WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Walnut Mountain Shelter

Got AWOL's 2015 version book...about to do our first section hike, and saw that you "should cook all meals away from the shelter" does this mean what I think it means? We will be there mid-March.

Images

The "rule" about cooking away from shelters and any place you camp is universal, and universally ignored.

However, Walnut Mountain Shelter has/had a problem bear, so the rule there might be a place you would want to practice it.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks Rain Man...warning noted. We will be in our tent away from the shelter.

Walnut mountain Shelter has a history of aggressive bears. There are now bear cables at the site and have been there for a few years, so it might be becoming less of a problem now. But the Bears are out in Mid March and their real hungry that time of year.

The shelter got a new roof couple years ago, but is still in really poor shape. It's one of the few remaining original log lean-to and is real small.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The shelf on it is also really short. I'm 6'1", and had to sleep on a slant. Even then, my pack (used as a pillow) kept sliding off during the night. I'm have been better off tenting.

Thanks for the info. Def will be tenting and putting food up. Might just search for a spot 8-10 miles from max patch.

Max Patch to Hot Springs- I will be there in a few days and checking in.
    how is camping around the Walnut Mountain shelter area? Bear activity? What about camping around the Deer Park Mtn Shelter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VWBUG View Post
    Got AWOL's 2015 version book...about to do our first section hike, and saw that you "should cook all meals away from the shelter" does this mean what I think it means? We will be there mid-March.
    Actually, what he's trying to say in a very nice way is: When you arrive at this shelter, just keep walking...

OK, maybe not a totally accurate paraphrasing, but still damn good advice

There are a lot of crappy shelters, but that place is definitely in the top 10, IMO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    There are a lot of crappy shelters, but that place is definitely in the top 10, IMO.
    My memory is suspect these days, but I believe the crappiness of the WM shelter is in my top-1...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bears are pretty common between Max Patch to Garden Flo. Definitely shelter bears at Roaring Fork and Walnut Mtn shelters.

Cook and hang food away from shelters.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

If bears are common there how far from shelter for camp and cooking is suggested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

We tented out at Walnut Mountain Shelter a few days ago and had no bear issues...but a mouse chewed its way into our bear bag while it was suspended from the bear cables. We lost a bag of peanuts. However, we picked apples that were growing just south of the shelter. Very tasty cooked in our oatmeal.
    "Are we there yet?"

Images

Tented doen the hill from Walnut Mountain two weeks ago. Looking out the front of the shelter we went down the wide trail/road that parallels the AT NOBO for about 200 yards. Hung my hammock and had a friend tent right next to me at the end of the trail near the fire pit. It was REALLY windy up the hill by the shelter. Something large was moving around down in the little hollow valley below us. Not sure if it was a bear or a 'Squatch but it moved around pretty good for about an hour. Nothing took my bear bag, but it was a bit un-nerving to start the night.
    Loved that shelter. The trip to get water really sucked, but the lone apple tree (loaded with apples) on that hill top, plus the gorgeous view of the sunset and stars, really made a nice last evening. highres_443202048.jpeg
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

For what it's worth, there's a good trailside campsite at a gap 3/4 mile north of the shelter in a nice little grove of pine trees. Plenty of good trees for hanging, and good water from a small stream about 100 yards down a jeep track.
    It's all good in the woods.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Walnut Mountain Shelter

Stayed there late November 2014. Mice were dangerous. They (mice) were fearless little pests. I laid my spoon down right beside me leg just long enough to close a ziplock looked down and a mouse was sittin in my spoon. A mouse shredded some TP inside my back pack even though the pack was hanging some one had left and pissed on the shredded TP. And they kept me awake most of the night running around makin "mouse noises". Also the wind howls through that gap.

I thruhiked in 2016. One of my most uncomfortable nights was at this shelter. It's in my top 3 for crappy shelters.

Journal Entries
    Images

I never eat or cook at shelters if I'm staying there. I always prepare/eat before I get to where I'm camping, and sometimes that is a shelter because I try to camp a mile or so beyond all shelters. When I roll into camp I grab a snack/tea out of my food bag, hang it, and move on with life.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

That shelter is built on top of an ancient native american burial ground. Stay away, far away.

Section hiked through here over 30-Mar-2018. Water source is fine, but you are best if using a pump. If not, get your water from one of the small streams before and after Walnut Mtn Shelter. The privy is fine, has no door and faces south. Folks hiking NOBO will get a show. Use a rainflynor something if you want privacy. No big deal there.

I don’t get the camp right next to the bear hang cables.

The shelter is definitely small and old. I’d be interested in raising funds and replacing it. PM me if you would like to get do something like that.

As for staying the night, go for it... no signs of any bears (tracks, scat, etc.). I think enough people have avoided this place that the Smokey has decided to stop bothering it. There are three camp sites north of the shelter. One next to the bear hang, then one along the ridge some 250 feet, and one below the NOBO trail approximately 150-200 yards up the trail.

There's a flat spot to put up a tent partway up the hill to the shelter. I left Max Patch in the dark because I wanted to watch the sun set and see the stars...the shelter just past the patch was full so I kept walking and found the tent site and was glad I didn't have to keep climbing in the dark to Walnut mountain shelter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++