WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What pack do you have?

I have a Mammut lithium 25 liter internal frame pack that I love but I would like to do a AT thru hike and I don't want to buy a new pack since it is less than year old. I would like know what other people have used and if anyone has ever used a pack that small.

If you are happy with what you have then I suggest using it. Don't worry about what others carry or do. This is your hike, no one else.

There will always be some hikers that want to tell others what to carry or what gear is the best. It maybe the right gear for them but they are not you. The biggest advice any hiker can give you is focus on what works for you. The rest will fall into place.

Wolf

The only issue I see in your case is pack size. 25L is a small pack sized to carry 4-5 days of food plus all gear. Most folks are using something closer to 50L.

While this isn't a list necessarily of what packs are being used on the trail, the following thread has some packs that folks are using: Pack Thread

It all depends on what YOU are carrying.

I used a Osprey Atmos 65 on my AT thru. I had plenty of space, but those rare times, like the 100 Mile Wilderness, it was great to have the extra space for food. I saw a few people hanging bags off the back of their packs. To me, this is not ideal, as it does not distribute the weight well.
    I am planning a longer hike for 2016, and would feel comfortable using a 45L pack now.

My two cents.
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

If your stuff fits it will work.

It is possible if you can dial your gear in. There won't be much room for luxuries but it will help you bring only what you need. Look up Loner2012AT on youtube. He used a 20L pack. I used a 32L on the 100 mile wilderness last year and will use either that or a 29L for my thru. You'll be able to answer this question yourself once you load your pack with 5 days of food plus gear which will probably be the most you would carry.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

I really like the ULA OHM 2

Images

Yes, people have successfully thru-hiked with a very small pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The only thing that matters significantly is whether the pack carries your gear well and fits you properly. If you can find a lightweight pack that does that, excellent. Below 20 pounds total weight, I love my ZPacks Zero. 20-30 pounds and I'll switch to the Osprey Exos 34. Much above that and I just need a pack that carries weight well, the percentage of pack weight at that point is small enough that comfort is far more important than pack weight.

Just received my CiloGear 60L W/NW Dyneema worksack in the mail; it's pretty legit.

I have a few years old Kelty pack that I'll be bringing. The outfitter told me it was a girls pack but with my lower back issues, I told him I'm the one that has to carry it, not anyone else. Feels very comfy every time I use it. Only issue is, it's a little on the heavy side. Going to try to lighten it up a little, it seems overbuilt.

I'll be using an Osprey Exos 58 on my JMT thru-hike this July. Done a bit of training with it so far, and am loving it!

I use the Rei flash 45. Great pack

Images

I've always held to the idea that you never let your pack determine what gear you carry. You always choose the gear that is needed first based upon the nature/conditions of the hike, then you choose a pack to fit and comfortably carry that gear, plus of course food and water.

Given the gear needed for the the colder weather during the beginning of a thru-hike, it would be difficult for most people to fit that needed gear, which includes bulkier clothing, plus 4 days+ food in a 25 liter day pack. Nor would it generally carry very comfortably given typical weights and 25 liter pack suspensions, even with good suspensions like your Mammut. Sure there are people who can and have done it, who cut down to the bare minimum in gear, clothing, etc. But they are generally either very experienced, or they are very cold.

I noted your age at 15 years old. I assume you are looking to thru-hike in some future year, not this spring. If so, there is plenty of time to research your gear, and make sure your pack will work, or look for a pack that will comfortably carry the needed gear plus food/water, etc.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    I really like the ULA OHM 2

OHM 2 owner here. Any pack ULA makes is a solid choice, in my opinion. Yeah you could go a touch lighter (Z-packs comes to mind), but when choosing a pack it's less about ounces and more about the functionality and durability of the pack for your needs.

ULA is a backpacker-owned company and their customer service is outstanding.

I like my Circuit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by featherhiker View Post
    I have a Mammut lithium 25 liter internal frame pack that I love but I would like to do a AT thru hike and I don't want to buy a new pack since it is less than year old. I would like know what other people have used and if anyone has ever used a pack that small.
    I started backpacking with a 5,500 CI external frame, rationalized my gear and swapped down to a 2,500 CI pack (approx 40 L). Did some more downsizing and am very happy with a 34 L pack these days, convinced I can make it work for 4- 5 day trips in most weather.

Speaking to your situation the best way to find out if a 25 L pack will work FOR YOU is to load it up for a 2 -3 day trip and try it out in mild weather. If that works out try longer trips, and start throwing in some tougher weather. If you can make it work you're good to go. If not you'll have gained some very valuable experience.

Personally I'd be sketchy on a 25 L, but much depends on the individual hiker. Lots of folks are convinced they need a 50 - 60 L pack, and I've seen much larger on the trail. Personally I'm enjoying hiking with a smaller pack.

YMMV.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

I started out mountainclimbing using a hand-me-down canvas Yucca pack, without the frame.

Next, I purchased a two outside pocket lightweight canvas rucksack from REI for mountainclimbing. I also had a waistbelt pack under it, an excellent combination.

Next, I purchased a Kelty three panel packframe pack: some rigging broke. I went back to a soft backpack.

I thought I needed a high volume pack: I purchased a Lowe Alpine Attack and Alpine Attack Summit pack.

I only needed the high volume pack for heavy fabric 650-fill "fluffy" gear.

Now that I have replaced the heavier "fluffy" gear with lightweight fabric Hammock Gear Burrow 20 850-fill "fluffy" sleeping quilt and XTherm and outerwear down clothing the highest volume pack I use is a 40-liter Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014 pack for 7-10 days out.

I also have a 30-liter HMG Black Summit (cuben) pack, or, my Lowe Alpine Attack Summit pack with an added large mesh pocket together that will accomodate sleeping gear and shelter, only accomodating less food for up to 4 or 5 days out.

That is my experience.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-09-2015 at 14:17.

I got out to Mount Rogers last Thursday/Friday and found the Exos 34 to be more than adequate for an overnight at about 10*. Nothing strapped to the outside of the pack, and just used the stretch pocket to keep a couple of layering options handy. The Zero would have carried everything just fine, but at 24 pounds including food and water, the Osprey seemed like a better choice. This was a little less of a minimal hike than my normal trip; dropping to a bivy sack and going stoveless could easily have cut the starting weight down another couple of pounds (and then I'd have saved another 1.5 pounds by switching packs). Lots of options... The point is, if you make carefully thought out choices with your gear, you can easily make a small pack work (especially in 3 season weather).

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by featherhiker View Post
    Can you make a 25 liter pack work? Yes. But I think it would be more functional to have something more appropriate. Most people carry 50-65 liters of gear. Most that carry a smaller pack have gear hanging on the outside--like tarps, sleeping pads, etc. I like everything inside, and I carry the Osprey Exos 46. But I am the exception, as most people I see out there all have 50+ liters.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++