WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Looks like film class(es) in college, to me.

Now, they want to try their hand at a slick and professiobal looking documentary? That is part of getting started. Kickstart looks like a "seed money".

It is either that, or "art film" by having two art-gallery or not shows per year, getting grants and hosting a no-drugs alcohol okay "opening" for the event, artist available. If that formula, 501C3 artist grants can get involved. Intersection for the Arts is one go-between for helping artists.

My only problem with these, is the first t time I saw one, the guy was going to film a documentary of the hike. Even though he reached his funding goal, even 2 years later no film was forthcoming. I'm sure he had a nice vacation but I'll save money for someone who has a proven track record like Squatch who has been successful raising money on kick starter and reliably releases a documentary 6 months later

She's got a lot to learn. Especially grammer, if she's going to write a book. But, any woman that takes her spawn backpacking, can't be all bad.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    She's got a lot to learn. Especially grammer,.
    That's funny.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    .... I'm sure he had a nice vacation but I'll save money for someone who has a proven track record like Squatch who has been successful raising money on kick starter and reliably releases a documentary 6 months later
    I know Squatch and like him but IMO he's gone to the well too often. Due to injury his AT hike took three years and each year he started yet another Kickstarter raising nearly $7,000 each time, the last $7K for the final 550 miles.

I'll buy his video and help by screening them at SoRuck etc. but I'll be damned if I'm going to finance his hikes beforehand, when most hikers work their butts off to afford their hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    To be fair, she didn't ask on WB, we had the fun of dragging her in here.

I was trying to be open about anyone asking for a donation for a hike from WB'ers but you are right, she was dragged in here without a choice.
    I'm bad, sorry. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Kickstarter has some great projects----many of which went on to be flourishing new businesses---but asking for "crowdfunding" for an ill-conceived vacation is a freaking joke. Get a job and save up your own money you bum.

Wow tough crowd. Its not like she is making potato salad.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...9/potato-salad

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    Kickstarter has some great projects----many of which went on to be flourishing new businesses---but asking for "crowdfunding" for an ill-conceived vacation is a freaking joke. Get a job and save up your own money you bum.
    I along with several others here I'm sure, am vehemently opposed to folks raising money for thruhikes. The saving/sacrifice part of it is essential imo. Legitimately raising money for a film if you are a legit filmmaker like squatch or jester for instance, that's fine, but the majority of these are clearly not that. I think the gofundme issue is a reflection on perhaps a weakness in a generation IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I along with several others here I'm sure, am vehemently opposed to folks raising money for thruhikes. The saving/sacrifice part of it is essential imo. Legitimately raising money for a film if you are a legit filmmaker like squatch or jester for instance, that's fine, but the majority of these are clearly not that. I think the gofundme issue is a reflection on perhaps a weakness in a generation IMO

I am against folks asking others to fund what is essentially a vacation of sorts. But I'd disagree with the point that saving/sacrifice is ESSENTIAL. I could bankroll a pretty comfy thru-hiker with no sacrifice whatsoever and I don't know that I'd enjoy it any less than I did if I scrimped and saved. Heck, I'd probably enjoy it more not having to worry about whether or not a zero day in town is going to blow my budget.

However, I think that if you lack the discipline to scrimp and save for a hike to begin with, you probably don't have what it takes to complete a thru-hike.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I am against folks asking others to fund what is essentially a vacation of sorts. But I'd disagree with the point that saving/sacrifice is ESSENTIAL. I could bankroll a pretty comfy thru-hiker with no sacrifice whatsoever and I don't know that I'd enjoy it any less than I did if I scrimped and saved. Heck, I'd probably enjoy it more not having to worry about whether or not a zero day in town is going to blow my budget.

