WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I am afraid I am a checklist hiker. . .

I just got into backpacking last summer. Probably put in 400 miles in 5 months almost exclusively on weekends. As I learned about other long distance hikes (initially it was all about the AT), I became obsessed. There was a time span that I hiked 12 out of 14 weekends straight. I couldn't help myself. There were so many hikes I wanted to do. I wanted to get to Fontana. Now I want to get to VA border this year. I want to finish the GA portion of the BMT. I want to complete the Bartram Trail. I want to start the Pinhoti trail. I want to conquer the smokies. This doesn't mention the several day hikes I want to do. There is just so much I want to do and what feels like so little time.

I fear I am becoming a checklist hiker. Before backpacking, I used to go up for day hikes. I didn't care I was only going to do 4-5 miles. I would spend a lot of time at sights enjoying it. I stopped day hiking because I felt like I was no longer seizing the day. A 4-5 mile day hike? What about the other 8-10 hours of daylight I thought.

So I started to look up some local day hikes I wanted to do. However, now I just have a check list of day hikes I want to do.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is there a cure? lol

Once I started hiking the 48 4,000 footers in NH. I couldn't stop. Even some of the best hikes in NH don't include those peaks. But because I couldn't hike as much as I would of liked, I made it a point to bag a 4k'er every hike. Some of those hikes were not really all that rewarding, but it was literally one more of the list.

But.. that list also taught me a lot about hiking.

Images

yes......i have (or had) or still have----the same problem.....

too many routes in the southeast---too little time.....

i think for me it was worse when i had a more "distinct" goal in mind-----and that was to hike all the trails in the great smoky mountains national park.......

once i got that goal finished---i moved on to another goal-----to spend a night in every backcountry site in the park....

after that goal got accomplished-----the third goal (which is easier) started up-----and that was not to spend a night in a place i had spent the night before......

and for me----that has kinda made the hiking a little less stressful as im not necessarily consumed with having to make so many miles per day, etc etc..........

at this point-----i kinda like getting to a camp early, taking a nap, and just enjoying myself.......

a "stop and smell the roses" kinda feeling............

It's a good problem. After my first AT section I set a goal of section hiking the entire thing. Without that goal I never would have hiked several of the sections that I did and I certainly would not have been is the same physical condition either.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Hiking afords us all sorts of checklists from mountaintops summited to miles walked.
    I've personally over the years been keeping a record of all other blazed trails /mileage hiked in Shenandoah Natuonal Park .
    The park has 500 miles of trail within its' boundry including the AT miles which account for one fifth of that 500.

I met a hiker a few years ago in the Smokeys who was hiking his final "checklist" hike towards the completion of the coveted 900 mile club . He was pretty excited about being so near on his final hike, thus reaching his goal.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I think we all fall victim to the feared and dreaded checklist from time to time. I have to confess to peakbagging: I've been working on the Catskill 3500's (32/39 now,, including the four required winter climbs, so I'm at least in shouting distance!). And I've recently become hooked on one long trail: I attempted a thru-hike of the Northville-Placid Trail in October, and ran out of vacation time when I had to take a few days off to recover from an illness. So now I'm really itching to go back and get the section I missed.

I don't think there's a cure, other than making a point to just get out and hike for the sake of hiking once in a while. It helps if the checklist at least consists of good places to visit!

I find that the "hike for the sake of hiking" comes easier if I'm taking someone else to somewhere that they've never been.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I know how it feels. I have logged a lot of miles on the trail. Unfortunately I live in south Georgia, so I have to drive pretty far to get to anything north of Springer. As a result, I have done al of the trail in GA several times over. That being said, I do know the exact miles I've done on the trail and what percentage of the trail I have completed. Let's just say I have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I find that the "hike for the sake of hiking" comes easier if I'm taking someone else to somewhere that they've never been.
    Agreed. I had a friend approach me about hiking. I took him up to blood as his first hike. However, I didn't do it the way I had done it more then 12 times in the past. This time I started from Lake Winfield Scott. It was an awesome hike and I spent (get this. . . ) 30 minutes on a summit just taking it all in. If I was backpacking, I would think "I could be 1.5 miles from here in that time."

