WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PenMar camping or hotel

planning a hike from Washington Monument north to route 30 in May... wondering about staying around PenMar on second night.. any ideas where to tent since no shelters i can find in that area... did monument to HP last year and had a blast... thanks for any ideas

Images

There are if I remember a few campsites just north of PenMar Park maybe a quarter mile. I also saw this hiker friendly B&B near there on a quick search ; http://www.nostalgicdreams.com/
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Back in the day...they use to let us camp in the PenMar overflow parking area.

Don't know if that is still allowed.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

There is a campsite .9 mile north of Pen Mar Park next to Falls creek and the footbridge.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

No camping any where in PenMar Park but as RETCW4 says there's a nice site just inside PA at Falls Creek.
    Hikers use to sleep in the pavilion in the park but that's no longer allowed.
    Water, bathroom and a soda machine at the park, plus nice views.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Just make sure you show up well before dark or you could have trouble finding a site. It was a few years ago, but the last time I passed through there we showed up as the sun was setting. Heard there was a campsite in the area, but didn't know exactly where. We wandered around until well past dark until I finally said to the others I was with "this is hopeless, I'm camping right here". Not an ideal spot, but we were in the woods on reasonably level ground and off a dirt road which lead out of the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks guys, looks like i will camp at spot just north of the park... this hike will complete Harpers to route 81 in Pa...

Journal Entries

heads up.. get water from the PennMar park, the creek at the campground north on PennMar has sewage overflow issue, that has not been dealt with in some time. A warning sign is occasionally posted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobUgly View Post
    heads up.. get water from the PennMar park, the creek at the campground north on PennMar has sewage overflow issue, that has not been dealt with in some time. A warning sign is occasionally posted.
    Is water available at the Park in the early season (e.g. late April) or only when the Park is open ?
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Good question. I'd call the Washington County park office at 240-313-2700.

http://www.washco-md.net/parks_facil...enMarPark.shtm
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

The Washington County Park's Dept told me that the water is off when the Park is closed over the winter. The water will be on by the first weekend in May. However, if there has been an extended warm period the water may be on during late April when they are prepping the park.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

++ New Posts ++