WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default powdered eggs....

Do powdered eggs make tasty scrambled eggs On the trail? Looking for info before buying some in bulk......

Journal Entries

My experience with powdered egg, while in the Navy, was not good!
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

Specifically look for Ovaeasy brand egg crystals. They are hands down the best "powdered" eggs, or better yet freeze dried egg crystals. Just add water and use like regular egg.

Most powdered eggs are dried with heat or cooked than dried. Resulting in a less than appetizing reconstituted egg. Ovaeasy are simply crystallized without heat resulting in a better egg product.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 02-23-2015 at 15:05.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I think powdered eggs are meant for a recipe in baked goods requiring eggs.

Thanks I'll look into that!

Just found this too if anyone else is wondering: http://www.cookingwithmyfoodstorage....-from.html?m=1

They are not the same as the eggs mom cooked in bacon grease when I was young but powdered eggs are palatable. I bought a small #2.5 can at usaemergencysupply.com. This was the first company I came across on the internet that tweaked my interest so I bought from them. My wife ate the eggs when made as scrambled and she would eat them again when camping. I also used the powdered eggs and some powdered butter in dessert recipes and they worked great. I used a small pouch of brownie mix with powdered eggs and butter and cooked on a hobo stove I was making. I made a small disk with holes to substitute as an oven floor and inserted into hobo stove about in the middle. I suspended a small stainless cup with a lid about the disk and it worked fine. Does take a little longer that I would like but it works. My wife came out and the smell was so good we pulled the pan off the stove before they were completely done. Came out like a lava cake brownie and they were delicious.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Specifically look for Ovaeasy brand egg crystals. They are hands down the best "powdered" eggs, or better yet freeze dried egg crystals. Just add water and use like regular egg.

Most powdered eggs are dried with heat or cooked than dried. Resulting in a less than appetizing reconstituted egg. Ovaeasy are simply crystallized without heat resulting in a better egg product.
    +1 on Ovaeasy egg crystals

You should also check out packitgourmet.com They have amazing backpacking foods and supplies

+1
    Ovaeasy crystals (if reconsituted with water according to directions) make very tasty scrambled eggs and can used in any recipes that call for eggs (like Jiffy Cornbread). Nothing other than fresh eggs comes close IMO. It's all I use (unless carrying fresh, which I occasionally do).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Ate too many powdered eggs in the Army. Now I want to see the yolks. Only eat scrambled eggs that I make.

I did not have a good experience with these. Tried them once and the've been in my gear bin ever since.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Ate too many powdered eggs in the Army. Now I want to see the yolks. Only eat scrambled eggs that I make.
    +1, Chief.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Does anyone know the protein value of these?

Images

Since they're just eggs, about the same as fresh. I couldn't find a breakdown with a brief search. I'd guess a bit less due to processing?

Images

Hikes in Rain is correct.

The nutritional content for Ovaeasy for some reason is not readily available on the producer's website. It is easier to find on a retailer's website -- https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i...eggs_label.htm

And just to compare with a fresh medium egg -- http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...tionid%3D29442

The difference in protien comes to 5.5g for a fresh egg and 5g for Ovaeasy.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Looks like the Army may agree with you. According to a review I read, the Army and Navy have both gone to using Ovaeasy eggs. So does that make you want to re-up?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

i never had any good experiences with powdered eggs i buy the regular eggs in a plastic container never had one break or go bad i use them to make zip-lock omeletes very good.

also you can get Oaklands Best whole eggs in a carton already srambled all you have to do is pour them in a pan.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Does anyone know the protein value of these?
    https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i..._egg_label.htm100% whole egg solids
    Serving size: 1 tbsp. (13 grams) (equals 1 egg)
    Servings per container: 108
    Net wt.: 48 oz. Case wt. 18 lb.

Calories 75
    Calories from fat 45
    Fat 5g
    Saturated fat 2g
    8%
    7%
    Protein 6g 18%
    Total Carbohydrates 0g
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Sugars 0g
    0%
    0%
    Cholesterol 213mg 71%
    Sodium 63mg 3%
    Potassium 0%
    Vitamin A 10%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Thiamine 3%
    Riboflavin 18%
    Niacin 0%
    Calcium 6%
    Iron 6%

This information is from the product label on a usaemergencysupply.com can of powdered eggs.
    The website has other types of powdered egg products along with many other dehydrated products.
    I would think other brands have the same information for their products. I am only familiar with this company at the moment.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++