the Army for too long. When you go to the field you take your entire house, it is hard to break that mindset..... Plus there is no option, they tell you what to bring

Journal Entries

Appreciate it. My sleeping bag is as heavy as it is because I cannot use down. So I have to use synthetic. Like we both have said, my pack is too heavy, but I am going to stick with it. It is the new Osprey AG, and I love how it feels, it feels a lot lighter than it is. My sleeping pad is 12oz, and I have probably upped the weight of my tent by going with a hubba hubba instead of a solong.

So yeah, pretty much going the wrong direction. I like room and comfort in my tent though. I have decided , after reading everyones inputs, as long as with food and water I am in the 30-35lb range I will be good.

I would love to have a 11lb pack, but I don't see it for this trip.

I am leaving in less than a month, so yes, I will have more clothing than I would have if waiting another month. I will have warmth for my trip through TN/NC. Once I get to VA, or a little bit into it, I will ditch the heavier sleeping bag for one that I already own that is half the weight. Plus most of my winter clothing. So I will only get lighter as I go. I guess the good thing is, once I make it to VA with a heavier pack, the rest of the trip with a bit lighter pack should be a breeze.
    The Hubba Hubba is a great tent if you can handle the weight. Very roomy for one and versatile too. Very little condensation, free standing so you can tip it out to clean it and move it around. And tough. I'm sure you'll like it !i hiked about eight hundred miles with one and the only weak point was the bag it came in. Enjoy and good luck with your hike

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Mountain Hardware Polarguard 3D Mummy Sleeping Bag

Specifications:
    0 degree - 4 season
    POLARGUARD 3D - Continuous Filament Polyester Insulation
    Shell: 100% Nylon
    Style: 3rd Dimension LARGE
    Finish Size: 30" X 84"
    Net weight of filling material: 51oz.

Polarguard 3D continuous filament insulation provides continuous comfort and durability, and offers these remarkable advantages:

Superior warmth, without weight
    Superior loft, even when wet
    Highly compressible
    Moisture resistant
    Fast drying
    Machine washable
    Hypo-allergenic
    Long lasting
    Insulation made of Polarguard 3D offers the ultimate in high performance outerwear and sleeping bags. Polarguard 3D provides more insulation per unit weight than other premium synthetic filling materials

Care Instructions:
    Machine wash warm/cold with mild soap. Front load machine only. No bleach. Tumble dry warm. No fabric softener. No heat over 120 degree F. Do not dry clean. Store unstuffed.

Images

Can't find too much on the pack or the sleeping bag. The pack seems heavy for its capacity though. What is the weight on the sleeping bag? Zero rating seems pretty low, but to each their own. You shouldn't get cold, but you will only use if for just over a month of the trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    The Hubba Hubba is a great tent if you can handle the weight. Very roomy for one and versatile too. Very little condensation, free standing so you can tip it out to clean it and move it around. And tough. I'm sure you'll like it !i hiked about eight hundred miles with one and the only weak point was the bag it came in. Enjoy and good luck with your hike

Appreciate it. I have set it up at the house and slept in it a few times. I really like it for its weight and size. You're right, the bag does suck. I actually broke it up into 3 separate bags, so I don't use the original one anymore. I wanted to be able to pull out the rain cover and the footprint first. Doesn't seem legit setting up a mosquito net in the rain, and then putting the rain cover on. You are just asking to get into a wet tent.

Can't find too much on the pack or the sleeping bag. The pack seems heavy for its capacity though. What is the weight on the sleeping bag? Zero rating seems pretty low, but to each their own. You shouldn't get cold, but you will only use if for just over a month of the trip.
    Thanks for the information, it is on the old side for sure.

Shelter is a the IBNS, with a British Army Basha (Tarp) for rain protection.

Like I said, using what I got (or what I know has worked for me in the past). I figure the bag will provide some needed extra protection until it warms up, where I'll switch to Gortex bivy sack and a poncho liner for my sleep system (mail drop).

Cold weather/camp jacket is heavyweight Polartec fleece; I'll switch to the lightweight variant when I switch bags.

Some of the gear is heavier than I'd like, but until I get fed up with it I'll roll with it. I figure I'm used to hiking with *considerably* larger constraints and weights, so as long as I keep my total weight under 30-35 lbs w/ food/fuel/water, (I've got dog food and extra water for my service dog) we'll be alright.

Worst case scenario, amazon.com and numerous other retailers are just a click away - even if it costs a premium.

Sorry, didn't even answer your question!

4.85lbs and 4.31lbs respectively, bag/pack.

Images

Sorry, didn't even answer your question!

4.85lbs and 4.31lbs respectively, bag/pack.

Like I said, to each their own. My bag and pack weigh more than most, but to put it in perspective. Tent/bag/pack is where you make or break your weight. Your 42+5 weighs more than my 68 , which most will say is too large. Also, that is a heavy sleeping bag. I have to use synthetic, my synthetic bag plus a liner weigh 3lbs, which is still heavy.

I am with you though, I can pack more than some , or am willing to pack more should I say, so as long as you're comfortable, that's all that matters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++