WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    So should you take them? Flip a coin and then deal with it. Part of a thru hike is dealing with the unexpected.
    Ha! That's actually what I did. Coin said no spikes.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. This is all great info! I'm also very curious about those Vargo cleats.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I'll be right behind you leaving from the approach on the 9th. My hiking partner is taking a set, but I'm going without.

We'll see who's the smart one.

Leaving March 9th as well. I will have a set of Kahtoolas with me. I will also have a cheap little 4oz pair that has tips like a trekking pole. If I see you on Blood Mountain trying to go up it like you are on a treadmill, I will toss the 4 oz pair to you

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Microspikes do dull eventually. Also, at the same time the chains wear away.

I just recently replaced a 4-year-old pair that had the spikes worn too short to be safe - and at the same time finally had a chain link break. Oddly enough, the silicone still looked new!

(And remember that I walk a couple of miles on them just about every day in the winter - on pavement, yet, which eats traction gear. Before there were microspikes, I'd break a couple pair of Yaktrax per winter.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Anyone else reconsidering cleats/microspikes/crampons due to the recent weather we've been having?

I still probably won't bring a set but would be lying if I said I hadn't be thinking about it. Good news is that it looks like the Springer mtn area is due for a warmup soon but we all know that can and probably will change. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of Vargo cleats.

I'll be bringing my microspikes for a March trip as they're part of my standard winter load. Why not?

Here's a good Ed Viesturs quote as a guide when climbing Mt Ranier:

"What's another ten pounds when you're in great shape?"

Heavyweight witchery!

The reality is though 'What's another 4oz's when you're in moderately decent shape...' =D

I'm still on the fence. If I dish out the 60 bucks I'll probably bring them and send em home after SMNP. I'll sit on it until Monday and if I'm still considering it than I'll just buy em and say screw it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Anyone else reconsidering cleats/microspikes/crampons due to the recent weather we've been having?

I still probably won't bring a set but would be lying if I said I hadn't be thinking about it. Good news is that it looks like the Springer mtn area is due for a warmup soon but we all know that can and probably will change. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of Vargo cleats.

I am walking trails that are nowhere near as bad as the AT right now. I start my hike in a week. If I didn't have spike yesterday I couldn't have finished. The snow had melted in the day, then froze at night, basically making a frozen creek out of the trail

Great topic to bring up. I had been on the fence as to whether to bring mine or not. A pair of Katoohla Microspikes, size medium, weigh 13.4 oz. Based on the continual snow storms battering the East and from the discussion in this thread - I'm planning on bring them. I hit the trail on 4 March.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++