WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking 19e to 19w

I will be leading a group of 13 scouts on this section of the AT in early July of 2016. We are trying to keep milage around 10 a day.
    Are there any certain camping spots or shelters that we don't want to miss? Or any things we should know about this section of the trail? Any info would be appreciated thanks!

Here is what the Appalachian Trail Conservancy has to say on their web site on their page devoted to "Leave No Trace":

• Travel in groups of 10 or fewer. If you are traveling in a group of more than 5, avoid using shelters, leaving them for lone hikers and smaller groups.

I remember "Beauty Spot Gap," about 39 miles into your hike, as a spot that would accommodate a lot of tents and has water -- it's also only a half mile from Beauty Spot, which would be a great place to take in a sunrise or sunset.

Overmountain Shelter, 9 miles into your hike, alongside the last 100 yards of side trail before the shelter itself, has room for a whole bunch of tents. There is water nearby, you will have beautiful views, and this shelter is the only shelter with a privy in the 62 miles you are proposing to hike.

And I'm afraid large groups routinely ignore the ATC's advice and sleep in this huge shelter (a converted barn) whether they have more than 5 or more than 10 people.
    Last edited by map man; 06-12-2016 at 11:20.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Thanks for the advice! We do plan to tent the hole trip as to leave the shelters for others.

I'm of the opinion that, in addition to leave no trace, a person should leave the trail with more than they carried in.
    I don't usually find much, but I do collect what I see and can get to and have room for.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++