WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock overnighter with kids!

I plan to take my kids on an overnight hiking trip on the AT near Lynchburg VA. We plan to go in late April or early May, so lows should be in the 40s. I have ENO hammocks and 20* bags for them. My question is will a folding or roll up foam sleeping mat be good enough insulation for them? I'm not sure how many of these trips we will make so I don't want to break the bank for only 1 to 2 trips a year. Thanks in advance for all the input!

Images

buy one and test it now. everybody is different. many, like me don't like pads. lowers i took a walmart blue pad was 32 degrees, but that's me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have used a Zlite pad in a Hennesy hammock on a hunting trip to CO. And it worked fine as long as it would stay under me but I have since read about stuffing the pad into the sleeping bag. This may be the best way to keep the pad in place!

I would test your setup in your back yard before trying something like this with your kids. That way, if they start to freeze, you just walk back into the house.

Everyone is different. Some sleep hot, others cold, some on their back, some on their sides - there's a lot of variables. I assume if your kids are younger, they're probably smaller, and you wouldn't have to build some wings on those pads which many adults like to keep their sides warm - so that's definitely a positive in your favor.

Thanks, yea 12 and 9 years old. We will do the backyard trip first.

++ New Posts ++