WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your pack(s)

My GF thinks I have a pack collection problem. I think I will point her to this thread to show her what a real pack collection problem looks like.

I have a Paradox Unaweep 4800 from Seek Outside in Cuben Fiber hybrid, which I love. Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 which doesn't really fit me and anything over 20 pounds starts to get uncomfortable. An LLBean Day Trekker 25, which is my goto day hike pack, a Platypus pack which I never really liked, but was on some huge discount at REI, so I bought it. They only thing I like about the pack was the 3 liter big zip bladder it came with. I also have an REI flash 29 that I gave to my kids because I didn't like the way the shoulder straps rode on my shoulders. Oh, and a Targus laptop bag, too. That counts, right?

I started out with a Deuter ACT lite 50L+10L. It was a good pack that had a comfortable suspension but was heavy. After at least 700 miles it only has minor wear and has plenty of life left in it. Now I use a Gossamer Gear Kumo that I love. Mine is the previous version as the one on their site now. It is a large and weighs 16.9 oz with the sitpad. The mesh pocket is quite large and holds most of the stuff I use daily so I don't have to open the main compartment every time I need something.

This is in my limited experience with packs as these are the only 2 I have used, so take it for what it's worth.
    "Remember that chap? Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said why did you go up there to die? He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

Images

Pack confession:
    Golite VO24 - 20L; 1lb, 6oz - a tight squeeze but works for overnights and 2 night trips with U/L gear (10 lb base) in summer.
    Granite Gear Vapor Day - 36L: 2lb, 4oz - If I need to carry a bit more, especially bulkier clothing in shoulder season. Also doubles as my travel pack.
    Aarn Peak Aspiration (Bodypack) - 47L+; 4 lbs - Go-to pack for hikes longer than 2 nights. A bit heavy by modern standards but great suspension.
    Golite Jam 50 - 50L: 2lbs - One of those bought on closeout/couldn't resist things for $60 but have yet to use it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

My Osprey Viva 50 ... aka 'Big Delores'.

My only complaints are that the the hip belt pouches are set at an awkward angle to be unzipped with one hand, and that the shoulders tend to rub me a little raw, but that could be me needed to readjust. Overall, it's been faithful and I love it.

A very old Kelty external frame pack (don't know the model; I bought it second hand in 1982) and an Osprey Volt 75. Looking to downsize to maybe a Circuit (seems very popular), or MLD Exodus. Anyone with experience with the Exodus?

Journal Entries

Gregory Palisades 80 && REI Flash 45

Journal Entries
    Images

My packs are:
    Ruffwear Approach, Small - on order (okay that's for my dog)
    Gregory Wander 50 S/M (52 liter)

The Gregory is a kids pack. With a small torso (17") there didn't seem to be a lot of options locally of packs to try on. I tried the Osprey Viva and really wanted to like it, but the fit was not the best. Tried the Deuter Futura, a little better, but still... By chance, in another store I tried on the Gregory, it fit comfortably. Then I was surprised to learn that it was a youth pack. Just to be sure, I ordered the REI Flash 52 M, and the Gregory Wander 50 S/M (in a different color), both arrived today. I thought the REI was going to be the one, but the Gregory had more adjustments capabilities and came out the winner.

I have the circuit, ran another strap through the back of the pack and fed it though the canister carrying case it can be carried on top

This year I'll be carrying a Kelty Santa Fe 4000. Weighs in at 4.2 pounds! But it's very durable, very water resistant, and most of all it fits me well. I'll shave the weight in other places.

Osprey Aether 60 with water bladder

Cilogear 60L W/NW Dyneema Worksack

Journal Entries

Deuter ACT 28 for the Mrs. Darn thing opens up like a suitcase for easy packing, etc. The Mrs. just loved this as she is so organized. Actually, I like the concept. It looks like it would be much easier to retrieve items from the backpack when you are on the go on the trail. I have the Osprey Atmos 65. I find it a little large for my weekend and week long excursions. I do like the ventilation it provides and the gracious shoulder straps. I do wish it had generous hip pockets! Overall, great pack that I plan to keep until the sucker wears out!

Cool Two original classics

Imitated. Never duplicated.

Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Bozeman built.

http://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/10...-packs-worked/

The Jensen Pack from Rivendell Mountain Works in Victor, Idaho. Frameless. 1000D Cordura. Real leather. 2 1/2 pounds. Hows that for ultralight, circa 1974?

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Rivendell-1.html

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co.../jensen-packs/

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

- Mile High Mountaineering Divide 55

- Mile High Mountaineering Divide
    - 55 liters, 5lbs
    - Super comfortable, great organization
    - Mile High Mountaineering Salute
    - 34 liters, 3 lbs, 8 oz
    - Dig the wrap-around zipper, good for day trips and overnighters
    - Exped Lightning
    - 60 liters, 2 lbs, 8 oz
    - Great for a week or so, very simple design

Mountain hardware wiki 65.

Sue Bob White.

osprey talon 8 for day trips, zpacks zero xs for weekends, zpacks 52 arc blast for distant backpacking trips, cilogear 60l for winter expeditions or camping trips, zimmerbuilt lumbar pack and osprey talon 22 for bikepacking

Images

Granite Gear Crown 60:

60L
    2lbs., 2oz.
    Internal frame

Love it.

northface terra 50 for multi-day to weeks at a time
    northface stormbreak 35 for a daypack
    Hiker
    Camper
    Fisherman
    Woodworker