WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wash your hands and wash your hands again......

Journal Entries
    Images

Just wanted to make sure everyone is still thinking about keeping their hands clean!

If you do notice anyone getting sick, don't forget to send an email to [email protected].

Stay Well out there!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Carrying a few pairs a medical gloves would not hurt.

I caught up with my son and hiked from NOC into the Smokies, but am now back in Boston. While on the trail, rumors of outbreaks of norovirus to the south made it up to us. Fortunately one of the folks at the shelter was a physician and advised on the use of soap and water, as opposed to hand-sanitizer. Hopefully this information will propagate.

I'll also note that we'd heard that there were 70+ hikers at the Gooch Shelter the other night. This makes for crazy conditions

People need to stop pooping in the springs and smearing it on the walls in the shelters.

I was doing trail magic last week at wayah gap giving RCs and Moon Pie when only two hikers gave me fist bumps. The rest shook hands. Seems there needs to be more education on the trail directly. Maybe the trail runner and workers could spread the word as they pass through. Of course some hikers can not be told anything as they know it all.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHuth View Post
    I caught up with my son and hiked from NOC into the Smokies, but am now back in Boston. While on the trail, rumors of outbreaks of norovirus to the south made it up to us. Fortunately one of the folks at the shelter was a physician and advised on the use of soap and water, as opposed to hand-sanitizer. Hopefully this information will propagate.

I'll also note that we'd heard that there were 70+ hikers at the Gooch Shelter the other night. This makes for crazy conditions
    Another rumour was reported on a hiker's blog yesterday:

http://wanderingjourneys.net/at2015/...49-7-tentsite/

It has made it's appearance in the Smokies. Keep those hands clean and carry some anti bacterial soap.

There were a ton at the Blue Mountain shelter last week on a rainy day. We went on through and when one of the guys who stayed the night caught up to us the next day, he was vomiting everywhere and claimed to have very loose stool. He was asking about how to get off the trail and go home. I think some trail Angels helped him out at Dick's Creek Gap. I saw him two days later and he said it was gone in a day or two. I don't know for sure if it was norovirus, or not, but it sounds similar.

I also have a buddy I'm hiking with who is super ill right now. I'm from NC and came off the trail for 2 days for a scheduled double zero; but, I understand he's in a bad way in Franklin right now. Soap and water folks, soap and water. Plus, the trail is much better away from shelters!
    Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on an impulse…

https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/

imagine the nastiest cruise ship on earth .... where a couple thousand people on this filthy boat are touching every solid surface with dirty hands, the kitchen is serving food on dirty dishes, the latrines are filthy, people urinate in the pools, people are coughing, spitting, sneezing bodily fluids all over the boat. Germs, viruses, bacteria, every microbe imagineable is out there ready to inhabit you!

now.... take that image to the AT. That's the typical shelter, hostel or privy during NoBo thru hiker season. None of these "facilities" have housekeeping crews or decon crews. Noravirus is about the worst G.I. illness one can get. Dehydration, hours hanging your head over the commode, (or in the woods), weakness, nausea, vomitting (projectile vomitting too)... it's the worst kind of bein' sick you can imagine.

So the advice given to avoid these filthy places is good advice.
    Last edited by Praha4; 03-27-2015 at 15:09.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++