WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Review: ZPacks Duplex

Hey all,

I thought I would let all of you know that I have published my review of the ZPacks Duplex shelter.

It is a great shelter and I thought some of you might like to read my thoughts on using it.

http://hikelighter.com/2015/02/28/zpacks-duplex-tent/

It has already been used for a few successful thru-hikes of the AT.

Hope the article/review helps some folks.

The perfect tent if you can get over the sticker price. I am using it this year on my thruhike.

My only issue so far is getting a tight pitch. I see pictures on the internet and the thing is as tight as a guitar string. If anyone has any tips on getting a tight pitch, I would love to hear them. My pole length is probably the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    The perfect tent if you can get over the sticker price. I am using it this year on my thruhike.

My only issue so far is getting a tight pitch. I see pictures on the internet and the thing is as tight as a guitar string. If anyone has any tips on getting a tight pitch, I would love to hear them. My pole length is probably the issue.
    I have the same issue with my solplex. I'm replacing some guy lines with figure 9 reflective adjusters so I can tweek it as night falls. No experience with it yet but I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post

It's a combination of pole length and guyline placement. I use a cuben dechutes, and at first I wasn't getting a tight pitch, but after pitching it everyday for a week I got it looking nice. I've had the same issue with every cuben shelter I've owned, but with use it always has worked itself out.

If I hadn't gotten a contrail for xmas, I would have saved up and gotten the duplex. It will be my next tent unless something better comes along.

Images

We got a Hexamid Twin last year right when the Duplex was coming out. The twin doors would have been nice.

Re: tight pitch. Does the Duplex have the same fixed-length guylines as the other Zpacks tents? I am not a fan. Zpacks sells LineLoc 3 adjusters with little sewn loops -- get a dozen of them and 50 feet of the 2.2mm Dyneema cord in orange. Loop the LineLocs into the sewn-in loops on the tent, then create new guy lines through each LineLoc. Make the main tie out(s) over the door(s) a lot longer.

Using these I can get a tight pitch in pretty much any tent site no matter how tight or rocky or otherwise crappy.

(If you've already cut the original Zpacks guy line, you might need 100 feet of the Dyneema. I see where Abela uses the Linelocs at the end of the guy line, which will also work.)

Nice thorough review of the tent, btw.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My, thats one expensive tent!

Images

I have no problem getting a tight pitch. You have to tweak the pole length as well as the guy line length. I'm not a fan of fixed length guy lines. By adjusting the length you can vary the angle of the fabric from the ridgeline to the guy out point.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

++ New Posts ++