WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thinking more about Curtis. In '10 I was brand new to the Trail community. My wife and I shuttled 2 hikers back to Standing Bear from Trail Days. My wife called Curtis a couple of times because we missed the turnoff and he was standing in the road looking for us as we drove up. The hikers we were with were deaf but the LOOK of happiness and welcome on his face and theirs is something I will always remember. I was very happy to stop there in '11 and will stop this year. Happy Trails Curtis

Great guy, always ready to help out a hiker in need, you will be missed....RIP swamp dawg

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Curtis helped me out quite a bit on my GSMNP section hike in October 2011, with 2 shuttles and information. It is so sad to see such light doused so much earlier than expected. RIP Curtis.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

RIP!! Good dude!! Good Memories!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw him when I stopped through back in Nov last year. Such a shame. Semper Fi and condolences to the family.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

I must confess, came with a cowboy novel. (as a pillow) And left with Patton.

Stayed there years ago and he an I stayed up most of the night drinking beer and talking about bluegrass music. He had a unique personality and was very much his own man. A true character, in the finest sense of the word. He will be missed and always remembered.

I understand that Standing Bear Hostel will remain open. I am sure Maria can use the hikers business.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

just back from the service. it was a wonderful send off

Default See you later Curtis.

CurtisOwen.jpg

I stayed at Standing Bear 4 yrs in a row. Two years ago when I stayed Curtis invited me up the his house to watch the weather.
    He's was a friend to hikers, a businessman, and provided shelter for many.
    He didn't care for whinners and cry babies. He always had great stories to share. He had the right amount of roughness to go with his kindness.
    The Appalachian Trail will be a lesser experience without him.
    -Smooth Sailin

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsailin View Post
    CurtisOwen.jpg

I stayed at Standing Bear 4 yrs in a row. Two years ago when I stayed Curtis invited me up the his house to watch the weather.
    He's was a friend to hikers, a businessman, and provided shelter for many.
    He didn't care for whinners and cry babies. He always had great stories to share. He had the right amount of roughness to go with his kindness.
    The Appalachian Trail will be a lesser experience without him.
    -Smooth Sailin
    That is a great picture! Always time to sit around the fire!

Hey, just so you all know.......just got off the phone with a friend who's helping out there......Standing Bear is indeed open for the 2015 season, ALL services (Hostel; Maildrops; Re-Supply; Shuttles, etc.) are available. They're looking forward to a great hiker season, and I hope many of you get to visit and enjoy this wonderful place. And please pass the word if you're on other AT sites, there seem to be some folks who aren't sure about what's up. Thanx.

Images

I am so sad to hear this news. Curtis was a great guy and a wonderful host. Standing Bear Hostel is one of the best places I have visited on the AT. I stayed there in May of 2011. I intended to stay for a few days to let a swollen ankle heal, but I loved it there so much that I stayed for almost three weeks. Curtis was a true Friend to Hikers and I am proud to have known him. I'm taking a trip down south in 10 days and planned to stay at Standing Bear. I was really looking forward to seeing Curtis again and experiencing the hospitality that he and his family provided. I have met hundreds of people in the 12 years I've been section hiking on the AT. Curtis V. Owen is one of only a few names and faces that I will never forget. His passing is a great loss for me personally and to the entire Appalachian Trail community. Rest in Peace my Friend, and may your family take comfort in the knowledge that countless hikers will remember and cherish the warmth and friendship you so freely gave to the world. ​Ave Atque Vale
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Condolences to Maria and family. In 2012 the hostel and Curtis were a godsend. Semper Fi…. fair winds and following seas Brother.

"Nimbus"
    "The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to go before I sleep,
    and miles to go before I sleep." (Frost)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++