WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Enlightened Eqipment - Prodigy Quilt

Hey all.

Looking to buy my first quilt/ spring, summer, fall bag. Currently own a Marmot Trestles 30 (3 lbs 11 oz) and used it for all 4 seasons. Obviously, it was quite hot in summer and fall. It worked well for winter camping. I took it down to high teens without a problem.

I am thinking about buying http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/ 40 degree $160 quilt which weighs about 1 lb 5 oz. I am about maxed out with price range at $180. Are there any other options I should consider? Anyone use this specific quilt or a quilt from enlightened equipment? How do you like it?

How did you handle the transition from first sleeping bag to first quilt?

Thanks all!

Images

I don't have the EE Prodigy but I have the 40* EE Revelation Elite. I've always used a 30* sleeping bag as if were a quilt in warmer weather. For me, there was no real difference and transition. However, I did get the "slim" version of the quilt and I do find the elastic straps that secure the sides of the quilt to my sleeping pad useful to stop the drafts in cooler temps.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I have a prodigy and like it a lot. I'm getting a revelation. If you keep on the watch you can score one from EE cheaper. the prodigy that is. You may talk to justbill on here. He has some that he makes that are super light and look pretty nice. He may make you one.

I went from a Sierra Designs 15F (convertible to 0F) to a JRB quilt. The quilt is every bit as warm - and more versatile - than my bag. I have a tapered quilt, and use DIY elastic straps and small pack hooks to secure it to my pad at night. BTW, the quilt is 19 oz.

I have a 30 degree Prodigy quit I have used a few times now. It's a great product as far as I am concerned. EE's customer service was great, they changed a couple things about my order on the fly, no problem. I really like the quilt vs. a sleeping bag as it seems more versatile and easier to vent when you get warm. I have slept with it as low as 40 degrees very comfortably. I don't like the elastic straps and am considering removing them. I pull the sides around me and haven't had a problem with drafts. The straps seem too restrictive to me. I got the wide version since I'm a side sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    I went from a Sierra Designs 15F (convertible to 0F) to a JRB quilt. The quilt is every bit as warm - and more versatile - than my bag. I have a tapered quilt, and use DIY elastic straps and small pack hooks to secure it to my pad at night. BTW, the quilt is 19 oz.
    Brancher, I think the wide wide/long is 21-22. I am a side sleeper. I think I rather it to "too" big than not big enough. I am exactly 6' tall. Not sure if I need a long or not, but I plan to get the wide. Either way, it is only two ounces.

Thanks for the advice all. I will pull the trigger on this this weekend.

I recently purchased a 40 degree Revelation Pro quilt from them for a section hike this summer. Being that I haven't officially used it yet I can't tell you how it preformed however, I can tell you that the quality of the quilt along with the customer service I received was amazing. I went with a quilt because I was afraid I would get to twisted up in a mummy bag. I plan to do an update on it after using it.

Garlic
    Images

I'm also a fairly recent quilt user and I'm very happy with the switch. I got a EE RevX 30 for three season use. It's my favorite new gear purchase in years. In addition to what others above have said, I noticed it stays a lot cleaner than a bag. I used mine on a two-month spring/summer trip and never had to launder it. A few minutes of sunshine once in a while and it stays fresh. I didn't get any options, the base model is plenty versatile. It's even long enough (I'm 5-9) to pull over and use as a hood, so I didn't need the recommended down hat or balaclava. I had a couple nights of heavy wet spring snow in the North Cascades on my trip.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I bought one last year. I had to look back at my receipt to see what I bought

Prodigy 40°
    Length: 6',
    Width: WIDE,
    Inside Color: Charcoal 10D NB 1,
    Outside Color: Black 10D NB 2

I like it. BTW I see you live in Gwinett GA, my Grandmother used to live in Duluth GA.

Love mine....Regular/Wide 30 deg. which I took on my Wonderland Trail hike. It is light, packable, warm and has a tremendous comfort range. No regrets...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    Love mine....Regular/Wide 30 deg. which I took on my Wonderland Trail hike. It is light, packable, warm and has a tremendous comfort range. No regrets...
    How tall are you? I am looking at whether to get the regular or long. I am 6 foot. What do you think? For an ounce-ish, I don't see why not get the long. Always better to have too much then not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    How tall are you? I am looking at whether to get the regular or long. I am 6 foot. What do you think? For an ounce-ish, I don't see why not get the long. Always better to have too much then not enough.
    With quilts, it is generally preferable to go slightly longer. I am 5'9" and the regular EE quilt length fits me perfect. I can't imagine anyone taller being comfortable in it as when it gets coldest, you have a tendency to pull the quilt higher which then compresses the footbox more and causes cold feet.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I agree....go for the long. I'm short...about 5'7" and I considered getting the long. No regrets going wide and I'm done with shopping for gear based upon weight alone. I tried two other quilts which I sold online because they were just too small. I've been a goose down fanatic for going on 25 years. Never thought I'd buy another synthetic bag. This one has so far won me over and I'm not price sensitive. My last two bags were $400+ green ones. What I've done now is pair this synthetic bag with a down puffy with hood (about 9 ounces) and down footies (< 2 ounces). I can layer up or down with my clothing and maintain comfort across a wide range of temps. I don't stress about my quilt touching wet surfaces either. I've gotten the foot section pretty wet with condensation and didn't even notice it until I was packing up in the morning. It made little difference in comfort and dried quickly because it just doesn't hold that much moisture.

Oh... the other reason it dries quick is because you can open it up fully and vent it in the sun. Get a dark color which collects solar radiation and it helps even further.

++ New Posts ++