Images

Default Big Oak Trail section of Florida Trail, Suwanee River State Park

I just saw a notice that the Big Oak Trail could no longer be hiked as a loop because a private landowner had closed access to the trail at CR 141 at the Withlacoochee River. However, I can't find a date on the notice and didn't know if this was still in effect or not.

Does anyone know the current status of the trail through the Suwanee River State Park? Our plan was to begin our hike at the state park and camp at the confluence campground next weekend, but if the loop is closed, then we'll have to come up with a new plan.

Thanks,

Greg Lee
    [email protected]

Images

Any update on this Greg? I was hoping to do this loop with my kids next month.

Images

Apparently, this is the current situation. The private landowner will not allow hikers across his land, which severs the loop. We are going this morning to do the eastern half of the old loop, starting at the boat ramp off of 77th SW street (south of CR 141). We wanted to see the Big Oak and camp at the confluence site, and this is the only way to get there now.

I'll pass on our experiences when I get back and let everyone know of any concerns.

Images

Trip report:

We were able to access the northern and eastern part of the former Big Oak Trail from the Boat Ramp off of CR 141. The road to the boat ramp is dirt the entire way and heavily rutted. I suspect access would be limited when wet.

The trail is clearly marked from the boat ramp to the confluence of the Suwanee and the Withlacoochee Rivers, and the mileages appear accurate. It is about 3 miles to the confluence campsite. I had assumed we would have the trail to ourselves because of the closure of the loop, but we were joined by two other parties, including 20+ boy scouts. Still, there was plenty of places to camp near the confluence.

Given the recent wastewater spills from Valdosta, we were hesitant to drink the water from the rivers, even after filtering. I carried enough water for cooking and drinking for the overnight trip.

On the way out the next morning, we followed the old loop north along the Withlacoochee until we hit the fenced private property. We detoured east, following the blazes along the boundary with the private property. There were two options to get back to the parking lot: 1) Follow the blue blazes back to the Big Oak (maybe 1.5 miles) and then hike 2.1 miles back along the Suwanee River to the boat ramp parking lot; and, 2) Follow the new yellow blazed trail which leads straight to the boat ramp parking lot (approximately 2.5 miles).

For an overnight, it was a short trip to the campsite, but it worked out perfectly with the novice teenager hiker I was carrying with me. This would make a nice day trip, with a total trip of about 7 miles or so (we did not have a way to measure the mileage on the way out).

++ New Posts ++