WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Hiking partner for Georgia Section of the AT

35 year old history teacher. Eagle Scout in 1996. Plenty of experience ingrained in me at an early age.
    Spent an entire week in Wilderness survival training SUMMER 1995.
    Living in Atlanta, GA.
    Looking to section hike the AT. A section every June beginning this June
    Starting out by hiking the GA section Springer to NC. Next June TN-NC to VA. The Next June thru VA to MD etc.
    Would like a hiking partner for a 7-10 day trip to the N.C. border. Would be leaving first week in June.

Plenty experienced with 7 years in the Scouts with a highly active Boy Scout troop.
    You wont have to worry about you or your stuff being put in danger by a Newbie.
    Instructed First Aid classes in the Boy Scouts.
    Last edited by Eagle1979; 02-20-2015 at 23:56.

Hi Eagle1979!
    Just saw your post and thought I'd respond since I am planning a section hike starting at Springer in early June.
    I'm considerably older than you at 60, but am in good shape and do a lot of hiking in the North Cascades and the PNW.
    My experience is all with day hikes however, and while some are pretty long, I don't have any recent backpacking experience.
    This year I want to start by hiking a section of the AT, but long term I too would like to do a section a year and see how much of the AT I can get done.
    If you're still looking for a hiking partner, shoot me an email and we can discuss it further!

I was planning on the last week of May but could move it a week without issues.
    Shoot me a PM.

Pyro!!!!! Its me,sweet potato!!!!

I'm older also, just finished the access from the Falls to Springer...came out with the bad weather...and want to finish Springer to NC. Was going in May, but want to hike with someone, so will wait and join up with you all if that is ok with you. I live in Blue Ridge, Ga so hike trails around here. Let me know.

Hi Eagle1979. Are you still planning on hiking the first section in early June? I've been planning on doing the section by myself but thought I'd check in on the forums. Your distance and timing is exactly what I was planning on. I also want to make this an annual event. I grew up in Australia and was also very active in multi day hiking in my scouting years. Ran a couple of marathons as well and still enjoy wilderness camping. I have 2 weeks off beginning the 7th of June. I live in Florida but spend a lot of time in Nth Georgia/ Nth Carolina in the summer.

I am still interested in hiking this same section of the AT and can meet you at Springer. Family doesn't want me to go alone. Can I join up to hike with you?

Sharijo, I will be arriving at Springer on June 29th and hiking for about a week if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by adamrwiegand View Post
    Sharijo, I will be arriving at Springer on June 29th and hiking for about a week if you are interested.
    I've just decided recently that I plan to do this very thing either the last week of October or first week of November if anyone is interested. I was planning the 86.3 miles from Springer to Deep Gap (including the 0.9 hike to Springer off FS42).

++ New Posts ++