However, I think that if you lack the discipline to scrimp and save for a hike to begin with, you probably don't have what it takes to complete a thru-hike.
    I agree with your post. If you have plenty of money, there is still sacrifice involved I didn't mean it to portray everyone should scrimp and scrap for each dollar. If you have plenty of money, u likely paid a price to get it, and if you just have it, it's still your money so it has value to you and it could go towards other expenses. That's still a price. Maybe not as great a price as a kid saving 5k from minimum wage jobs over a few years, but still.
    I think people looking for handouts for a vacation is bothersome to many of us and it's an increasing phenomenon . I heartily support filmmakers and documentarians bringing the trails into the mainstream, but I suspect many of these discussed projects are more speculative in nature to be kind, and in some cases, scams

YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

I don't know, I see these type requests, and I think of foundations like
    "make a wish" or St. Jude's children hospital...just seems a no brained to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Sorry, no brainer.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund my trips to Narnia, Middle-Earth, and Neverland...the Triple Crown of Fantasy Lands. Sorry, I will never pay for someone else's vacation, but hey there's a sucker born every day.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I agree with your post. If you have plenty of money, there is still sacrifice involved I didn't mean it to portray everyone should scrimp and scrap for each dollar. If you have plenty of money, u likely paid a price to get it, and if you just have it, it's still your money so it has value to you and it could go towards other expenses. That's still a price. Maybe not as great a price as a kid saving 5k from minimum wage jobs over a few years, but still.
    I think people looking for handouts for a vacation is bothersome to many of us and it's an increasing phenomenon . I heartily support filmmakers and documentarians bringing the trails into the mainstream, but I suspect many of these discussed projects are more speculative in nature to be kind, and in some cases, scams

What exactly is the difference between a filmmaker-documentatarian and some dude with a camera? I also view the majority of these "video projects" as just another angle to get people to fund their vacation, or in your words, a scam!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    What exactly is the difference between a filmmaker-documentatarian and some dude with a camera? I also view the majority of these "video projects" as just another angle to get people to fund their vacation, or in your words, a scam!
    Good question! I suspect hats are the difference. Real film makers have cool hats. People begging for walking money are likely less well covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    i think the difference is that a filmmaker-documentarian can consistently make a compelling product. some dude with a camera almost certainly won't. kind of like a good photographer shooting portraits vs a teenager taking selfies. one tells a compelling story and the other just doesn't.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Except that "make a wish" typically involves terminally ill kids with families that are sometimes thousands of dollars in debt paying for medical treatments. I'll put my money there first.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jawnzee View Post
    i think the difference is that a filmmaker-documentarian can consistently make a compelling product. some dude with a camera almost certainly won't. kind of like a good photographer shooting portraits vs a teenager taking selfies. one tells a compelling story and the other just doesn't.
    Hmmm well between the "compelling" crap that does come out of the entertainment and documentary film industries and the little gems on YouTube, I'd say that is not exactly true.

And how many film makers started as a kid playing with dad's camera?
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 02-12-2015 at 10:58.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Default What is wrong with you people?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    these folks wantin' other folks to pay for their vacations are a dime-a-dozen nowadays.
    Ok, where the heck are you guys seeing that she wants to use the money to "fund her vacation?" Im seriously confused. Because, for starters, Kickstarter and Gofundme are 100% different. Kickstarter won't even ALLOW you to post anything that they know will just end up in your pocket.. Aside from that, does she state ANYWHERE in the description that the money will be going into her pocket? From what I get from it, she wants to use the money to make the book featuring woman from the trails and their stories.. That's pretty freaking inspiring to me.

You guys make me question the morale some of you "hikers" have.. Isn't the whole point of experiencing the AT is to share and be inspired by the beauty you encounter every day on the hike? What about the awesome folks that leave snacks and sodas for other thru hikers..? Should we not gladly accept these small gifts because "if we wanted to have this experience, we should make sure to have out OWN food and drinks!" You obviously have hiked the AT for all the wrong reasons, and clearly have not truly EXPIERENCED it for yourself. Instead of spreading hate, go outside and open your eyes. The world isn't full of people who want to "steal your hard earned money" some actually want to inspire others.

What have you done to inspire someone? Sit behind a computer screen and bash someone you don't even know? Wow.. Impressive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++