WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can it be done?

Default Can it be done?

I got laid off yesterday, considering a NOBO thru-hike leaving within a month. I have gear and wife's blessing. I've always wanted to do it and I honestly don't think I'll ever be in a better position to do it. Haven't really trained for it, necessarily, but I know what's involved and have been backpacking my entire life.

Words of wisdom and encouragement welcome!

yes. go! make sure you got proper clothing, sleeping bag and shelter. do it!

Journal Entries

I haven't left for my own NOBO yet, but I definitely think it's possible. You could also take more than a month to plan and leave a little later in April instead of within the month; this way you could avoid the bubble and possibly some cold temperatures as well.

Go for it! Just start off slow and don't push too hard the first couple of weeks.

I would also recommend waiting until April to start. Gives you more time, and avoids (hopefully) some of the worse weather. I am leaving April 7th.

Journal Entries

soumdoeler, I'm also starting on the 7th; it might be a busy day! A couple of us are planning to fly into Atlanta that morning and split a shuttle; let me know if you would be interested.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Yeah, go for it !

You don't need any planning, just turn up at Springer with your winter gear & 3 days of food and start walking North. Don't get too ambitious with your mileage & get in shape as you hike.

Good luck !

Images

I did it with zero previous training. It's really just walking. It does help to get the proper gear and know how to use it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

you're in a better position to have a successful thru than just about anyone else, i'd say

I was at Springer just a few weeks ago dreaming about the possibility. Now I'm staring it in the face. I have plenty of gear and would rather start sooner than later so I could try to finish up and be working again sooner. I've got the time and the money to do it and I'm pretty sure I can make it, my main concern is all of the planning and such. I'm glad that you guys are supportive, though. I'll probably be making the decision in the middle of next week.

gillian, thanks for the offer, but I have family taking me to Amicalola that morning.

Do it. Just take care of yourself, especially at first. It's a long haul, and you need to stay healthy!!!!!

I'm 40 now...got laid off several years back.. unfortunately before I got into long distance hiking...married with 2 kids..financially sound...i sat around goofing off almost 1 year before going back to work...I wish my timing was as yours is!!! Wife's blessing....what r u waiting for...a thru is just s long series of section hikes..my bag stays mostly packed..(except for down gear)...ready to go in few minutes...GO 4 it!!!! Sounds like a once in a lifetime chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boo8mer,

You're well positioned to get it together and do a thru-hike. If you want to do the hike, I say go for it.

You've got the gear and how often do you think that this sort of opportunity will come your way? Get your guides in hand and get ready to start walking!

The planning isn't that difficult. All you need to do is get a Companion or Thruhikers Guide read up on the first few weeks so you have a chance to figure out your early options. By the time you get to Damascus, you'll be well broken in and have it pretty much figured out.

When I did my second thruhike I did it on the spur of the moment. Not fired, but I quit my job unexpectedly and had just three weeks to pack up my apartment, put everything in storage and get gear. It wasn't that difficult, because in reality, the gear isn't as important as you'd think and there are gear stores along the trail that will help if you need to replace anything later. You have a couple of weeks to get into better shape, so I'd really recommend getting out and walking every day between now and D-day. It will make those first few weeks a lot easier, and make it more likely that you'll stay on the trail rather than give up because of the pain.

FLY! Fly like the wind!

Since you are from Texas start later to reduce the cold weather issues. Spend some time reading the articles on this site, lots of good advice. Don't stress about making it to Katahdin, get your gear right, test it on a couple of short trips before you head to Springer.

If you got the gear, time and money, then all you need is the guide book. The rest is easy. I would wait until April. March is going to be really rough this year. Spend the next 4-5 weeks doing as much walking as possible. You'll have a much better chance of surviving more then a few weeks that way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fadedsun View Post
    FLY! Fly like the wind!
    +1 ..... Most can only dream!!
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

Images

You gotta do it! Are you kidding?! Dress warm and get up there. The trail will teach you what you need to know, if you pay attention.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Go. This is clearly your time. Get there and start walking. Everything works itself out from there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++