WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Official new reroute to BMT

From the BMTA

Reroute News
    or
    "Mabel, them North Carolina folks are at it agin!"
    By Dick Evans

The route for any trail is a much more complex thing to determine than most folks would guess. While it is easy to draw a line on a map and say, "Let's put a Trail here," the reality is much different. Land ownership and usage issues, access, topography and other factors combine to make seemingly simple issues quite complex, involving at times many different "stakeholder" groups, with different goals and guidelines.

This was certainly the situation when the Benton MacKaye Trail was first being laid out. While the route within Georgia to the Ocoee River was fairly straight forward, beyond there was fraught with issues. Planners knew they wanted to get to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there were very few ways this could be done. In addition, the GSMNP Policy of no new trail miles, in place since 1985, added difficulties to this process. While GSMNP folks were very helpful in the process, it became obvious in late 2013 that either we had to accept the 3.5 mile road walk from Deals Gap to Twentymile Ranger Station for many years, or find another route. In December, 1014 and January 2015, Ernie Engman and I scouted the old Yellow Creek Mountain Trail on the south side of the Little Tennessee River drainage on land owned by the Forest Service, and found that, although unmaintained for years, it could be cleared and provide a great path to the Park. In addition, the Forest Service had kept the route on their active trail list, so no detailed environmental assessment was needed. As readers know, the Yellow Creek Reroute was approved and cleared within an astounding 7 months last year, providing hikers a safe and beautiful route between the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness and the National Park.

Likewise, the route chosen through the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness was first requested to go over Stratton Bald, Haoe, past the Hangover, one of the premier viewpoints in the southern Appalachians, and down to Big Fat Gap and hence out at Slickrock Creek Trailhead. However, the final route was to follow Fodderstack Ridge north from the Cherohala to Farr Gap, then down to cross Slickrock Creek and out. While normally this crossing does not present a problem, there are times when the water rises and becomes too high to cross safely. Avoiding this crossing involves a lengthy detour and has presented the Graham County Search and Rescue Team with a number of cases of hikers stranded on the Tennessee Side of the Creek. Even Rick Harris, longtime Tennessee/North Carolina Maintenance Director for the BMTA, expressed his concern for hiker safety due to this route, although deep in designated Wilderness as it is, there were no options to make this crossing safer. Our Section Hiking Guide and Ernie Engman's Thru Hikers Guide included bypass directions in an attempt to provide a safe alternative to this in cases of high water.

Many of you know that the Nantahala National Forest is involved in the process of reviewing and altering the forest management plan for their territory, and part of this process to to examine existing trails and determine if they need alterations. During one of the "breakout" sessions of these meeting, USFS Officials from the Cheaoh Ranger District expressed their concern about that crossing after the Graham County Search and Rescue folks pointed out the number of "rescues" they have made at that area. BMTA Past President Dick Evans, present at that meeting, was asked about rerouting that section of trail. Being nothing if not an opportunist, Dick pointed out that the original route bypassed this crossing and indeed was a much more scenic route following the eastern crest of the wilderness, and opined that such a reroute would in great likelihood be warmly received by the BMTA. It was decided at the meeting that Dick would present this issue to the BMTA, and the Cheaoh District would approach the Tellico Plains Ranger District with this proposal.

One concern by the BMTA was that we had a great relationship with the Tellico Plains District (as we do with all the Forest Service Districts thru which the Trail passes) and we did not want to jeopardize that by a reroute, but that the proposed routing was indeed a far better one than the current one. It did turn out that the Tellico Plains District had a similar concern with this crossing, and heartily endorsed the proposal as making a great safety improvement for hikers in the area. Quick approval by the BMTA followed, and confirmation was given to the Cheoah District about this new route. During this process, almost at the optimum time, the Tapoco Lodge, a great Bed and Breakfast bordering the Slickrock Wilderness, changed hands and the new ownership was very interested in hikers and active vacationers, and wanted to reopen the old trail from Yellowhammer Gap, on the edge of the Wilderness, down thru their property. This nicely added to the new BMT reroute, by allowing the Trail to pass right past a great "stop-off" point for hikers, and shortened the road walk on Route 129 to less than one hundred yards. Quick coordination between the BMTA and the Tapoco Lodge, greatly assisted by the Cheaoh Ranger District, resulted in a volunteer trip to clear that route from the Yellowhammer Gap to the Lodge.

The end result is that, effective February 27th, 2015, the Benton MacKaye Trail now follows the eastern crest of the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness, then down to the Tapoco Lodge, then out their gate and a short road walk, regaining the trail at the James Burchfield Trailhead on Meadowbranch Road, the starting point of the Yellow Creek Reroute. New signs are in the process of being ordered to properly mark this new route, and the new Tennessee/North Carolina Section Guide, as well as the new edition of the Thru Hikers Guide, will reflect the route described. While this new route will provide additional "opportunities" for wilderness maintenance, the scenic beauty of this new route, access to the Tapoco Lodge and shortening of the road walk, combine to make this a great hike. Come try it!
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

So a question after quick read - does this mean the Slickrock Creek ford is no more?

