WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I had some similar bad news last year, and was facing serious surgery. Before I was to go into the hospital, I determined that I wanted certain "comfort" things to go with me and be there for me to hold, look at, and think about while I recovered. I gathered some things together and put them in a small basket to take to the hospital, and it helped so much to just know that my "comfort" basket was close by. It's silly, I guess, but it worked. . . I took a tiny bottle of water from Bly Gap, some photos, a guidebook for my next trip, and a river stone from a special kayak trip I'd made. There were other items too, but you get the idea.

You could have someone hold onto your comfort items until you come out of surgery and then get them. Hang in there, and have someone let us know periodically how you are progressing. We are all wishing you Godspeed, and look forward to a trip report when you make your next hike.

Mrs. B, well wishes comin' your way. Have a family member who just finished 6 months of chemo for ovarian cancer, and she's doin' pretty well. My wife just past her 5 year mark cancer free as well. If you have any questions about any of that stuff, please feel free to PM me. My family wishes you all the best.

Images

Mrs. Baggins I will pray for you!.I am 65 yrs and thank GOD every day that I have the good health to hike the At and do all the other physical activities I enjoy.I will be praying for your return to good health and that you get to do all the things you like to do. Hike on and GOD bless you !

My prayers go out for you. I agree w/all the above posts.A lot of friends are praying for you! Take care and God bless. Keep us posted.

Images

Mrs. B, same here. We have had cancer in our close family and thank the Lord, we have been able to keep on keepin' on. Refiners fire you know? Prayer ascending, dear... and love,

Jane in CT

Positive thoughts your way... the Camino sounds like a terrific goal - let it carry you through the next few months - and look forward to the day when you can post your trip report here on WB.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Images

Sending out positive karma in your direction. Hang in there and be strong.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Good thoughts coming your way.

Praying for you right now. I am a big believer in the power of prayer. God bless you.

Images

Mrs. Baggins just wrote me to share with WB:

Hey Rain Man! Thank you much for all of the prayers, well wishes, and good thoughts while I've been enduring the surgery and all.

I was hoping that you could go to Whiteblaze and let them know that Mrs Baggins is on the trail to recovery. You can let them know that it's ovarian and cervical cancer and they also did a hysterectomy, removed my spleen, my appendix, and a tiny piece of bowel. Chemo starts soon and should last for 6 mos. I would love the collective prayers and positive thoughts of my beloved hiking family. They tell me here that at 59 I'm doing so well and am so tough because I hike.

Best wishes! Oh, and the answer is a cheeseburger on the deck at The Tavern in Harpers Ferry!
    That last part answers a question of mine when she said earlier today that she finally had permission to eat solid food again. When she was a sweet trail angel for my group section hike through Maryland, we all ate at The Tavern after she took us home first for showers at her house.

A fantastic lady and one reason WB can be an awesome place.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Glad to hear she is on the trail to recovery. Prayers for her as she undergoes continued treatment. Hang in there girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Mrs. Baggins just wrote me to share with WB:

That last part answers a question of mine when she said earlier today that she finally had permission to eat solid food again. When she was a sweet trail angel for my group section hike through Maryland, we all ate at The Tavern after she took us home first for showers at her house.

A fantastic lady and one reason WB can be an awesome place.

RainMan

Mrs. B, glad your doing as well as could be expected, your attiude seems great, that's huge towards recovery in my book. Wishing you a easy time through chemo and your return to posting, but more over hiking...all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Mrs. B, glad your doing as well as could be expected, your attiude seems great, that's huge towards recovery in my book. Wishing you a easy time through chemo and your return to posting, but more over hiking...all the best!
    Oops, thanks for bringing this Rainman...your a good friend.

Just now noticed this thread, will definitely be praying for a full recovery!

Journal Entries
    Images

It is always sad to hear that a friend and WhiteBlaze member gets bad news like this.
    We all seem to take life for granted, so much that we forget that it can be taken from us at any given time and from something we do not expect. I know I am guilty of this. I had a cancer scare like this and I am being monitored for it now.
    I am glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery now. I hope you the best and if you need anything don't be afraid to ask. You have a lot of us behind you.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I also just noticed this thread and am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I will be praying for you. I am also hoping to hike the Camino.
    Trillium

I'm praying for you right now.
    Only John

Very happy to hear that things are progressing nicely. Chemo will be a piece of cake after trail food! See ya soon on the trail

Images

Found out today that chemo will start this Friday and go every single week for 9 months. I will not be doing my walk of the Camino this year. Thank you all for your prayers, kind words, positive thoughts.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I just found this thread today. Good luck with the chemo. You are in my prayers. Stay strong. Cancer - of ANY kind - can be life-altering, but it also can be beaten. (from one cancer survivor to another)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++