WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hiking barefoot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default hiking barefoot

ok, i expect some of you will warn against this, but has anyone ever heard of someone trying to do a thru-hike barefoot. if so, did they succeed? if not, why? something I've been considering doing myself. any particularly hazardous sections of trail for this?

Around 08 there was guy named mountain. Man that was barefoot and had very little gear. He was hiking with his dog. Not sure if he ever made it.

Images

Look up the book: The Barefoot Sisters Southbound, (Adventures on the Appalachian Trail)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Look up the book: The Barefoot Sisters Southbound, (Adventures on the Appalachian Trail)
    And their equally entertaining sequel, Walking Home.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Yes it's been done. Your feet will likely never be the same afterwards. Not only do you risk breaking toes, any cuts could get infected and you could pick up parasites like ring worms. You'd best make sure you have thick calluses on the bottom of your feet before you start.

There is a reason footwear was one of the first things humans invented.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yes it's been done. Your feet will likely never be the same afterwards. Not only do you risk breaking toes, any cuts could get infected and you could pick up parasites like ring worms. You'd best make sure you have thick calluses on the bottom of your feet before you start.

There is a reason footwear was one of the first things humans invented.
    Ringworm is not a parasite but a fungus type skin infection

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Ringworm is not a parasite but a fungus type skin infection
    Well, it is a parasite. Skin infections are parasites. That said, I think Slo probably meant hookworm, which is the classic disease gotten from walking barefoot.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

AT 2012

Read the barefoot sisters stuff. Best I can tell it all becomes about walking without shoes, not about hiking. Like an entirely different, almost completely unrelated experience. No value judgement here, to the best of my limited ability...
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Read the barefoot sisters stuff. Best I can tell it all becomes about walking without shoes, not about hiking. Like an entirely different, almost completely unrelated experience. No value judgement here, to the best of my limited ability...
    They also hiked much slower than their peers, almost certainly much slower than they would've with shoes or boots.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

The Barefoot Sisters went to boots for the dead of winter. I doubt anyone would do otherwise. It's a good read.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Registered Offender

I met a young man named Alex attempting a thru-hike in '13 who was unshod, but he'd end up injured because of it (plantar fasciitis on both feet, due to progressively more pronounced collapsed arches). Although I hiked slowly, he fell far behind and I'm not sure if he ever completed his journey. At the time he said the walking was not the issue so much as the weight on his back. Although he carried a light load (24lbs at most he said, with food and water), it was still too much weight and stress to enable his feet to adapt and grow stronger.

I wear Vibram Five Fingers around home and town, to help strengthen my feet (at least in theory), but I do the long hikes in more supportive running shoes, despite a super light load on the back. Bare-footing the whole AT can be done, but I'd hedge my bets on a high, high failure rate. The backpack along for the ride changes everything.

thanks 4 the tips. will have to check out that book. mostly hike in sandals, even with like 3 feet of snow on the ground, any one have any clue if that would help me w/ this?

joe valesko from zpacks thru hiked the pct and cdt entirely in sandals. had some serious snow in colorado. used vapor barrier socks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brother brzo View Post
    ok, i expect some of you will warn against this, but has anyone ever heard of someone trying to do a thru-hike barefoot. if so, did they succeed? if not, why? something I've been considering doing myself. any particularly hazardous sections of trail for this?
    No judgement here, but I just can't imagine hiking barefoot from a foot/toe protection and sometimes traction standpoint in most parts of PA, NH, and ME.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    No judgement here, but I just can't imagine hiking barefoot from a foot/toe protection and sometimes traction standpoint in most parts of PA, NH, and ME.
    thats kind of funny considering that i live in pa and do most of my hiking here
    have done once or twice w/o shoes

I'm curious about what's your motivation for hiking bare foot. You will have to bring shoes for grocery stores etc. though.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You will have to bring shoes for grocery stores etc. though.
    Not necessarily. There are no laws or health codes prohibiting people from going barefoot in stores, restaurants, etc. There are certain stores that have policies in place against them -- but more often than not you would only be challenged by people that 1) Mistakenly believe its against Health code and/or 2) Are wary or uncomfortable with people that do something abnormal and will ask you to leave regardless of store policy.

For those considering hiking barefoot, or even just want to go barefoot around their town, bringing a pair of lightweight sandals at the very least would be something to fall back on if you do get challenged.

There's a ton of places I've walked into that have a sign " shirt and shoes required". Going barefoot, most people will consider you unstable and at least marginally mentally ill.

I have every intention of hiking in Vibrams, but I've also been working up towards the feat (ha!) over the course of the past few years. I've been running in Vibrams for the past four years, I walk in them frequently, and do all of my weightlifting in them as well.

As others, I would caution anyone from 'jumping right in' and going full bore on the trail with your pack and bare feet. But if you're truly interested in doing it up while on the trail, and I was you, I'd take a set of Vibrams (or go barefoot), and I would *very slowly* up the mileage.

I'm talking a quarter of a mile with the pack for a week, then the rest of the day with shoes. Next week you could go for a half mile, but again, *listen to your body - by the time you're hurting it's probably too late*.

-----

And again, as others have said, ask yourself "why am I doing this".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brother brzo View Post
    If going old school, why not try a pair of knee high moccasins. Foot coverage plus gaiters all built into one, be sure and incorporate fringes. (fringes swinging keeps the flys away)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++