WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Premature Nostalgia

Is anyone getting a great sense of premature nostalgia already before their hike? Because I am. I know that I will be leaving my close friends and family behind and that I won't really be the same person I am right now. Even though this trip will be a huge accomplishment and that I won't regret a second of it but I can't help but feel little bit of a bittersweet feeling. So is anyone else feeling this right now?

Images

when i think nostalgic, i think the 60' and 70'. you were born in the 90's. nothing nostalgic about the 90's

don't set yourself up for a fall. just enjoy the day, one at a time.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Your just a little nervous about leaving the nest. It would be the same if you were going off to collage, going into the military or moving into your own apartment.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

when i was your age i tried biking across the country and failed. made it a week but missed home. kept thinking about the gatherings my friends would be having and this girl i had a huge crush on. since then i've biked across the country multiple times and have walked across it (soon to be more than) once.

when i got back home after that first attempt, my daydreaming on the bike obviously didn't translate super well into real life, and i realized that long travel like that isn't a vacation, it's a lifestyle that shouldn't be glorified just as life back home shouldn't be.

be careful about putting too much weight on the hike. you are already saying you're going to be a changed person and you will have this huge sense of accomplishment and you won't regret anything. hold your horses, some of these statements may not be true. you have to live it first. have i changed as a person as a result of my adventures? perhaps. do i have regrets about choosing to leave normalcy behind and since then becoming addicted to long term travel? yes. do i have a sense of accomplishment? certainly not as much as you might think.

first, you must live the adventure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jawnzee View Post
    when i was your age i tried biking across the country and failed. made it a week but missed home. kept thinking about the gatherings my friends would be having and this girl i had a huge crush on. since then i've biked across the country multiple times and have walked across it (soon to be more than) once.

when i got back home after that first attempt, my daydreaming on the bike obviously didn't translate super well into real life, and i realized that long travel like that isn't a vacation, it's a lifestyle that shouldn't be glorified just as life back home shouldn't be.

be careful about putting too much weight on the hike. you are already saying you're going to be a changed person and you will have this huge sense of accomplishment and you won't regret anything. hold your horses, some of these statements may not be true. you have to live it first. have i changed as a person as a result of my adventures? perhaps. do i have regrets about choosing to leave normalcy behind and since then becoming addicted to long term travel? yes. do i have a sense of accomplishment? certainly not as much as you might think.

first, you must live the adventure.
    you said it much better than I was about to.

To the OP. Please read this post careful, there is wisdom. Good luck on your hike.

++ New Posts ++