Default PCT sticker price: can I do a fast (30 + mi/day) thru hike on $3200?

I am a college student looking to thru hike the PCT this summer.

Having hiked the AT in 2013, the only factor I'm worried about is saving enough in time to start a thru (May).

For those who have hiked BOTH AT and PCT - are the price tags similar? I spent about $3300 on my sub-4 month AT thru, and I know I could have cut down on my expenses.

LongGone
    GA > ME 2013
    March 28 - July 20
    "Never never never quit" - Winston Churchill.

Images

The first two question for you.
    1) Can you do the fast hike at that pace?
    2) Will you enjoy it?

if you think the answers are yes then read this.
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=22520

this will give you a good idea on what a 30mpd average looks like.

***UPDATE PLEASE READ***

For hikers who have done both the AT and PCT:

Assuming a successful 14 week thru hike of the PCT, is a $200/week budget enough? I've heard the resupplies along the PCT are more expensive than the AT, along with lodging.

Thanks,

LG
    "Never never never quit" - Winston Churchill.

With one 2000+ mile thru under your belt and tons of other things considered, that I don't need to detail or have any desire to go down the rabbit hole here, yes, I believe you could do a $3200 PCT thru.

As for costs comparisons between the AT and PCT, think New England prices without the hostels. Could you live on $200/week on the PCT? Yes. But that depends on how often you eat out in town and how long you stay in town as you could easily go higher if you aren't careful. Splitting hotel room costs, or camping in town when the option exists, doing neros instead of zeros (necessary anyway for a speed hike) will make it easier. As you noted, lodging is more expensive on the PCT as is resupplying due to the small size and remoteness of many of the towns along the trail. Cheaper lodging alternatives of staying with Trail Angeles have been decreasing the last few years as the number of hikers has gone up (3 out 4 trail angeles I stayed with on my hike no longer host hikers). You can save some costs on resupplying by buying food in bulk sizes and repackaging it into ziplocks at the towns with a real supermarket and mailing it ahead to the smaller towns.

Having said, "I know I could have cut down on my expenses," I think you already know the answer. Get on the trail!

Garlic
    Images

I hiked the PCT before I hiked the AT, and I hiked the PCT with my wife and the AT solo, so my numbers won't compare too well.

My 3.5 month AT hike cost me $3500, and I really doubt I could hike the PCT again for that little. I'd budget $5000 (my first-time cost on the PCT), and probably spend $4000 of it. But I'm a middle-aged guy with a credit card and don't mind the town expenses much. I also know I couldn't average 30 mpd. If you can do that and stay healthy, you'd have a shot at $3200.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

With your AT experience and budget, you have a good idea of how to save money on the trail. I think you can do it! As others have said, the resupplies can be more expensive (in some places the resupply is just a convenience store) and there are fewer hostels. It also might be harder to find a buddy to split a hotel since you are moving so fast. But there are sometimes other options - for example I think you could camp at the old airport in Tehachapi for $5 or something. Definitely invest in Yogi's book so you can plan your town stops economically.

For the Sierras you probably want to hike directly from KM to Mammoth (about 200 miles plus 18 for Mt. Whitney IIRC) because the resupply options in between are either very expensive or very time-consuming.

Note, I haven't thru hiked both trails but I have done all of New England and California.

++ New Posts ++