I am blind as a bat without my glasses - I literally can't see more than 2 inches beyond my nose without them.

That being said -I always have an eyeglass repair kit with me whether in my purse or my knapsack.

This weekend was the first time I have had to use it out in the field. And it stunk. Between the supplied screws being the wrong size to the screwdriver not fitting existing screws to dropping screws never to been again -it was just a disaster.

So here's what I have learned:

1) store bought eyeglasse repair kits stink. Make sure that you get screws from your eyedoctor or optician that fit your specific glasses.

2) find a screwdriver that fits the screws on your specific glasses - don't assume the one in the pre-made repair kit will fit.

3) Work over a bandana or something to catch any "droppsies"

4) "dot" style bandaids make great make-shift nosepads.

5) if you carry spare glasses make sure that all of the above either work with your spares or make a separate kit for the spare glasses.

6) Walmart optical sells pairs of silicone nosepads for about $3 if you can't get a set from your optician handily.

7) find a rock to throw at the husband when he picks on you while you are trying to fix your glasses an inch away from your nose.