WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blisters

Default Blisters

What kind of tape can I put on my feet before blisters? I have tried mole skin and duct tape but I have heard of something better that long distance love, anyone know what that type of tape is?

Images

Leukotape works well for many. It's in my kit.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Some people like leuko or KT tape. If this for pre blister try lubing them up with body glide or vaseline. Also you can make any of the tapes more effective with a little bit of benzoin tincture.

Images

There's a product called "Glide" that you can use. I'm told by a former thru hiker that never got a blister while using.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

My plan for foot care is;
    morning; washing with soap and water, dry, a very thin layer of vasoline, gold bond powder, toe socks, regular socks.
    evening ; soap and water, dry out the feet, air them out ie. no socks, or wrap in TP to absorb extra water on those rain all day days, clean dry socks
    blisters; antibiotic ointment , leukotape, or athletic tape, Duct tape is a real bad idea, it retains moisture. needle and thread to keep blister drained.
    camp shoes not hiking shoes in the evening, the hiking shoes caused the blisters to begin with.

Garlic
    Images

If I feel a hot spot developing, I use 1" or 1.5" wide white athletic tape, the kind trainers use to tape sprains. It's thin, it breathes, it sticks well enough yet comes off easily, and it's cheap. The only drawback is that I haven't found anything else it's good for. I agree duct tape is a really bad idea, though many swear by it. I have not tried Leukotape brand--it looks like a higher-tech version of what I use.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

I forgot to mention, if I feel a hot spot developing, first thing I do is take care of the problem! That might mean slowing down the pace, resting a bit, washing my feet and socks, changing socks, etc.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I do barefoot running periodically on both sand and pavement; no blister worries here.

Journal Entries

I have to add to the leukotape vibe here...I blister easily and leukotape has worked really, really well.

Kinesio Tape I find is a little easier to source locally, smoother, and more forgiving to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    My plan for foot care is;
    morning; washing with soap and water, dry, a very thin layer of vasoline, gold bond powder, toe socks, regular socks.
    evening ; soap and water, dry out the feet, air them out ie. no socks, or wrap in TP to absorb extra water on those rain all day days, clean dry socks
    That sounds like a lot of work. I doubt that regiment will last long I'm lucky in that I rarely get blisters, but when I do the only treatment I use is New Skin.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Is leukotape and KT tape the same thing?
    Thanks everyone

Images

Must admit duct tape has always worked for me, if needed goes on in the morning and off at night. When coming into a trail town it is always easy to acquire. I'm sure some of the specialized medical tapes may be better, I have always used the duct due to ease of access everywhere and it can be used for a million and one purposes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Must admit duct tape has always worked for me, if needed goes on in the morning and off at night. When coming into a trail town it is always easy to acquire. I'm sure some of the specialized medical tapes may be better, I have always used the duct due to ease of access everywhere and it can be used for a million and one purposes.
    Also known as 100mph tape!

Do you wear liner socks? I always wear them and never get blisters. Wore them when I thru hiked the AT two years ago, never got close to getting blisters.
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

Since I started wearing good socks and shoes, no significant blister issues. I always carry a travel size deodorant stick that is aluminum based (white) and use it on any area suffering from friction. Prevents chafing and blisters.

And I suppose you could use it on your pits, too.

I used gold bond frequently on my last section hike. Try it - it works wonders.

I can recommend www.wrightsocks.com
    Blister free guarantee. Sewn in liners

Wa out your socks, not your feet!
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfclan View Post
    Is leukotape and KT tape the same thing?
    Thanks everyone
    They're both tape...but, they're different. This page gives a good run-down of both: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Taping

Images

For me, band-aids work just as well as any more expensive tape. Put on hotspots, then rub with bodyglide, it won't develop a blister. If you already have one, it works for that too. Not painful to remove, and multi-purpose.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++