WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Half Way sign near Pine Grove Furnace

I was hiking from Pine Grove Furnace up to Pole Steeple yesterday. I noticed that the 1/2 point sign wasn't there. It has been about 5 years since the last time I walked past there when I saw the sign. Did it get moved or taken down? For that matter I also noticed last year that the mason-dixon sign was missing as well.

The halfway point changes nearly every year, the sign is moved less so, or when someone gets around to it. This year the official halfway point is 10 miles south of the Pole Steeple side trail. (1094.6). The sign may be moved, but the point is nearly on a road which would certainly attract thieves.

The Mason-Dixon sign gets stolen often but has been replaced with what I believe is something more permanent.

I was there on November 30 and it was there.

Images

They were both there as of May 18th of this year. IMGP1582.jpgIMGP1628.jpg

On my 06 thru I saw the old half way sign the one with a bird house and the register inside it, I haven't seen the new one yet their wasn't any sign on my 2012 thru, I think people steals the signs.

I believe the Mason-Dixon sign was replaced sometime is 2014 with a stone structure, mailbox and register.

Busky's photo of the halfway sign has been in place (moved at least once) the past 4 years. The only year the mileage was 2,181.0 was in 2011.

Default Midpoint Sign

The big Midpoint Sign is .3 north of Toms Run Shelter. In October, I took a picture of the AT Midpoint sign which is just south of Dead Woman Hollow Road. See attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++