WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bailey Lodging

Default Bailey Lodging

Does anyone know where to stay in Bailey? Having a hard time finding information. Ct thru start 6/23/15

Garlic
    Images

I assume you're getting off trail at Kenosha Pass. I'm not positive, but the easiest lodging from there might be in Fairplay. Or better yet, continue hiking over Georgia Pass to Breckenridge. I don't think there's any convenient lodging east of Kenosha Pass until you get well into the Denver metro area. There are some vacation rentals along the river, but I don't recall names and they're probably not hiker-friendly--I mean friendly folks, I'm sure, but no other services like groceries, laundry, etc.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I met some hikers who were going into a town I believe at the end of section 2 on the paved road near where the firehouse is located (where hikers can get water). I never saw them again so I'm not sure how the town stop went for them. Yogi's guide has some information on Bailey. So does Mags end to end guide: http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

I didn't resupply prior to Breckenridge but if I wanted to I could have probably hitched to Fairplay easily at Kenosha Pass. There's a lot of traffic and a wide area where cars and trucks can stop. That's where I would choose to resupply if I wanted to prior to Breckenridge.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

A few hikers resupply at Bailey, at the end of Segment 3 about 40 trail miles west of the Waterton trailhead. The trail crosses unpaved CR 68 which leads to Bailey. No lodging that I am aware of. There is a Post Office, small store, a few restaurants.

If you can hold off for 31 more miles, it is much easier to resupply at Jefferson, which is on Hwy 285 a few miles south of Kenosha Pass. The services are about the same as Bailey, but it is an easy hitch from the pass. You won't find decent lodging and services until Breckenridge, another 45 miles along the trail. On my last thru I hiked the Denver to Breckenridge part without any resupply, and it the pack seemed kind of heavy the first two days, but it worked out fine. You have to carry enough for 117 miles if you choose to do that. There is plenty of water once you are past Segment 3, so you don't need to carry much and that helps.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The re-opened grocery store has some very low key above-the-store-lodging now from what I understand. When I was there last summer, looks like they had a small selection of food and even some supplies (isobutane canisters) geared towards CT backpackers.

Personally, I'd wait to resupply unless you want to check out a small Colorado mountain town or just need some time off if your start was a bit rougher than expected. (of if you are doing a moderate pace in terms of MPD)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks so much to everyone for the information. My wife is going to start with me and jump off in Breckenridge. I just want to take it light and easy till then.

I may have missed my window for suggestions. I had to get off in Bailey when I thru-hiked due to a ridiculously scary system coming in. It is difficult to get off there, but I was magically able to get a ride in to Bailey.

The following link is for a place to stay in Bailey that is "hiker friendly." It's a cool, historic building. Quite a unique place. Anyway, they don't advertise much, because the folks that own it are "old school." They wrote me a receipt, for instance, on a triplicate carbon copy pad. Take cash.

Here is the link to their Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glen-...67153353356316

They drove me back to the trail in the morning after the system had passed. For free.

Like anyone else, I wouldn't recommend getting off the trail in Bailey unless it is an emergency. However, if you need to, this place is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    A few hikers resupply at Bailey, at the end of Segment 3 about 40 trail miles west of the Waterton trailhead. The trail crosses unpaved CR 68 which leads to Bailey. No lodging that I am aware of. There is a Post Office, small store, a few restaurants.

If you can hold off for 31 more miles, it is much easier to resupply at Jefferson, which is on Hwy 285 a few miles south of Kenosha Pass. The services are about the same as Bailey, but it is an easy hitch from the pass. You won't find decent lodging and services until Breckenridge, another 45 miles along the trail. On my last thru I hiked the Denver to Breckenridge part without any resupply, and it the pack seemed kind of heavy the first two days, but it worked out fine. You have to carry enough for 117 miles if you choose to do that. There is plenty of water once you are past Segment 3, so you don't need to carry much and that helps.
    I think that 117 miles takes you to Copper Mtn. It is only 104.? miles from Denver to Breckenridge. But your point is just as valid. It is just as easy to do that long haul as to try and re-supply earlier.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

++ New Posts ++