WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Puff or Fleece

Default Puff or Fleece

Hiking the Mount Rogers Highlands section second week in June with wife, 12yo daughter and 17yo son. Partnership shelter to Damascus. Would you bring a puffy jacket or fleece? I'm afraid the puff jacket maybe too warm for the guys. The girls get to bring both. I do not want any cold women!

A thick puff layer might be too warm, and if down. have a risk of getting wet. I'd bring a heavier weight fleece.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

i like my mountian hardware micro fleece. ditched the puff thing even in the winter.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Fantastic section.....love it!.....fleece gets my vote. Enjoy
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

You definitely won't need a puff jacket in June. Great for standing around in the winter, but worthless in the summer in VA.

That's what I figured. I asked wife too. The wife is bringing hers! I don't have a choice there. But she does have an older synthetic puffy I might talk her into instead of the down. But for me and my boy... fleece it is. Thanks

I'd go for a cheap 100wt fleece pullover from WalMart. You can usually get them for less than 10 bucks this time of year. That's typically what I carry in the warmer months down south here. I tend to be cold blooded when I stop hiking and especially when I'm sleeping.

Most puffys are good to about 40F, 100wt fleece to about 50F. Will be above 50's at night in June. Go fleece.

Ryan

++ New Posts ++