WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This may be off point. However, the lightest option is always the possibility of not taking the item. I carry 4 emergency fire starters that I seldom use. I love a campfire at the end of the day. I normally build them, but seldom light them. Here is my method. I get up when it is getting light out. I leave before most. I have a predetermined itinerary that I seldom deviate from. I arrive at camp early. This routine has many advantages. Perhaps I will start a thread on those advantages. One advantage is the ability to set the stage for a evening campfire. If there is a fire pit established by the stewards of the trail, I make plans for a campfire. If there is only makeshift pits, I stay out of the campfire planning. After setting up my shelter, getting water, bathing, doing laundry, and hanging food, I head out to gather wood for a campfire. Getting into camp early affords the time necessary to glean dead wood of proper dimensions. By the time "normal" hikers stroll in, plans are well under way. They see my efforts. The gathering of proper wood requires time and distance. I gather enough for the evening. As people are socializing, I am breaking my harvest into suitable lengths. By this point I normally have helpers. As evening approaches, I allow one of the helpers to starts the fire. People appreciate my efforts and someone almost always wants to display their ability to light a fire. At that point I declare that I have done my part in gathering and they can have fun. Next, I enjoy the hiker deodorant / bug spray (smoke). This method assures a good campfire while not using my own fire starters and/or lighter.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I use flat cotton facial rubs dipped in wax. They work as well as the cotton balls but are not messy. In fact I've carried them unprotected in my pocket. I usually can light four fires with one pad. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvRq3NQuLLU

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I use flat cotton facial rubs dipped in wax. They work as well as the cotton balls but are not messy. In fact I've carried them unprotected in my pocket. I usually can light four fires with one pad. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvRq3NQuLLU
    Love it. Going to try this at some point. Thank you.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

a good one is the Horse Hoof mushroom, it kinda looks like a horses hoof and you see it growing on the side of trees, its pretty common. the ice man they found in the alps a few years ago he had a few things in his pockets this mushroom was one of them.

the above link shows how to use it. you can also tranport fire with it. it retains a coal for a very long time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++