I've always thought you had to be a "real" hiker to hike the BMT. Even after 500 miles in less than 6 months exclusively on weekends, I feel like the BMT is still too much to handle.

Difficult to navigate sections, route changes, long stretches without a blaze, the necessity of a map (i have never hiked with one) and the ability/knowledge to read it.

All of this makes the BMT a little intimidating to me.

Thanks for the information and the great guide!

For the GA portion at least (which I hear is very well marked), I plan to use nothing but your guide.

Images

On the official trail there is no more ford of Slickrock Creek. However for those that still want to cross there the BMTA considers that an approved alternate route. A brief description of the new route:

165.8 At Cold Spring Gap take trail #54A to Bob Bald.
    168.3 At Stratton Bald join trail #53 to Haoe Bald. Pass through Naked Ground.
    169.9 At Haoe Bald join trail #156 and hike past the side trail to the Hangover and the overlook.
    172.9 At Big Fat Gap join trail #400 and hike through Windy Gap.
    174.4 Join trail #44 and hike to Nichols Cove and the cemetery.
    175.3 At the cemetery join #149 and hike to Yellowhammer Gap.
    177.2 At Yellowhammer Gap take the newly re-opened trail down Yellowhammer Branch to Tapoco Lodge.
    179.1 At US 129 cross the road and start the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail.

This "new" trail takes you up over Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Naked Ground, past the Hangover and the Overlook down to Big Fat Gap. From there it goes out Windy Gap Trail through Windy Gap and then down to Nichols Cove where it goes along Yellowhammer Gap trail to Yellowhammer Gap. At the gap an old FS road has been reopened as trail to the newly re-opend and hiker friendly Tapoco Lodge.

I've attached the errata pages which has a map that shows the two trails in relationship to each other.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

the release doesnt specify the exact reroute but, yeah, looks to me as the trail doesnt cross slickrock creek.......

a few weeks ago there was a thread where rock threw out the ideas of the reroute to get down to the lodge and i think it went down hangover lead south and down to yellowhammer gap and down to the lodge from there.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I've always thought you had to be a "real" hiker to hike the BMT. Even after 500 miles in less than 6 months exclusively on weekends, I feel like the BMT is still too much to handle.

Difficult to navigate sections, route changes, long stretches without a blaze, the necessity of a map (i have never hiked with one) and the ability/knowledge to read it.

For the GA portion at least (which I hear is very well marked), I plan to use nothing but your guide.
    I know the BMT isn't for everyone, but we are trying to make it easier. There are some things we just cannot change like blazing in wilderness areas that won't let us.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

(posts got crossed)...

At the gap an old FS road has been reopened as trail to the newly re-opend and hiker friendly Tapoco Lodge.

has this section been cleared yet?

Images

It has been cleared and should soon be blazed as well since it is outside the wilderness area. Currently there is about 0.5 miles that need to be side-hilled in so take that part slow to avoid rolling an ankle.

The signs for the new section are being ordered so we can start putting them up. Either the new route or the old route can be taken, it is the hiker's choice.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post

I for one would not enter an unfamiliar area without a guide/map. If available. Even carry a set of Ranger beads for bushwhack.

Images

and either choice is a great choice.........thats some prime hiking.....

so does that mean that chunk of the bmt coming outta cold spring gap over to cherry log gap become a differented named trail now?

Images

Locally that is still the Fodderstack Trail.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Should we take up a collection to get you out there with your GPS to make some GPX tracks for the new trail?

Images

i thought fodderstack went uphill towards the bald before taking the left at the intersection..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    I for one would not enter an unfamiliar area without a guide/map. If available. Even carry a set of Ranger beads for bushwhack.
    Me too. But I also love maps and can spend hours looking at them. Guthook makes a smartphone app for trails and I am currently in the process of trying to get the BMTA on-board with sponsoring the creation of that app for the BMT. http://www.guthookhikes.com/2013/03/...ian-trail.html

With this sort of thing one could use their phone as a map when the trail is in doubt. I think for some hikers that won't carry maps it could help them out. I've downloaded the app for the AT section I plan to hike this summer as a field test. Personally I don't think this app really replaces maps, but it is a good navigation tool for people that don't want to buy a GPS or go through the learning curve of uploading files to a GPS. Phone batteries won't support using it like a dedicated GPS, but if one were to get at a hard to navigate point, turning on your phone for a few minutes and using the app to sort out your problem could work.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

So, is the Yellowhammer Gap trail down to Tapoco Lodge called the Yellowhammer Trail? I wondered as there's a sign in the gap reading "Belding Trail".

It's a great reroute as the Bob is nice and "Four Mile Ridge" is nice between the Bob and the Hangover and Hangover Lead South is rugged and Windy Gap #400 is one of my faves (even has a spring head not far from Big Fat Gap right off the trail to the right) and Windy Gap itself is a good place to rest and Nichols Cove down to the gravesite is good. Yellowhammer Trail always seems to need work but it's pretty and ZAP you're in Yellowhammer Gap.

The only problem I see with the Gap re-route to Tapoco Lodge is having permission denied from the lodge owners if they ever change their minds. It's possible. But then it's a simple alternate to Ike Branch down to the Lake etc etc.

