WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Virginia - resupply

Hi all,

I'm planning to hike a large section of the Virginia section, southbound, in late May/June - approximately Mile 978 (Linden) to Mile 729 (around Daleville). I'm also trying to go ultralight this time, but am stuck on the food planning. Everything I've read says resupply is plentiful in SNP, but I can't find many details. I'm also wondering if it will be feasible to resupply south of SNP along the Blue Ridge Parkway with ad hoc store stops.

Question is: In order to go lightweight through this section, am I better to plan ahead and mail myself food or just wing it at stores along the way?

Background info: I have about 26 days to hike this section, which will be plenty of time, but with a hard start/stop date. So another worry is how far off-trail resupply would take me.

Thanks!!

Get AWOL's guide, which comes in northbound and southbound versions, either bound or looseleaf. It'll answer all your questions, plus give you distances, locations of shelters and water sources, elevations and more. If you get the looseleaf version, you can take just the pages you need (very lightweight) and save the rest for another hike.
    http://www.theatguide.com/

I am not affiliated with AWOL, though I did meet him in Damascus last year.

In the SNP there are several campground stores with limited and expensive selections of enough food to get you by, along with pretty much daily opportunities to score a $10 hamburger.

The only tricky part is between Waynesboro and Glassgow. The Duch Haus B+B is a good stop half way between with limited supplies at the store in Montebello, mostly snacks and can goods, but it's been a while since I last passed through there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Right before you get to Rt. 60/Buena Vista, there is Three Springs Hostel. It is a nice place to stay with great owners. They shuttle into Buena Vista for resupply. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...SPRINGS-HOSTEL If you aren't interested in staying there, I may be able to bring you into Buena Vista for a resupply.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Deer Hunter- did Dutch Haus Close? I thought I might have heard that. Hope you are doing well these days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In the SNP there are several campground stores with limited and expensive selections of enough food to get you by, along with pretty much daily opportunities to score a $10 hamburger.

The only tricky part is between Waynesboro and Glassgow. The Duch Haus B+B is a good stop half way between with limited supplies at the store in Montebello, mostly snacks and can goods, but it's been a while since I last passed through there.
    DUTCH HAUS B&B IS CLOSED as per their facebook page and unanswered phone calls

Dutch Haus Pub was still open when I hiked that section last October. Getting a hitch there was pretty easy, it was a nice place, great food and the bartender gave me a ride back to the trail. They will allow AT hikers to camp on their grounds too. Resupply between Glasgow and Wanyesboro is scarce though, other than that 3-Springs Hostel near Buena Vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Deer Hunter- did Dutch Haus Close? I thought I might have heard that. Hope you are doing well these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Like Busky said: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dutch...04443042934751

Doing good Sean. I hope the same is true for you. Ready to get out and hike some.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Right before you get to Rt. 60/Buena Vista, there is Three Springs Hostel. It is a nice place to stay with great owners. They shuttle into Buena Vista for resupply. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...SPRINGS-HOSTEL If you aren't interested in staying there, I may be able to bring you into Buena Vista for a resupply.
    Thanks - this is just the kind of thing I was looking for. The shuttle in particular - the time saved to get to Buena Vista for resupply will be valuable. Thanks for the ride offer too. I'll keep it in mind as I get on with my planning.

Happy hiking.

Also - ordered AWOL's guide, so thanks for that tip. Too bad about Dutch Haus... I'd heard good things.

my memory is failing. It wasn't Dutch Haus. It was Devil's Backbone Pub where I stopped in that section. Great food and drink!!

http://www.dbbrewingcompany.com/default.aspx

Journal Entries
    Images

VA overall is pretty easy to hitch in & out of town. +1 on a stay at 3 Springs Hostel, I stayed there in December on a section & they're wonderful!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wildwood35 View Post
    Thanks - this is just the kind of thing I was looking for. The shuttle in particular - the time saved to get to Buena Vista for resupply will be valuable. Thanks for the ride offer too. I'll keep it in mind as I get on with my planning.

Happy hiking.
    If you have any more questions about the area around Buena Vista, feel free to ask here or pm me.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

++ New Posts ++