WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decent Sil Tarp

Default Decent Sil Tarp

I'm looking at trying a tarp. I'm not ready to drop the $$$ on CF just yet so I'm looking for suggestions on a decent tarp for one person. What size is typical for a something that offers some versatility as far as pitch options?

I suggest look at what tarps interest you, then, trying cutouts using a painter's plastic sheeting "drop cloth" and tape "tie-outs" with string and improvised tarp stakes. (big nails?)

I purchased two or three tarps before I found what I like about a tarp: catenary cut ridgeline, 6.5' width and 8.5' length. Most people want 9' length. Many people like end entry. I like side entry.

Many people like to be able to pitch it higher to see out, then pitch low to get rain splatter, or, horizontal rain out.

I would rather have a bathtub floor bivy. Others like a bathtub floor inner "nest" net.

These are the issues for people that use a tarp.

I will add, some like a larger flat tarp for a number of different "creative" pitches, and, use as a kitchen tarp in rain.

I feel that is more for camping. Even then, I would rather have a smaller tarp and use my simple gathered end hammock as a kitchen tarp.

I have seen a simple gathered end hammocks used as a sleeping tarp: one tarp, dual purpose.
    Last edited by Connie; 02-14-2015 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I will add, some like a larger flat tarp for a number of different "creative" pitches, and, use as a kitchen tarp in rain.

I feel that is more for camping. Even then, I would rather have a smaller tarp and use my simple gathered end hammock as a kitchen tarp.

I have seen a simple gathered end hammocks used as a sleeping tarp: one tarp, dual purpose.
    That brings up a good point I should have mentioned. At some point I'm going to give the hammock thing a try so that's something to consider.

If you want a standard sil flat tarp get one from etowah outfitters. Great quality and you can't beat the price. All of the points brought up above are true. I prefer a flat tarp for pitch options and have a myog inner net with floor when bugs are bad. Good luck.

I use a 8x10 Etowah designs this size gives me quite a few different configurations options.

^^^^^ this

I use an 8x10 Equinox tarp. It is light, works on the ground or with a hammock (diagonally) and gives plenty of room. Works for two on the ground. Connie's suggestion is good. Experiment with cheap plastic before deciding.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    If you want a standard sil flat tarp get one from etowah outfitters. Great quality and you can't beat the price. All of the points brought up above are true. I prefer a flat tarp for pitch options and have a myog inner net with floor when bugs are bad. Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Etowah Outfitters. Awesome prices. What size would you recomend?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Etowah Outfitters. Awesome prices. What size would you recomend?
    NM. I see the last few replies.

Start off with a 8x10.

Check out Borah Gear also. They are just returning from a trip to Nepal but they will be taking 25% off all orders in 2 weeks. I got a 5.5 X 9 tarp from there last year and it has been great. I also carry a bivy made by them that I can use with poor weather. The prices (not currently listed are) $100 for an 8 x 10 or 9 x 9 and $50 for a 5.5 x 9. I had a cheap 8 x 10 tarp from equinox first and decided I would get something a little bit smaller. On multi day trips with poor weather, I can take a tent but for short trips with nice/ fair weather I take the tarp and bivy. I normally pitch an A-Frame or a Half Pyramid depending on precipitation and wind. Here are a few pics of it set up.

Borah Tarp Side.jpgBorah Tarp.jpgMt Holly Springs to Caledonia State Park (Nov 2014) 054.jpgMt Holly Springs, PA (PA 34) to Duncannon, PA (Jan 17-19, 2015) 020.jpgRoan Mountain (May 07- 09, 2014) 019.jpgRoan Mountain (May 07- 09, 2014) 048.jpg

I should add that everything in the 3rd picture that is covered in snow was left outside the tarp (didnt know snow was in the forecast) and I was perfectly dry under the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Check out Borah Gear also. They are just returning from a trip to Nepal but they will be taking 25% off all orders in 2 weeks. I got a 5.5 X 9 tarp from there last year and it has been great. I also carry a bivy made by them that I can use with poor weather. The prices (not currently listed are) $100 for an 8 x 10 or 9 x 9 and $50 for a 5.5 x 9. I had a cheap 8 x 10 tarp from equinox first and decided I would get something a little bit smaller. On multi day trips with poor weather, I can take a tent but for short trips with nice/ fair weather I take the tarp and bivy. I normally pitch an A-Frame or a Half Pyramid depending on precipitation and wind. Here are a few pics of it set up.

Borah Tarp Side.jpgBorah Tarp.jpgMt Holly Springs to Caledonia State Park (Nov 2014) 054.jpgMt Holly Springs, PA (PA 34) to Duncannon, PA (Jan 17-19, 2015) 020.jpgRoan Mountain (May 07- 09, 2014) 019.jpgRoan Mountain (May 07- 09, 2014) 048.jpg
    Thanks For posting the photos. Sweet and simple setup.

Check out the Warbonnet Superfly. I am a hammock hanger and love the versatility it offers. It is considered a 4 season lightweight tarp. You can pitch it like a tent (with hammock inside or not and sleep on ground). I pitch it porch style on 1 side most times and enjoy the views from my hammock! Definitely worth checking out.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

I've been looking at Borah and may get a 9 x9 when they return and go on sale. I've had rectangular tarps for years and would like a square one for increased pitching options. It is a little big for solo use but is light and once you get shorter than 9', full coverage in a blowing rain is a bit iffy at least for bigger folk like me.

so it sounds like the square tarps have a little more versatility. Is that correct? I'm not quite clear on why that would be.

Images

A great starting out tarp is Borah Gears Borahgami tarp. It closes up tight in bad weather with lots of set up options for nice weather.

I find a large tarp too much for me. However, and 8x10 tarp may be used as a kitchen tarp, a hammock tarp, and has some useful pitches.

Here are two:

Pyramid tent
    http://youtu.be/7VF34Jhx7hM

Modified Pyramid tent

Here is another option: a 3x3 (meter) tarp
    http://youtu.be/yMAtpWQdVbY
    Last edited by Connie; 02-15-2015 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I find an 8x10 tarp too much for me. However, and 8x10 tarp may be used as a kitchen tarp, a hammock tarp, and has some useful pitches.

Here are two:

Pyramid tent
    http://youtu.be/7VF34Jhx7hM

Half Pyramid tent
    I think I'm getting the tarp bug! thanks for the vid Connie.

I didn't find the Modified Pyramid, yet. This is like it, but no door.
    http://youtu.be/FjTuM2A_ie4

Here is a Flying Diamond tarp pitch I like, because it is a spacious pitch and is set up fast by tying one corner part way up a tree, pitching out two corners and using a trek pole at the front. The second trek pole is set up inside. In the alternate, pitch the three corners, then have a short trek pole inside. It gets you and your gear quickly out of the rain as you can set up the remaining three corners from inside and under the tarp.
    http://youtu.be/gwL18cscQks

Of course, there is the "Monk's Tarp" pitch, I like, demonstrated at Mountain Laurel Design. I also like to pitch the Monk Tarp with one front corner raised up a little with a trekking pole. This catches and reflects warmth of a small fire.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...pID=89&image=0

This 8x10 tarp pitch is especially useful in difficult cold weather because it wraps under your sleeping area and is open to reflect on you warmth from a small fire outside the shelter you can add to as needed.
    http://youtu.be/pneD0wu8O3w
    Last edited by Connie; 02-15-2015 at 11:56.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++