WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Question about your Packa experience

For those of you who have used a Packa, is it still a satisfactory rain top WITHOUT your backpack? Or does the excess material back there get in the way, get blown around / caught on stuff, or in general cause a problem? Is it even noticeable? I'm thinking for making camp in the rain, etc....

Thanks!

I tend to only wear mine when it is colder. When it is warmer I just get wet while hiking and only wear it while moving around in camp. It does feel a little different but not bad. You get used to it quickly. I have not had problems snagging the back when not wearing a pack.

I don't even notice it is there. At the 1:30 you can see a clip of me setting up camp with it on. I hope this helps.

- Rob

Thanks for the responses, and yes I see what you mean, Rob. It looks like what I'm looking for.

I've seen people talking about wearing a "shell" to keep bugs off you ... if paired with some pants, would the packa do that? Would it be too hot in warm weather?

Thanks again!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jneedler View Post
    I've seen people talking about wearing a "shell" to keep bugs off you ... if paired with some pants, would the packa do that? Would it be too hot in warm weather?
    I would not look to use my Packa as a bug shell. It would be too hot in warm weather (above 60F), and the bugs will find their way to your skin from underneath (and through the pit zips which you would have to open up in warmer weather). If there are that many bugs out then you likely want a full bug suit and/or treat your clothing with permithrin.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thank you all for the responses.

If I can afford the Packa, I will get it. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck with Frogg Toggs.

I'll keep looking for a bug solution.

Thanks again.

Monday I'm meeting with cedar tree to check out the packa. I currently have the froggtoggs rain coat and pants and the osprey pack cover. I'm thinking about changing out the jacket and pack cover for the packa. I would like to hear owners of the packa opinions about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Richard View Post
    Monday I'm meeting with cedar tree to check out the packa. I currently have the froggtoggs rain coat and pants and the osprey pack cover. I'm thinking about changing out the jacket and pack cover for the packa. I would like to hear owners of the packa opinions about them.
    I expect you are in for a treat. On the phone, at least, Cedar Tree is quite a character. Good product, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

-

I use the packa when cold and wet will be the norm - (if the pack gets wet it will be slow to dry)

other wise a basic rain coat

The one downside I've found to the Packa is if it's still raining a lot when it's time to make camp:
    * Do you take it off to keep your pack dry? Then, you get wet.
    * Do you keep it on yourself to keep you dry? Then, your pack gets wet (I do use a compactor bag inside the pack, so this is probably the choice I make)

Trying to get faster with hanging my tarp so there'll be a dry area for me and my pack; haven't come up with another solution yet...

Quote Originally Posted by jneedler View Post
    Thank you all for the responses.

If I can afford the Packa, I will get it. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck with Frogg Toggs.

I'll keep looking for a bug solution.

Thanks again.
    Keep in mind the Packa comes in a wide variety of weights. I had the eVent and was extremely comfortable in a cold spring or fall rain. The drawback is it weighs 17 ounces.

Since most of my hiking is now in summer, I bought a 10d silnylon version, which is very thin, but is 8 ounces. I think it was $189. There are weights in between as well, 20d and 30d.

I'm average build, 175 lbs. 5'9", and would normally take a medium. I decided for the large because of the longer length. It's 4" more circumference at the bottom as well.

The ventilation is unmatched by anything I've tried, with the zipper in front. As I walk along the air "balloons" the inside from the front to prevent overheating.

Not sure what you mean by bug protection though. I've found when it's raining there are no bugs.

++ New Posts ++