WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tarp + tent?

Wear a poncho when it rains.. Lay out your tarp tent throw your bag inside on the bathtub floor and just set the tent up.. Not much is going to get wet..

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you're going to thru hike on the AT one thing you're going to have to get comfortable with is having periods when every piece of gear you have is wet. It's uncomfortable but you probably won't die.

How do you know it's going to rain when you're hiking the AT?

All your gear is finally dry.

Journal Entries

If you require visa to be in US, you may find hiking the AT consumes the vast majority of it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-21-2015 at 22:33.

How do you mean? I'm thinking the trail itself will take 5-6 months. If I have a 12 month visa that leaves plenty.

Bluebird

I am finding that I keep coming back to a book that is a very useful planning tool for my 2016 hike. It's "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips," by Mike Clelland. While I have experience backpacking, Mike's approach has changed my planning. The subtitle is "153 tips..., etc.," and these are all very useful in the sense that they challenge one to re-think what this through-hike enterprise is all about. Also, I find his approach to life and specifically life on the trail to be the best parts of the book. I write, "the bests parts of the book," because his approach is in digressions and backgrounders in various places, not all in one chapter.

Bluebird

And a most warm welcome to the United States! We have gotten over any hard feelings about King George III and parliament, and all is good.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    How do you mean? I'm thinking the trail itself will take 5-6 months. If I have a 12 month visa that leaves plenty.
    Most get a 6 month visa. Its not that hard to show financial means of support for that period while on a trail.

12 months may be a bit harder, but not if your very well off.

Images

If you are going to do this, you may want to look at lighter tarps. For example:

Warbonnet Edge (11.25oz): http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/edge/
    MacCat standard (10oz): http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Most get a 6 month visa. Its not that hard to show financial means of support for that period while on a trail.

12 months may be a bit harder, but not if your very well off.
    I wouldn't consider myself well off at all but I've been saving for this for the best part of 2 years (I've worked at least a year longer than I would have wanted to in a crappy sales job because I've been raking in the commission). Owning a flat (or 'apartment', to you guys), I've needed to save enough to pay the mortgage while I'm away, as well as council tax and building management. I'll have somewhere in the region of £15,000 USD in my bank so hopefully that will be enough to permit 12 months?

And thanks for all the help, guys. From what I've heard Americans are some of the nicest people going, so I'm sure it will be a treat.

I have a 10 day trip to the Scottish Highlands planned for later in the year, so my main aim is to have my proposed gear ready to try then.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCollins View Post
    And a most warm welcome to the United States! We have gotten over any hard feelings about King George III and parliament, and all is good.
    Speak for yourself! That said, you are welcome.

The video made by a young man in the forum is excellent for gear.
    http://youtu.be/F1fgTmrCQ-Q
    Last edited by Connie; 02-22-2015 at 14:12.

Images

Another issue I see with having a tarptent and a tarp is setup. Most tarptents require 2 hiking poles and the tarp requires 2 hiking poles, unless you purchase separate tentpoles for one.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Quote Originally Posted by 3_dogs View Post
    Another issue I see with having a tarptent and a tarp is setup. Most tarptents require 2 hiking poles and the tarp requires 2 hiking poles, unless you purchase separate tentpoles for one.
    I almost always use trees for my tarp. It's on the AT! Trees abound.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

i would drop the idea of using a tarp over a tent and deal with drying out the tent mostly with a bandana for condensation and shaking it out after a storm etc. i like the mobile tarp on a stick ( umbrella) it's less confining then the tent on a rainy day no mad dashes to the privy easy to cook under can attach to your shoulder strap to hike hands free with it's a bit of a luxury but adds so much comfort and can be found 6-8 oz range relatively cheap. leaves more room for food in your pack

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    The weight won't be an issue, my real conundrum is whether the setup will actually offer any benefit.

I'm in my 20s and run marathons, cycle every day, hike often, etc. So long as my packweight doesn't exceed 35lbs I can't see it being a factor.

What I wouldn't want would be a wet tent, wet groundsheet and wet tarp to have to try and dry.

I sometimes use a 10x10' silnylon tarp with a one person tent. I leave the rain fly at home and just pitch the tarp over the tent. With this particular set up there was no additional weight, but i gained tons of flexibility. I like a tent for a home and love the roomy bug free environment. I do what you mentioned, set the tarp up first, and then the tent underneath, plus I have room to cook and hang out without getting wet. Only down side is it can be difficult in a stealth situation with lots of under brush and a tight tree pack, but i've always made it work.

Bobby---Another downside with your setup is a rainstorm at elevation with horizontal pelting rain---I call it Ripping the Velcro. The sound, that is. It comes in hard sideways---ergo guylines and tent fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++