WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section advice

Default Section advice

Hey everyone looking for some tips on what section to do. I did Springer to Erwin, Tennesee in June of 2013. Looking to do another 300 miles or so from middle of June to middle of July this summer. I'm somewhat inclined to pick up where I left off but I am bringing along a buddy this time and want to make sure we hike a great section so he gets the most out of his experience. We are both males in our early 20's and in good shape.

Would I be missing much if I skipped Erwin to Damascus? How is the hiking in early Virginia? Should I skip further ahead and do the Shenandoah's instead? Any advice appreciated! Happy hiking.

-Grahampacker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zradg7 View Post
    Would I be missing much if I skipped Erwin to Damascus?
    -Grahampacker
    Wow! You would be missing a ton of stuff, especially at that time of year. The Roan highlands are one of my favorite sections of trail I've ever done. And in June the Rhodos and flame azaleas are blooming! The balds up there are spectacular. Before you get to Watauga lake you go through the gorge with Laurel falls and of course Damascus shortly thereafter. You said you were planning on roughly 300 miles. It is 291 from Erwin to Pearisburg which would also allow you to hit Whitetop and the Grayson highlands. Honestly man if I were you this would be a no brainer!
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

I second that. Pick up where you left off.

Yep 2 of my favorite sections also....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup. pick up where you left off

Images

Another vote for pick up where you left off. LOTS of good stuff in that area.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Another vote for picking up where you left off at that time of year.

Postpone your hike to August-sept, and Id say skip ahead up to NH and ME.

Not to "pirate" this thread, but from what many of you are saying - Springer to NC in June is not too bad? (Note: I ask because I will never be able to section before the 2nd week of June due to being a teacher)

For the OP, I hiked SNP in mid-July. HOT, HOT, HOT! It hit 99 degrees at the NPS thermometer- 115 heat index. It was an awesome hike! (albeit HOT).

Thanks guys, much apprecaited. Shelb to answer your question Springer to NC in June is awesome. Not too hot yet and you miss most of the big crowds but you'll still get some flip floppers to hike with if you are looking for long distance buddies.

I did Erwin to Mt Rogers last year in Mid-July (2014). Even in July the heat wasn't too bad because of the elevation. Having section hiked 1700 miles of the AT this is my new Favorite Section: Roan Mountain, Roan Highlands and the other balds, Laurel Falls and the ponies at Grayson Highlands.

Plan on resupplying in Damascus, staying at the Woodchuck Hostel and slack pack for a day or two.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Wow! You would be missing a ton of stuff, especially at that time of year. The Roan highlands are one of my favorite sections of trail I've ever done. And in June the Rhodos and flame azaleas are blooming! The balds up there are spectacular. Before you get to Watauga lake you go through the gorge with Laurel falls and of course Damascus shortly thereafter. You said you were planning on roughly 300 miles. It is 291 from Erwin to Pearisburg which would also allow you to hit Whitetop and the Grayson highlands. Honestly man if I were you this would be a no brainer!
    ++1........... this is a really nice section!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++