WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries

I haven't used it too extensively but my palante pack is good. 35L waterproof, mesh pockets on the back bottom and straps as well as good room to carry extra water I love it.

Leonidas

Using a Granite Gear Virga II this year for a 8-10 day summer AT section hike. 19oz and 54L in a regular.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Using a Granite Gear Virga II this year for a 8-10 day summer AT section hike. 19oz and 54L in a regular.
    I'm looking at that pack myself. What would you say the comfort is weight wise? I've read some people loading it with a little over 20 lbs and them claiming its comfortable for them.

The old style SMD Fusion 50 and 65, SeekOutside Unaweep 4800 in Cuben fiber, A REI Flash 45, llbean 25 liter daytrekker. I have a Deuter 35 + 10 tall, with tags on it still. Never used it. Impulse buy.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Moosling View Post
    I'm looking at that pack myself. What would you say the comfort is weight wise? I've read some people loading it with a little over 20 lbs and them claiming its comfortable for them.
    I have had it at 20 lbs and hiked about 11 miles with it on a day hike to give it a test run. I thought it was pretty comfortable once I had it dialed in. I have heard people say it is good up to 25 lbs but I think it really will come down to how rigid you can pack it.

I started with it packed down without cinching the straps until I have everything in it but I found out that it actually carried better once I unpacked it, cinched it pretty tight and then released some tension only if I needed more space. That made it carry much better. I may even try it with my air mattress partially inflated as the backplane. Considered using my z-seat as well but then the z-seat loses part of its functionality.

Unfortunately, I have only had it out that one time so far.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

GG Gorilla, no brain, stripped, thinking about removing the hipbelt and frame for the PCT...

I have the Murmur 36 Hyperlite. I do not recommend it. If you're wanting something very similar though, the MLD Burn CF 38L is a better choice. It is made with a tougher material and only about an ounce heavier unless you were able to use the Murmur without the hip belt but I can only do that when I am super low on food and about to head into a town to resupply. The problem with this pack is that you need a very small shelter, carry no more than 4 days of food at a time and go with a super lightweight small compacting sleeping pad. I have it set up like this: sleeping bag in bottom, clothes shoved in between gaps, food bag, toiletry bag and shelter. The outside is where you keep whatever else you need. I keep a water bottle, water filter, rain jacket, sleeping pad, trowel and headlamp. Wait, did you want to bring more? Well, you can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Osprey Exos series packs

Quote Originally Posted by theory View Post
    I have the Murmur 36 Hyperlite. I do not recommend it. If you're wanting something very similar though, the MLD Burn CF 38L is a better choice. It is made with a tougher material and only about an ounce heavier unless you were able to use the Murmur without the hip belt but I can only do that when I am super low on food and about to head into a town to resupply. The problem with this pack is that you need a very small shelter, carry no more than 4 days of food at a time and go with a super lightweight small compacting sleeping pad. I have it set up like this: sleeping bag in bottom, clothes shoved in between gaps, food bag, toiletry bag and shelter. The outside is where you keep whatever else you need. I keep a water bottle, water filter, rain jacket, sleeping pad, trowel and headlamp. Wait, did you want to bring more? Well, you can't.

I have a Burn and feel like I should have went with a Prophet just for a little extra wiggle room.

Pack fit is really important. My wife's pack really won't fit me and mine really doesn't fit her.

Distance and environment matter to. A five pound Baltero can't be beat for winter camping short hauls. The organization and access are the reason it wins awards.

On the the other hand, on the AT an Osprey exist is great. If it fits you. If not, then it is terrible.

Journal Entries

My very first pack was a canvas Boy Scout pack. As I outgrew that one, I went to a Kelty External Frame pack. I had it until my oldest grandson needed equipment to go to Philmont, so I gave him all of my equipment and bought him a new lighter weight ULA Ohm. That Kelty is buried in my hiking closet. I reequipped my self with all new gear and picked up a ULA Catalyst, because It holds both winter and summer hiking gear with ease. High quality and a great company to work with.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    It all depends on what YOU are carrying.

I used a Osprey Atmos 65 on my AT thru. I had plenty of space, but those rare times, like the 100 Mile Wilderness, it was great to have the extra space for food. I saw a few people hanging bags off the back of their packs. To me, this is not ideal, as it does not distribute the weight well.
    I am planning a longer hike for 2016, and would feel comfortable using a 45L pack now.

My two cents.
    As much talking as I've done lately about using my replacement Atmos 65 AG for my thru hike, believe I saw that the new Osprey Stratos 50 has an adjustable frame this year and am actually thinking it might be worth downsizing.

Like you, however, I do like the security of having the "extra space" of a 65L pack (62L in my size...), especially for a first thru hike.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

I've gone through my fair share of different packs. Now it's down to two different packs- HMG for almost everything, and my Seekoutside for those trips where resupply are long durations.

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    I've gone through my fair share of different packs. Now it's down to two different packs- HMG for almost everything, and my Seekoutside for those trips where resupply are long durations.
    That just might be the perfect pair for anywhere a person might want to go.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++