WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I'm with you on this. Just need to worry about earth shakers if you go too far.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I'm with you on this. Just need to worry about earth shakers if you go too far.
    Grinning. I know where to stop.
    I don’t go too far West.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Why not just put the 10 essentials in your day pack and quit worrying about it? It is a day hike so what is the big deal about carrying a pound or two of stuff you might not need depending on the season? Does it really make that big a difference? Better to be over prepared than have an "Oh crud" moment when you realize that you need those items you left at home because you out smarted yourself.
    How far do the majority of hikers get into the remote "backcountry" on a day hike anyway? Is it REALLY all that backcountry most day hikers get into? C'mon. IMO the vast majority of day hikers dont veer more than 10 miles from a TH or their car or a road(sometimes major well traveled one) or from a NP lodge, etc for a RT 20 miler. I'd muse the vast majority of day hikers dont even go 20 miles RT! The safety essentials should mirror the situation, trip, and one's abilities. OMG more FAK's with more stuff most folks dont know how to use as they dont have the knowledge. How much/how often do conditions dictate that a party needs a SAT or PLB in such day hike situations? Going solo to truly remote sites or encountering dangerous situations like The Maze or canyoneering on perhaps longer distance off trail day hikes the stakes are raised. How many day hikes does that include among all those doing day hikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    How far do the majority of hikers get into the remote "backcountry" on a day hike anyway? Is it REALLY all that backcountry most day hikers get into? C'mon. IMO the vast majority of day hikers dont veer more than 10 miles from a TH or their car or a road(sometimes major well traveled one) or from a NP lodge, etc for a RT 20 miler. I'd muse the vast majority of day hikers dont even go 20 miles RT! The safety essentials should mirror the situation, trip, and one's abilities. OMG more FAK's with more stuff most folks dont know how to use as they dont have the knowledge. How much/how often do conditions dictate that a party needs a SAT or PLB in such day hike situations? Going solo to truly remote sites or encountering dangerous situations like The Maze or canyoneering on perhaps longer distance off trail day hikes the stakes are raised. How many day hikes does that include among all those doing day hikes?
    If you are out by yourself I believe you should be prepared whether it is 5 miles or 50 miles back to the trailhead. I have never been in a car crash were I needed a seat belt but I won't drive without one on. Just because I haven't needed it doesn't mean I won't someday. I have the same attitude about the 10 essentials. Serious, what is the penalty for carrying the 10 essentials? I just don't get it.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    . . . Serious, what is the penalty for carrying the 10 essentials? I just don't get it.
    Because, for many of us, the ten essentials are not the same for each trip. So, why not just cary what you need for each trip. From one trip to the next I may want a more or less complex first aid kit. I may want a rain coat one day and a poncho the next. For a remote winter trip I may want a significantly more substantial shelter than I would carry on a short summer jaunt. I may not feel like taking the time to find and print out a map or an area I'm familiar with while I may want detailed maps on another trip. Why carry and empty water bottle if I have plenty of water along route and will treat and drink (or not treat) as appropriate along the trail. Frankly, I rarely give a rip about whether or not I have the ability to start a fire, so why bother carrying matches and fire starter for above treeline or in mid summer when nights get down to 60 degrees at most.

Since I tune my gear for each trip, I don't have a static bag of gear that I take each time. Since I'm going through and figuring out what I need for each trip and some trips don't need some of the ten essentials, why would I put them in my bag and add useless weight and bulk.

Seriously, what is the penalty for tuning your gear for each trip? I just don't get it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Because, for many of us, the ten essentials are not the same for each trip. So, why not just cary what you need for each trip. From one trip to the next I may want a more or less complex first aid kit. I may want a rain coat one day and a poncho the next. For a remote winter trip I may want a significantly more substantial shelter than I would carry on a short summer jaunt. I may not feel like taking the time to find and print out a map or an area I'm familiar with while I may want detailed maps on another trip. Why carry and empty water bottle if I have plenty of water along route and will treat and drink (or not treat) as appropriate along the trail. Frankly, I rarely give a rip about whether or not I have the ability to start a fire, so why bother carrying matches and fire starter for above treeline or in mid summer when nights get down to 60 degrees at most.

Since I tune my gear for each trip, I don't have a static bag of gear that I take each time. Since I'm going through and figuring out what I need for each trip and some trips don't need some of the ten essentials, why would I put them in my bag and add useless weight and bulk.

Seriously, what is the penalty for tuning your gear for each trip? I just don't get it.
    You bring up some valid points about tuning gear for each trip. I wonder how many "rookie" or lightly experienced hiker packed gear to handle a hurricane. More experienced hikers "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em" so to speak. I see a lot of posts from members about "I'm going to do a weekend or two week hike thru so and so, should I be worried about the weather?" This is the penalty for not carrying the 10 essentials and not properly planning your trip. Until they start selling crystal balls at REI I'm going to pack all ten essentials.
    Blackheart

You bring up some valid points about tuning gear for each trip. I wonder how many "rookie" or lightly experienced hiker packed gear to handle a hurricane. More experienced hikers "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em" so to speak. I see a lot of posts from members about "I'm going to do a weekend or two week hike thru so and so, should I be worried about the weather?" This is the penalty for not carrying the 10 essentials and not properly planning your trip. Until they start selling crystal balls at REI I'm going to pack all ten essentials.
    Maybe thats the clue, inexperienced hikers may benefit from the "10 essentials", experience then takes over so the essentials can be trimmed or changed for the hike. Since we are not born with this knowledge, the learning process has to start somewhere.

