WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Folks, the trail is now passable. I left Springer Friday morning, and am now at Gooch gap. We got up the mountain in a 4x4 Jeep. Raining now.

Happy hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSew View Post
    Folks, the trail is now passable. I left Springer Friday morning, and am now at Gooch gap. We got up the mountain in a 4x4 Jeep. Raining now.

Happy hiking!
    Looks like it will freeze up on you again Monday. Trail journal entries for the last week have been telling stories of pretty bad conditions and lots of trees and limbs down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Ohhhh, so that is how you stay warm, you clear all of the blow downs.

So Tipi, if you had to eliminate some gear to drop slightly below 80 lbs, what is the order of things to delete and where does your rectal thermometer fall in that stack-ranking?

1st to go or must keep gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Ohhhh, so that is how you stay warm, you clear all of the blow downs.

So Tipi, if you had to eliminate some gear to drop slightly below 80 lbs, what is the order of things to delete and where does your rectal thermometer fall in that stack-ranking?

1st to go or must keep gear?
    I sleep with my scanning rectal thermometer and it'll never be left at home when I gear up to go backpacking. It's just too damn important. And people depend on me for accurate temperature readings when we're out in the field. I've forgotten tent poles and sleeping bags and clothing before but never my scanning Bung Probe.

But I do leave my 12x12 tent at home on occasion though not always------see below---

Yippee more snow last night but warmer and rainy all next week. Not good weather for maintenance. Tell somebody thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Portions of the A.T. and approach trail from Amicalola Falls State Park to Springer Mountain in Georgia and other locations along the Appalachian Trail may be hazardous or impassable due to blowdowns from recent ice storms. Access roads may also be blocked, closed, or hazardous due to fallen trees, ice, or snow. Temperatures approaching zero or below, combined with high winds, will produce dangerous conditions across the entire A.T. in the coming few days.

Hikers are advised to postpone their hikes and confirm that conditions have improved before hitting the Trail.

Here is a more detailed advisory from the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest in Georgia:

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/news-events/?cid=STELPRD3829963

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    My headstart out of HF is sounding better all the time...
    Charliehorse

Our southern trees don't like the snow and ice, either. If you're out there, mind where you pitch your tent!!!

We have 3-4" already here at Grassy Gap and expecting 5-8" tonight. Could be up to a foot by tomorrow morning. Not much to those of you up north but for the trail in GA that is substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I use a scanning rectal thermometer which comes in handy during group trips as everyone likes to get their own personal temps before breakfast. I go from tent to tent and politely scan all bungholes before morning tea. No insertion necessary, naturally.
    Kind of reminds me of boot camp. Face the wall, drop your knickers and assume the position.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Default Travel to AT in GA discouraged due to hazardous weather and trail conditions

From the U.S. Forest Service in north Georgia:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/conf/a...ces/?aid=27017

Weather Related Road and Trail Information on the Blue Ridge Ranger District
    Date(s): Feb 25, 2015
    Contact(s): Blue Ridge Ranger District at (706) 745-6928

Forest Service roads continue to be impacted by winter weather, as many roads have a layer of ice on them and hazardous conditions remain.

The latest forecast for the North Georgia mountains indicates an additional six inches is expected in the North Georgia Mountains. It is possible that new hazards may arise over the next two days, therefore, travel along all Forest Service roads is discouraged.

The Jake and Bull Trail System in Lumpkin County remains closed due to impassable roads and hazardous conditions from earlier winter weather events.

Travel to the Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye Trail along Forest Service roads is discouraged due to hazardous weather and trail conditions.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Sounds like a lot of people in the next few days will be doing the approach trail whether they want to or not. If the first week of March crowd gets bottled up at the bottom, it will be crazy. A reinforcing shot of arctic air is also due to arrive shortly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Tipi, NOW I GET IT

Based on the pic above now I see why you carry 80lbs, a huge tent AND A PROPANE TANK.

Very high end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++