WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can it be done?

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by Boo8meR View Post
    Having a more serious talk with the wife about it today to try to lay out a timeframe, a budget, and a plan. If say we're at about 70/30 in favor of going, now. I do have one gear request - my current boots are made for alpine hunting. They're a pair of Lowa's and I love them, but they're really heavy and geared towards hunting (Lowa Extreme Hunter GTX). Can anyone make a suggestion for a good boot for the trail? I'm looking for something that's lighter and maybe not quite as tall. If I'm gonna do it, I want to go ahead and buy a pair and get them broken in over the next month.

Thanks!
    Go over to Franklin, NC and see Rob at Outdoor 76.

get Rob to show you the Vasque Breeze, very little break in.

Might as well get unemployment for a while, sign up see what you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Go over to Franklin, NC and see Rob at Outdoor 76.

I'm about 4 1/2 hours from Franklin. Is there an option anywhere near the Uwharries?

Had another conversation last night with my wife and I think it may be a go. I ordered the guide yesterday and I'm trying to figure out some logistics. I'm still hung up on some gear issues. I love my boots but they were much better sidehilling on Kodiak than they have been on AT section hikes. Also, the never ending dilemma of "to hang or not to hang." I have a BA Fly Creek Platinum that I like; but, it seems to get a little wet inside and I really don't want to end up dealing with wet gear every night, plus I'm a side/back sleeper and like the idea of the comfort associated with a hammock set up. I've been checking out the other site, don't worry.

Anyways, I expressed to my wife how important it is that we make a decision sooner than later so I can make some last minute preparations and start training (which I'm honestly gonna do, regardless, so I don't waste the days I could be training if it takes a few more days to make the decision).

Trying to see if it makes sense to have her prepare trail meals here and ship them to me or if it's easier/cheaper to just resupply on the trail. Also might need to consider a new pack as my 7,000+ hunting pack may be a little overkill.

My favorite part about any endeavor like this is the planning phase but I always get burnt out because I get super excited planning and getting ready and then have to wait ages for the event to take place. If I go through with this, I'd probably be leaving around March 15th, so that shouldn't be an issue this time!

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I've gone from on the fence to fully committed and about to take the plunge. I've wanted to do it as long as I can remember, so I'm really hoping it works out and I've got boots on the ground within a few weeks.

Had another conversation last night with my wife and I think it may be a go. I ordered the guide yesterday and I'm trying to figure out some logistics. I'm still hung up on some gear issues. I love my boots but they were much better sidehilling on Kodiak than they have been on AT section hikes. Also, the never ending dilemma of "to hang or not to hang." I have a BA Fly Creek Platinum that I like; but, it seems to get a little wet inside and I really don't want to end up dealing with wet gear every night, plus I'm a side/back sleeper and like the idea of the comfort associated with a hammock set up. I've been checking out the other site, don't worry.

Anyways, I expressed to my wife how important it is that we make a decision sooner than later so I can make some last minute preparations and start training (which I'm honestly gonna do, regardless, so I don't waste the days I could be training if it takes a few more days to make the decision).

Trying to see if it makes sense to have her prepare trail meals here and ship them to me or if it's easier/cheaper to just resupply on the trail. Also might need to consider a new pack as my 7,000+ hunting pack may be a little overkill.

My favorite part about any endeavor like this is the planning phase but I always get burnt out because I get super excited planning and getting ready and then have to wait ages for the event to take place. If I go through with this, I'd probably be leaving around March 15th, so that shouldn't be an issue this time!

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I've gone from on the fence to fully committed and about to take the plunge. I've wanted to do it as long as I can remember, so I'm really hoping it works out and I've got boots on the ground within a few weeks.
    Don't get hung up on the minutia. If you start hiking in your hunting boots, and decide they don't work, Neels Gap is only 3 days away. The opportunity to do a thru hike may never come again. If it were me, I'd pounce on the opportunity, but I'd at least have a rough plan, and I'd opt to start later if I were not in trail-shape. Just my 2 cents. I hope to read about your Katahdin summit sometime this fall. Best of luck.

-GM

Images

I got laid off yesterday, considering a NOBO thru-hike leaving within a month. I have gear and wife's blessing. I've always wanted to do it and I honestly don't think I'll ever be in a better position to do it. Haven't really trained for it, necessarily, but I know what's involved and have been backpacking my entire life.

Words of wisdom and encouragement welcome!

If not now, when? Do it while you have the opportunity. You would be amazed at the amount of people I have run into that said "Wow, that's cool, I always wanted to do that". Don't be that person

I'm about 4 1/2 hours from Franklin. Is there an option anywhere near the Uwharries?
    I am 4 hours away as well, but the drive to me was absolutely worth it.

I am sure you can find an outfitter closer, but as someone else mentioned, if your current boots are usable, hike with them to Neel Gap (3 days) and determine there if you want to change. Mountain Crossings has a decent selection of shoes as well, with some very knowledgeable people.

I am sure you can find an outfitter closer, but as someone else mentioned, if your current boots are usable, hike with them to Neel Gap (3 days) and determine there if you want to change. Mountain Crossings has a decent selection of shoes as well, with some very knowledgeable people.

We did a short section hike from Springer to Woody Gap back in December and I know they aren't going to work. I think I'd rather just go ahead and get something else and start breaking them in between now and then...

Start with current broken boots....Franklin just lil over 100 miles up the trail....stop into outdoor 76 and grab a room at Havens motel just down the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.......Broke in boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did a short section hike from Springer to Woody Gap back in December and I know they aren't going to work. I think I'd rather just go ahead and get something else and start breaking them in between now and then...
    In that case, make a day trip out of it and head over to Franklin. You will not regret it. Just make sure to go on a weekday to see Rob as he does not work on Saturdays.

I'M DOING IT!!!

Just got done talking to the wife one more time. It's happening. Just planned out the next few years of our life, starting with my 2015 NOBO thru-hike!!!

Good for you. Make sure to say, hey when you blow past me.

Images

Your closest AT specialty shop is probably Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus.

A lot of hikers, probably most, wear running shoes. Your feet stay cooler and dryer, etc. In March, though, boots might be nice for warmth and traction.

Most people agree that resupplying along the Trail is cheaper than shipping yourself food.

Exciting times!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

We are given few opportunities in life to follow our dreams.
    I think you have to do this because you will likely never have another chance.

Good luck!

Jump on the web and give yourself a crash-course in gear and techniques. Get in a quick shakedown if you can. It's too late for much physical training, but you should do what you can.

I went south last year without backpacking experience, and 40 pounds overweight. Don't sweat it.

Above all, enjoy yourself and be safe.

Images

One thought on training, GA is a killer. You might use the time you have left on hitting the gum focusing on leg strength. Primarily squats, lunges, and bench steps. Go for it. You can make many adjustments at Neels Gap. Good Luck.

Ears deep in planning this. Can anyone provide any type of checklist or a link to such an animal? Not really looking for a pack list, more of a planning list.

Case in point - permits for GSMNP, Baxter State Park info, any type of no brainer stuff that could make/break a hunt if not considered while planning, etc.? I'm not overwhelmed, yet. Just running my mind at a million miles an hour all day long trying to get ready for this and don't want to mess up and forget something critical.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++