. . . Until they start selling crystal balls at REI I'm going to pack all ten essentials.
    To quote the Mountaineers Blog directly addressing the origin of the 10 essentials in their book "Freedom of the Hills" . . .

"The Ten Essentials is a guide that should be tailored to the nature of the trip. Weather, remoteness from help, and complexity should be factored into the selected essentials."

Why do we have such a tendency to turn good advice and guidelines into absolute dogma? I think we should treat the ten essentials an a gift of wisdom, not a club of law. A birthday dinner is a beautiful thing, but if I am allergic to dairy, it's best I leave the icecream for others to eat, and if the portions are extra
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Maybe thats the clue, inexperienced hikers may benefit from the "10 essentials", experience then takes over so the essentials can be trimmed or changed for the hike. Since we are not born with this knowledge, the learning process has to start somewhere.
    You are very correct. That's why I would never tell anyone who asked if the ten essentials are needed, no they are not. I figure if they have to ask, they need to pack them.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Why do people still suggest old school fire starters? A bic lighter is cheap effective and reliable, just pop it in a ziplock or someother waterproof storage (say the plastic case that came with your PocketRocket perhaps, and your good to go. Tom accurately points out having the ability to start and maintain a fire in challenging conditions is esential for any of this to be useful.

It doesn’t even need fuel for the flint and steel part to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The overall list is not particularly bad but safety items should mirror the type of trip, who one is, what one is capable of, and should include experience if just a full demo with those safety items. For example, I see little use personally for a SAT ph or PLB on the AT between may - sept in otherwise "normalized" conditions. Yes, some folks consider the AT to have backcountry segments. I've seen others carry them, full FAKs, PLBs, compasses, maps, extra "safety" apparel, etc on front country and "backcountry?" high use highly maintained trails at high use times and they didnt know how to apply these items. These become similar to snake bite kits of the past.- wasted items to carry unless they meet someone else that knows how to apply these items....which IMO takes away from the notion of what backcountry is. Rarely to never do I see an absolute need for a heavy Leatherman multitool w/ screw drivers, bottle opener, corkscrew, multiple blades, nail file, etc.
    Good post. Nothing replaces some common sense and experience. Experience has taught me that I can survive just fine when I run out of food, fuel, or water, or forget to pack my shelter, headlamp, fire-making supplies, knife, whistle, maps, communication device, rain clothes, socks, hat...

If a hiker needs to plan for every contingency in order enjoy the outdoors, go for it. People just need to get outside and go for a walk, no matter how they do it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Fix test.

<b>Here</b>
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Fix test.

<b>Here</b>
    Not sure what this is about but what an old thread from 2015 and wow a wealth of information.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I always keep the following safety items while camping:

First Aid Kit: My kit consists of basic painkillers, ointments, bandage tapes etc.
    Survival Knife: It is not enough good for fishing and hunting but could also be a great tool for self-defence.
    Trash Bags: These are being used on regular basis but most of the campers neglect its importance.
    Security Items for Wild Campings: I always keep a sharp small knife, a gun, a flashlight and a good plate carrier whenever I go for hunting in wild areas with my husband.
    Pest Sprays and Repellents: Yes, these are also necessary.
    Other things: GPS devices, maps, water, food, water proof clothes and fire burning stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryaliceRitchlin View Post
    I always keep the following safety items while camping:

First Aid Kit: My kit consists of basic painkillers, ointments, bandage tapes etc.
    Survival Knife: It is not enough good for fishing and hunting but could also be a great tool for self-defence.
    Trash Bags: These are being used on regular basis but most of the campers neglect its importance.
    Security Items for Wild Campings: I always keep a sharp small knife, a gun, a flashlight and a good plate carrier whenever I go for hunting in wild areas with my husband.
    Pest Sprays and Repellents: Yes, these are also necessary.
    Other things: GPS devices, maps, water, food, water proof clothes and fire burning stuff.
    Where are you going that a plate carrier has value?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Flavortown.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    A way to keep warm, dry, hydrated, and get found.
    Bingo... maybe add the common sense not to work yourself into exhaustion. I find when people make the dumbest mistakes is when they are physically at their limits. Don't put yourself in that state and you remove a significant amount of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I think I'd find somebody else to go with. Husband? scratch... Dick Cheney?... scratch Greg Lemond's brother-in-law.... scratch

My bic lighter has worked after I have accidentally put it through the washer and dryer.

Holy cow! I think a lot has changed since AliciaG wrote this article in 2015. I would remark what my grandpa taught me at age six...it is always BETTER to have multiple devices for starting fire. I have two fire starters and one Bic lighter, but can make my own fire out of the forest resources, if needed. That first aid pack is not necessary during a thru-hike or hiking multiple days in the backcountry. It's too bulky. In wilderness first aid, you learn to improvise and use the things you already have. A lot of people don't think of about this but you can source rain water if you can't find any viable water source. I would definitely filter it first. ATStrong

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++