I think I need to make sure I hike at least once every other month where time/distance is irrelevant. When I backpack, I have certain miles I have to hit. I hike fast and since I am clumsy, I look exclusively at the ground. I need to plan the occasional hike where I can pick up my head, enjoy what is around me, and "smell the roses."

Garlic
    Images

It's also called being "anal-retentive" and that describes many of us. That's a common phrase for a reason. There are more than a few peakbaggers among us.

Someone once said in regard to hiking the Triple Crown (the three long trails in the US), that you can hike one long trail, or you can hike three long trails, but you can't hike two long trails. The compulsion to "finish the list" is way too strong.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    It's also called being "anal-retentive" and that describes many of us. That's a common phrase for a reason. There are more than a few peakbaggers among us.

Someone once said in regard to hiking the Triple Crown (the three long trails in the US), that you can hike one long trail, or you can hike three long trails, but you can't hike two long trails. The compulsion to "finish the list" is way too strong.

This is super valid.

Journal Entries

Nothing wrong with having a list.

The list ought to be based on something worthwhile though.

Putting a trail on the list because it takes you places and shows you new things, is worthwhile.

Putting one on the list for some ridiculous reason such as doing all of X is questionable IMO.

You have limited time in life, and chances to hike as well, dont squander it all in one place if you can help it.

Especially when doing essentially the same thing over and over, in the same area, same terrain.

However, proximity to home, counts for a lot. Hiking across the country gets pricey by comparison.

If your doing it for bragging rights, your doing it for the wrong reason. Hint: Nobody gives a $h_t.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-08-2015 at 11:51.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nothing wrong with having a list. (...)
    Putting one on the list for some ridiculous reason such as doing all of X is questionable IMO.
    Some of us wind up being unable to resist that temptation. As well tell a fire not to burn as tell an obsessive hiker to not finish a list. At least for me, so far, none of the Catskill 3500's has so far disappointed. They all have their unique, uhm, charms and challenges.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is me. First I just wanted to hike ANYWHERE on the AT. Then it was "I want to go to McAfee Knob", then it was "go see the ponies at Grayson Highlands, that turned into "let's tackle the Roan Highlands". Eventually last year I ended up doing some kickass sections, with a foray into the Smokies as well.

The bad part is, I have a couple of 7-11 mile sections between Davenport Gap & Erwin to do, then the Erwin-Iron Mtn Gap section, and 19E-Damascus. I absolutely HATe having gaps like this, so this year's goal is to get everything between Davenport Gap & Grayson Highlands completed, including a return trip to Carvers Gap & McAfee Knob.

Also, I want to do a full walkup to summit Mount Mitchell and Clingman's Dome since I already summitted Mount Rogers. Geez. It never ends.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    This is me. First I just wanted to hike ANYWHERE on the AT. Then it was "I want to go to McAfee Knob", then it was "go see the ponies at Grayson Highlands, that turned into "let's tackle the Roan Highlands". Eventually last year I ended up doing some kickass sections, with a foray into the Smokies as well.

The bad part is, I have a couple of 7-11 mile sections between Davenport Gap & Erwin to do, then the Erwin-Iron Mtn Gap section, and 19E-Damascus. I absolutely HATe having gaps like this, so this year's goal is to get everything between Davenport Gap & Grayson Highlands completed, including a return trip to Carvers Gap & McAfee Knob.

Also, I want to do a full walkup to summit Mount Mitchell and Clingman's Dome since I already summitted Mount Rogers. Geez. It never ends.
    I have been able to do Springer to Fontana with no gaps. Also going to do Smokies in 1 go. Then to Erwin Tn in 1 go. Then I have to do Erwin to Damascus as 4 weekend hikes. If you are interested in a hiking/shuttle buddy for the north of Erwin hike, let me know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

welcome to the club!

i have so many checklists its ridiculous. consequently, I've hiked in 48 states. its a good problem to have.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

welcome to the club!

i have so many checklists its ridiculous. consequently, I've hiked in 48 states. its a good problem to have.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Nothing bad about check lists. Sometimes you just have to get it out of your system.

++ New Posts ++