WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Slo-go'en got it right: stop at Jarrard Gap then its a beautiful walk (5m) over Blood Mtn to Neel Gap. Definitely stay at Blood Mtn Cabins. Good hiking!!

I prefer to stop at Lance creek campground...built in last couple of years....its before you get to Jarrard Gap and is about an 8 mile hike from Gooch Mtn shelter.I'll be doing my annual Springer to Dick's Creek hike ...beginning March 14...hope to see y'all out there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saralynne1982 View Post
    I was on the act web site yesterday and they stated there is a bear canister requirement for these 5 miles. 1. Is this still the case? 2.are there options for rental at some point or do I need to being my own? 3. Any other spots in the trail with a bear canister requirements?

I was going to carry a canister for the whole trail, but I did a few day hikes with it, and um, no. Takes up too much room, weighs several pounds, and overall is just a pain. Good container, and good seat, but not worth it.

Couldn't imagine carrying a canister for the entire trail. Did a two day hike with in Pisgah once and wanted to blow it up with fire and hatred when I got home.

I was wrong.Jarrard Gap is part of the zone where canisters are required.I called the forest service to me sure and the regulation includes the campsite at Jarrard Gap.Sorry.

This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter.
    This infers that it does not include Jarrard Gap but according to the postings in and about the area, Jarrard Gap campsites are included. When I thru-hiked in 2013, I camped just before Jarrard Gap (down the path to the water source, but off to the right). IIRC, rangers came into the camp at Jarrard Gap that evening to issue tickets.
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

Images

From the ATC website

GEORGIA

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
    A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

I have often been accused of being too logical.

However.....if there IS a need for bear proof food containment in this small area....why not put in a bear box at each of the shelters???

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    I have often been accused of being too logical.

However.....if there IS a need for bear proof food containment in this small area....why not put in a bear box at each of the shelters???
    The argument is that the tourists (disrespectful backpackers included) will fill them with garbage much like they often do to the shelters and the privies. To put it another way "This is why we can't have nice things!"
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You guys need to take this more seriously, beer are nothing to joke about.

Beets never hurt anyone.
    schrute3.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++