WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Standing Indian campground resupply?

Are there any services for resupply here? What about a mail drop?
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

No standing indian campground is not good for resupply/mail drops however, hike on up to winding stair gap and you can go into Franklin NC about 11 miles away they have several grocery stores and a wal-mart call ron haven for shuttle but if your going to do mail drops the Aquone hostel might be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    No standing indian campground is not good for resupply/mail drops however, hike on up to winding stair gap and you can go into Franklin NC about 11 miles away they have several grocery stores and a wal-mart call ron haven for shuttle but if your going to do mail drops the Aquone hostel might be able to help you out.
    Agree. You can do a mail drop to Standing Indian Campground, but keep in mind that it is closed thru March 31.

Images

So I just read elsewhere that this campground is a good ways off the trail. Let me explain what I'm doing and ask a different question. I am section hiking from Neels Gap to the NOC in May and was trying to send myself some food to a somewhere on or within a short walking distance of the trail to break up having to carry a full weeks worth of food. I will be hiking for 1 week and don't want to go into town to get a drop or resupply. I would rather carry it the entire time than spend that much time. So with that said, are there any options to send myself a box? I do know about the new top of Georgia hostel but it's pretty early in the trip so I was trying to find something a day or two further north. Thanks

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

In between Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap 9 (except for Wallace gap), there are no major road crossings. The Standing Indian region is just Forest Roads and wilderness. Ron Haven's services or a hitch are about your only options to re-supply in Franklin. And there a couple small hostels around US 64 area. Or jump off earlier at Unicoi/Dicks Creek Gaps for re-supply.

Your only option, for avoiding jumping off trail after Dicks Creek Gap, would be to hide a bear proof cache on your way to Neels.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    In between Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap 9 (except for Wallace gap), there are no major road crossings. The Standing Indian region is just Forest Roads and wilderness. Ron Haven's services or a hitch are about your only options to re-supply in Franklin. And there a couple small hostels around US 64 area. Or jump off earlier at Unicoi/Dicks Creek Gaps for re-supply.

Your only option, for avoiding jumping off trail after Dicks Creek Gap, would be to hide a bear proof cache on your way to Neels.
    Thanks Tennessee Viking. That was what I thought but wanted to make sure. I think I'll just load 'er up and go the whole trip with what I've got.

The campground is quite a detour. The trail down isn't very good and can be a river in wet weather. You'd loose the better part of a day going down there and climbing back up. Not worth the effort. It would be quicker to hitch in and out of Franklin.

But isn't "the top of Georgia" hostel in that area? Dicks creek gap if I remember right. Sir Packs-a-lot stocks resupply items and likely takes mail drops.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You might get lucky and get a ride into Franklin. I got a ride from the guy that was running the camp store. He did charge a bit, but with gas prices pretty high, I certainly could not blame him.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

The campground is about a 1/2 mile walk down the road from Rock Gap. You can get a shower there as well. However, it is so easy to get into Franklin…...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    The campground is about a 1/2 mile walk down the road from Rock Gap. You can get a shower there as well. However, it is so easy to get into Franklin…...
    If you do need to send a drop to us at Budget Inn in Franklin, it is ok whether you stay with us or not. (Ron Haven Hiker Services)

Images

Yep, carry all for the 5 days, but be aggressive on only carrying what you need, and rely on Ron for bailout (re supply) if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++