WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default June 8 SOBO SUL Gear list

I think I have it pretty dialed in but please let me know if you all think there are any lighter or more functional options than what I've found.

http://graysoncobb.com/2015/01/25/up...mer-gear-list/

Also, anyone have experience with what temperatures to expect in Maine in June?

how much experience do you have with this setup? seems to be catered more for a week long speed record attempt sort of trip than an enjoyable thru hike.

Have done any 2-3 day trips with that gear?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

carbon fiber trekking poles:

http://gossamergear.com/trekking/lt4...poles-all.html

"Cuben fiber rain jacket (2oz): Homemade, also acts as a pack cover, wind shell, and vapor barrier"

Is this either/or? Jacket. Pack cover.

Have you seen the Packa? Have you seen the LightHeart Gear Hoodie Rain Cover?

Quote Originally Posted by gcobb1990 View Post
    I think I have it pretty dialed in but please let me know if you all think there are any lighter or more functional options than what I've found.

http://graysoncobb.com/2015/01/25/up...mer-gear-list/

Keep us updated on how your trip is going.

Personally I think you're making some poor choices, but I don't know enough about your trip and goals to offer an opinion in full. Just seems to me like your main purpose is staying under some arbitrary number. Whatever floats your boat though.

Wish you the best, and seriously would like to hear how it's going. Perhaps you could join the twitter feed they started here, that might actually convince me to open an account just to see how your SUL trip is going.

Best of luck! =D

You. Ay want to consider going to the weather channel . Com and look at historical over night lows for the areas you will be in, hypothermia is nothing to mess with.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Water storage: 2 X Salomon 500mL soft flask (.95oz each), 2L Platypus bottle (1.28oz). At any given point I’ll only be carrying one liter of water. This worked for me in 2009 but I think it will work even better now that I am using two bottles instead of one. Before I would walk past springs when my bottle was only half full because I didn’t want to treat it. Now I’ll have a clean bottle at all times while the other bottle is being treated.
    You are basically adding two pounds to your base weight with this one. Water is heavy. I would much rather have those two pounds go elsewhere, namely to things that would keep me warm when it's cold and sane when the bugs are bad.

Thanks for the feedback. Jawnzee, I think I did a poor job of explaining my setup here. I will only be carrying one liter of water at most. The bottles are each 500mL. I have a JMT hike and several 100 mile trips on the AT under my belt with a very similar setup, just trying to refine it a bit. Thanks again for the tips everyone.

I know personally I would want a heavier grade of cuben fiber for a through hike. I would be concerned with the long term waterproofness and durability. But if your EXTREMELY careful with your gear I could see it. I would also consider a lighter cuben hybrid pack that's the same size like a zpacks zero with a hip belt. Hope you have a great trip.

Good luck (subscribing)

There are a handful of things that I would add, but that's not what you asked.

As for lighter, I wouldn't bring the Anker battery. It is hard to imagine that you wouldn't have a couple of hours in town to charge your phone on a regular basis.

U going for a speed record? Seems awful risky but that's me...I'm not a ul backpacker....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Ktaadn, I'm curious the things you would add.

You don't have even a small first aid kit? I usually carry a 2oz one.
    You don't mention when you plan on finishing. Based on the lack of warmth in your setup, I'm guessing before October so this is a speed hike? This is the one area that I think has most people questioning your list.
    I'm not fond of your backpack, for less weight I would prefer a MLD Burn or a Zpacks pack, but if you have used it on long trips and are happy with it, stick with what you know.
    I would prefer to go with my lighter Gossamer Gear Torso Pad + 1/8" thinpad combo instead of the NeoAir + repair kit (I never liked repairing inflatable pads), but I'm guessing you are planning on using shelters more than I liked.
    I personally like using a rain skirt with shorts as I feel dryer in camp later. A cuben fiber one doesn't weigh much, but you'd likely be fine without it as long as you are hiking during the summer months.
    Your homemade rain jacket is likely to wet out from the inside whenever you use it, but I guess you know that.

I think I can safely say that my pack will be heavier for my June 17 SOBO.

You're starting in Maine in early June? I think you are vastly underestimating the 50 degree bag. You are going to really suffer on some nights. Personally I wouldn't start with less than a 20 degree bag. But to each his own.

1. That quilt will not be enough. Maine and the Whites do not have summer weather, consistently at any time of year.
    2. I didn't see a ground cloth? Maybe I missed it. I can't imagine bedding down in the mud with a short pad.
    3. Black fly season lasts until the end of June. If you've never experienced it, don't. Imagine yourself running, screaming, scraping at the demons for the first month or so. I would add a face net and a bug shelter for your tarp.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

I just looked at the quilt and that is a lot of $$$ for an 18oz 50 degree! How about http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=69 It's about the same price but 32 degrees 19oz with a zipper.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

AT 2012

One pound or less added to your sleep system would make a world of difference in comfort... A slightly bigger tarp and a slightly warmer quilt. If, as said by others, your intention is to stay primarily in shelters then maybe the tarp is ok as emergency backup. I would be interested in looking at a bivy to improve the tarp and the quilt performance - especially if you own both already. South of the whites if things are going well you could always send the bivy home. And a head net does seem like a good thing to have.
    Lazarus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++