Default Looking for a trail partner or partners for a new backpacker

Hi, my name is Kate. I'm 24. I have been hiking for awhile but am just getting started backpacking. I am looking for a hiking and backpacking partner or partners to hike weekends and up to several week long trips this year with the goal of thru hiking the AT in 2016 or 2017. I live in north eastern Maryland, so looking for someone within driving distance. I know I'm a beginner so someone with some experience who doesn't mind helping a newbie along would be appreciated. I'm easy going and eager to learn Also any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Just a suggestion; Is there a hiking club nearby? Going with an organized group is a good way to get started. I've hiked with more women than men in the last year.

go to meetup.com and see if there are any hiking groups

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi. I leave in Southern PA, but I work in Hagerstown. I am getting ready to do a section hike in the first part of June. Want to go as a warm up? PM me....

~Pamela

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Not sure if you're looking for just women, but I'm looking for a hiking partner myself. I usually hike with my brother-in-law, but his schedule isn't as free as mine.
    "May your path through nature, lead you to yourself."

I am a newish hiker planning to hike from Damascus, VA to Pearisburg, VA beginning 5/1 to 5/15 or so. It is about a 4 hour drive from DC.

I have some experience hiking and backpacking, hiked from Spring to the NOC in 2011. I live in Virginia, close to Maryland and DC. I don't know a lot about hiking this area, but also want to get out for a few weekends before a 2016 thru hike
    "Life is either a great adventure- or nothing." -H. Keller

Hey ladies! Not sure where ya'll are currently, but I'd love to meet up for a few days around June 7-20. I'm in NC, but traveling isn't a problem. Child-dog care in place & ready to hike!

Hey there,
    My name is Devon, I am 26 years old female and plan on trekking most of the AT as a thru hiker. I will have my dog with me, who loves camping and playing, so this is why a few parts I have to skip and come back to without him. I plan on starting in Maine and going southbound. I unfortunately have to skip Mt. Katahdin because they don't allow dogs, which is why I'm starting at the bottom. I had a partner who had some life events happen and now can't come. I don't mind hiking alone, but it would also be nice to have a partner for safety reasons. Must love dogs though. I plan on hitting the trail June 21.

I am not experienced at all but in June i have a week or two of kid free time that I want to use to hike a section of the AT. Is there anyone that wants a hiking buddy?

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out the AMC Washington DC chapter. They have hikes on the AT.

Hi Kate, I live about 15 minutes away from you in Delaware! I'll be leaving the area in a couple months but I'd be happy to give you ideas of nearby trips. There aren't many good backpacking trails in close distance unfortunately since we're in the flatlands, but we've managed to come up with a few good ones in the last couple of years without having to go too far away.

Definitely check out the Mason Dixon trail, probably the most challenging trail in our area and lots of opportunities to camp along the way though you'll either have to do an out and back or arrange a shuttle. Look into the York Hiking Club though I do not know how active they area.

I am also looking for a new hiking partner in the GSM area ~ if you weren't so far away we could be hiking this weekend* good luck finding someone close 😀

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I only do day hikes, but they are 15 to 30 miles. I'm always looking for new hiking buddies in south central PA.

Quote Originally Posted by KateAT2016 View Post
    Hi, my name is Kate. I'm 24. I have been hiking for awhile but am just getting started backpacking. I am looking for a hiking and backpacking partner or partners to hike weekends and up to several week long trips this year with the goal of thru hiking the AT in 2016 or 2017. I live in north eastern Maryland, so looking for someone within driving distance. I know I'm a beginner so someone with some experience who doesn't mind helping a newbie along would be appreciated. I'm easy going and eager to learn Also any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
    Hi Kate,

My name's Bob but I go by "Platypus" when sectioning on the AT. I'm also looking for fellow hikers to team up with on treks, since my wife refuses to let me go on my own (hiking is not her thing) and as I'm 55 and hiking alone can be perilous, I don't blame her. Unfortunately I live quite a distance from you, in west-central New Jersey very near the Delaware River. The geography between us is really a minor problem, however. To date I've sectioned the AT from Green Point, PA to Bennington, VT and all points in between. My next hike will begin southbound in Green Point and hopefully finish up in the Cumberland Gap. Would you be interested in joining me some time this summer? Our journey would likely take two weeks or more so consider carefully what you are preparing for.

++ New Posts ++