WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can it be done?

I'll see you on 3/2

Journal Entries

Due to my chosen field, work is cyclical, due to contracts, so layoffs are a pretty common thing. I think every time I've been laid off, I've done some traveling. Make sure yer all set financially (pay several months of cable bills, trash collection, car insurance, and so on) and then go for a walk. I'm 48, so my advice is "do it now"-don't wait for some here today, gone tomorrow boss or company to "allow" you to live your life. For me this is a 40 dream-jobs and bills will just have to wait. I start May 1.

I don't think I'd be able to get out there by 3/2. We have some additional family issues going on and won't have results until the middle of March. Earliest would be around the 15th or so.

Strongly considering it. I spoke to the possible next employer yesterday and they said they could delay the onboarding process until this winter sometime and would still be interested.

I'm going to check all my gear this weekend to make sure I won't need any expensive replacements, take a look at a realistic timeframe, and go from there. My goal would be to finish before my daughter's birthday on 9/20. Additionally, we may be moving to Maine, so that could make a cool family trip in the fall to meet at Katahdin.

Side note for the Texas comment - I'm in NC now and have spent the better part of the last 6-7 years in Alaska. I'm not worried about the cold, in fact, most of my gear was used in AK.

Images

What a perfect opportunity!

Are you in the oil industry, by any chance? (One of my sons is an MWD engineer. He's still employed, but there have been a lot of layoffs. He'll be on his way to the North Sea via Aberdeen in a couple of weeks.)

The terrain in Georgia is really forgiving, for people who have any hiking experience or fitness. Good luck on your hike!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I am. I'm a directional driller. I spent 5 weeks in Aberdeen in 2014. I think I'm leaning strongly towards committing and just doing it.

Journal Entries

The East is having a Winter for the History books ; beware of too early a start .Here in Western New York wind chill is -25 and the record was broken at -11.ur base snow is 4'; I can only imagine the Mountains now.Be careful
    Have a grand Hike

I rarely believe in signs from higher powers but this one is pretty is close. I think you should go for it but I'd like to suggest you wait until April. It really has been a brutal winter out east and I think you'll get more enjoyment if you waited a little longer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boo8meR View Post
    I am. I'm a directional driller. I spent 5 weeks in Aberdeen in 2014. I think I'm leaning strongly towards committing and just doing it.
    Nice!

Scotland is going to be a big change for my son. He's been in Papua New Guinea for the last couple of years, with occasional stints in Australia, the Philippines, and Kurdistan.

There's no time like the present. This has been dropped in your lap, as it were. One of the things about hiking the AT is it's a very flexible endeavor. (Don't spend too long reading WB threads in which people argue about the Rules, which only exist in the minds of the combatants.) You can take time off to help your family move, or whatever, and still have an excellent hike. Having them see you off in Georgia and then move to Maine before you finish would be fantastic! Best wishes!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Go for it!! I think if your wife is supportive then you have no better time than the present. You can still get in pretty decent trail shape before you start if you go for walks with your loaded pack every day. Then you can get better mileage in and prevent injuries. Good luck!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

go for it.

Go for it. Have a great hike.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Strike while the iron is hot and just DO IT...

Best of luck to you!

I cant say it any different than most folks on here... DO IT. I wouldn't sweat taking off a little later, I am planning on getting up there the week of April 20th.

Journal Entries

Head for the hills!

Gear + Time + Money + Determination = Katahdin

All you have to do is walk...and enjoy the view. Why are you even asking?!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    One of the things about hiking the AT is it's a very flexible endeavor. (Don't spend too long reading WB threads in which people argue about the Rules, which only exist in the minds of the combatants.)
    Post of the decade!

I am stepping off on April 11. Seems like a pretty popular time frame. Happy hiking to all and will see you out their.

Head 'em up, move 'em out!

Having a more serious talk with the wife about it today to try to lay out a timeframe, a budget, and a plan. If say we're at about 70/30 in favor of going, now. I do have one gear request - my current boots are made for alpine hunting. They're a pair of Lowa's and I love them, but they're really heavy and geared towards hunting (Lowa Extreme Hunter GTX). Can anyone make a suggestion for a good boot for the trail? I'm looking for something that's lighter and maybe not quite as tall. If I'm gonna do it, I want to go ahead and buy a pair and get them broken in over the next month.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++