With this reroute backpackers won't get to camp at "Barrel Gap" off 149 north of Cold Spring Gap or Snow Camp by Cherry Log Gap or Crowder Camp or get to see the pretty Stiffknee Trail.

I for the life of me can't understand why people coming down to Slickrock Creek would ever call the rescue squad in high water when all they have to do is wait 3 or 4 days for the creek to go down. Are we in such a hurry to panic in the first hour and in such a rush to cross? Just mellow out and wait for the water to lower. It's called a wilderness for a reason.

But no, this reroute will get the BMTA boys in (along with the Crosscut Mountain Boys and possibly SAWS) to keep these favored trails open, esp Hangover Lead South and Yellowhammer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Should we take up a collection to get you out there with your GPS to make some GPX tracks for the new trail?
    I've already done all that. The GPS track and waypoint file should be available for download in the very near future.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i thought fodderstack went uphill towards the bald before taking the left at the intersection..........
    Depends on what map you look at. The old Fodderstack trail does exactly that. About 2005 they re-designated some trails in the area and the Fodderstack follows the old BMT route (almost said current BMT route). the old sections of Fodderstack that went up to Bob Bald were re designated #54A.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I know the BMT isn't for everyone, but we are trying to make it easier. There are some things we just cannot change like blazing in wilderness areas that won't let us.
    Please, for the love of god, do not take what I said above as a criticism of the trail. I didn't mean it like that at all! I did a 20 mile section NOBO and SOBO over Christmas break from Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76 and back. I was alone and I loved how alone I felt. That being said, if I was lost and and I was that alone, I would not have enjoyed it as much to say the least. I simply don't have the skills to get "unlost" should the worst happen.

I understand that there are regulations on certain parts of the trail which prevent blazing. I get it. I just got accustomed of seeing my good friend, the blaze every so often. I couldn't imagine going miles hoping I was on the trail without seeing a blaze for long stretches. That would leave me very uneasy.

In my experience with hiking so far (250 miles of the AT, 50ish miles on the Bartram Trail, 90ish miles on foothills trail and side trails, 50 ish miles on BMT in Ga, and several others), I never felt like I could get lost. (i.e., the trail was so well maintained and easy to follow that even someone like me couldn't get lost). I never felt the need to bring a map. It was "idiot proof."

However, when I hear experienced hikers like yourself talk about difficult sections to navigate on the BMT, I think it may be a little more than I could chew. But then again, I thought the same about the AT 6 months ago. Now, I am fairly certain I could hike the AT blind folded.

I hope the same for the BMT. That is sounds intimidating at first and it is intimidating until you get the feel for it.

I am confident in my ability to get to Thunder Rock Campground. After that, I will be far more careful on my planning and scouting the area before the hike. No spur of the moment, no preparation, throw everything in the pack and go hike like I do often on the AT.

I have a great respect for the BMT. I anticipate I will finish section hiking the BMT NOBO and SOBO long before I section hike the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Naw, no need for GPS or tracks or fancy numbers. Just take a map and follow the trails and the natural blazes and the trailsigns. GPS tracking and waypoints ad nauseam are for the anally retentive and outdoor-challenged

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    About 8 years ago they changed the numbers in Cold Spring Gap. The old Fodderstack Trail #95 used to leave Cold Sp Gap and go up towards the Bob and back down to Cherry Log Gap. This has been renumbered 54A. Trail 149 out of Cold Sp Gap is now numbered 95 Fodderstack and used to be numbered 2 as the BMT. Still is I guess. This will throw more confusion into the mix for BMT hikers unless maintainers come out tomorrow and change the trailpost signs. Anyway, the old trailpost numbers changed but the maps did not.

Now the BMT leaves Cold Sp Gap and goes up 54A to a Tee intersection by a trailpost and a rock. To the left is 54A heading north down to Cherry Log Gap and straight ahead is the half mile trail to Bob Bald. I have divided 54A into north and south. 54A south is from Cold Gap to the Tee, 54A north is down to Cherry Log Gap (and the big campsite I call Snow Camp).

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Me too. But I also love maps and can spend hours looking at them. Guthook makes a smartphone app for trails and I am currently in the process of trying to get the BMTA on-board with sponsoring the creation of that app for the BMT. http://www.guthookhikes.com/2013/03/...ian-trail.html

With this sort of thing one could use their phone as a map when the trail is in doubt. I think for some hikers that won't carry maps it could help them out. I've downloaded the app for the AT section I plan to hike this summer as a field test. Personally I don't think this app really replaces maps, but it is a good navigation tool for people that don't want to buy a GPS or go through the learning curve of uploading files to a GPS. Phone batteries won't support using it like a dedicated GPS, but if one were to get at a hard to navigate point, turning on your phone for a few minutes and using the app to sort out your problem could work.
    I used the Guthook app on my PCT thru hike last summer. I only looked at paper maps in the evening when I was reviewing the next day's route to get an overview. Other than that, 100% of my navigation was via smartphone.

I'll be using the CDT version this summer - it would be awesome if you could get a Guthook-BMT app.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++