WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Franklin, NC back to Boston

Hi All. My friend is planning to thru-hike the AT starting in late March and I'm hoping to join him for his first two weeks. I think we'll be taking a bus down to Georgia and staying at a hostel that'll give us a ride to the trail head, so at least that part of the trip is covered. However, I have no idea how to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting from Franklin, NC (where we think we'll end up after about 10-12 days) back up to Boston?

Images

Catch a shuttle to Asheville or Charlotte, NC. Asheville is only about an hour from Franklin. From either place you can catch a bus or a plane. From Charlotte you can take Amtrak to Boston.

Or, just keep walking with your friend until you get to the Massachusetts turnpike in western MA and catch a ride to Boston
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Charlotte definitely seems like a likely bet for getting a Greyhound up to Boston (I haven't come across anything from Asheville yet). What kind of shuttle are you referring to? I can't seem to find anything like that. I wouldn't be averse to getting a taxi, either, as long as I can find one that picks me up in Franklin and gets me to Charlotte. I'll have to look into the Amtrak option too, in case that's cheaper. Either way, I might need to find a hotel for the night in Charlotte so I can try to get somewhat clean before taking public transportation

If it weren't for my pesky job I'd try to go all the way to Maine with him. Alas...

Images

There are trail shuttlers in Franklin that could help you. Lookup Ron Haven's Budget Inn in Franklin (http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com). Also, I believe that there are airport limo shuttles that would get you to Asheville but not sure if there any airport limos from Charlotte come out to Franklin. You may need to google that info.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I think this guy use to post on here, not sure if he still does.

http://www.ashevilleairportshuttle.com/

Keep in mind that the Asheville Regional Airport is actuality between Asheville and Hendersonville, the bus station is just east of downtown Asheville.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

after hiking in the great smokies last spring, I hitched from davenport gap to asheville. took a couple hours- 2 rides.
    there's a greyhound station in asheville and i boarded an overnight bus from asheville-knoxville which continued on to nyc. a megabus from nyc took me back to boston.
    my original plan was to take a greyhound from asheville to charlotte, pick up the amtrak in charlotte and ride back to nyc & boston. but the connecting bus was severely delayed, so the overnight bus to nyc was my best option.

the greyhound station in asheville is within walking distance of downtown. asheville is worth checking out if you haven't been there before.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Shuttle from Franklin to Asheville. Then depending on your flight plan either fly straight out of Asheville or Greyhound it to Charlotte or Greensboro.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Ashville NC has Greyhound Bus service to any place in the USA, you should have no problems getting a shuttle to Ashville but it will be a private shuttler, or the Macon county transit but you do have to call MCT in advance to set something up with them.

Go to Ashville because its an awesome little area to spend a few days. A great place to spend time after hiking. Greyhound to anywhere, as stated before.

++ New Posts ++