WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shovel

Default Shovel

What shovel do you carry?

or

What do ya do with your poo?

My Ti trowel weighs 0.4 oz about 10 grams, works better than a stick.

Has anyone experience with the MontBell Handy Scoop? Is it strong enough to dig?

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124258

Stick or heel of shoe in. Soft ground. Easy to ' scoop' one up in a hiker box. One of the first things ditched usually.

Images

QiWiz who posts here sells a titanium potty trowel in 3 sizes. I have the "big dig" and it works really for digging.
    Last edited by handlebar; 02-03-2015 at 13:47.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

REI Snow Stake.

Its aluminum, about 9in long and weighs 1oz.

costs $1.95

Makes a great spade...and get this, it can also be used as a stake!

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a titanium tent peg, it has a dual use and it is lighter and works better than the shovel I had. Thanks to Winton Porter March 2013 at Mountain Crossing outfitters.

Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

People have been pooping out of doors since the beginning of time without lightweight shovels to bury the poop. But I guess lots of people earn a living selling junk to gear-obsessed hikers.

Images

my stick is cheaper
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    People have been pooping out of doors since the beginning of time without lightweight shovels to bury the poop. But I guess lots of people earn a living selling junk to gear-obsessed hikers.
    I have no desire to live like my ancient ancestors. I doubt very much they cared about the finer art of burying their goods, and personally I don't think dysentery would be very fun.

I also much prefer using a trowel, as sticks and stakes suck. I'm out there to enjoy myself, not to dig a bayonet hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Not on a diet of pop tarts and little debbie cakes. But more importantly, just think for two seconds what it would be like near campsites w/out privies on the AT if everyone (thousands of people every year) just pooped and didn't bury it. Oh, and how about those water sources? Part of the reason we bury is the toilet paper too... Stupid comment.

But anyways, I also use QiWiz's Big Dig trowel and I think it's great! Very light and perfect for the application. Many people don't bother and just use a trekking pole, a stick etc. and I'm sure that's usually fine but I don't like privies and plan to dig a cathole almost every morning, so it will be plenty worth it for me.

What I meant is...one can bury ones poop without buying a shiny new toy to do so. I suppose some people feel like real hikers when they can prattle on and on about which gizmo is the best and how much they spent on it. I understand HYOH but jeeze.

@Francis, Obviously you don't understand it...

@JJ, Qi's trowels are life changing!

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    @Francis, Obviously you don't understand it...

@JJ, Qi's trowels are life changing!
    Based on your comments on the GD thread, neither do you!

Quote Originally Posted by bcok View Post
    Based on your comments on the GD thread, neither do you!
    Shutup hippie! =D

Yup,ditched my old orange plastic trowel for the Qiwiz standard size one that actually works!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Yup,ditched my old orange plastic trowel for the Qiwiz standard size one that actually works!
    I've used the QiWiz big dig trowel for a couple of summers now. One of the most useful pieces of equipment I own. I don't think I've ever dug a hole that didn't have rocks and roots to get through for a large enough hole. That said, I just don't believe those who say they use their heel, a stick, or their pole. At least I can't dig one as they say.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Shutup hippie! =D
    The plastic orange trowels are a total waste. If the ground is soft enough for that trowel to get the job done, then you likely can follow the advice of these people who say you don't need a trowel.

But in the places I tend to hike (GSMNP), the ground is sometimes hard and almost always full of root. In these sort of places, the notion you can get the job done with just the heel of your boot is ludicrous.

So if you're going to get a trowel, get one strong enough to deal with these tough conditions. I can see something like a tent peg being a possible substitute, but I think you'll have to get your hands in the dirt more than you would need to with a trowel.

HooKooDooKu is right on.The word ludicrous is not too strong.Our waste needs to be buried--away from camp.Think about norovirus and dysentery.If you don't care about yourself at least show some courtesy to the rest of us. THANKS !

Section Hiker

I don't carry a shovel but if I did I'd get a Deuce of Spades. I haven't had to dig a hole yet but off the trail, the forest floor is very soft and the heel of your shoe, a stick, trekking pole, etc., should work.

http://www.theoutdooradventure.net/2...-the-tent-lab/

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++