WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Unless you have your heart set on walking north, might I suggest starting at Dick's Creek Gap and heading south? The 8 miles from Amicalola to Springer has a lot of uphill and can be pretty intimidating. Also, if you are headed south, you are getting closer to hostels and shuttles that are typically headed into Gainesville for the bus station.

The trail seems a little more forgiving when you are headed south in terms of long uphill stretches. You have Neels Gap and the outfitter at roughly the midpoint no matter which way you go.

The biggest argument for heading north is that you will have plenty of company headed in that direction.

"When he got to the next trap, the same bear was already there, lying down and waiting for him." - Hilarious!

I have to be able to say I did the approach trail, From all I have heard you guys are spooking me about how tough it is, but, I am still going to go for it. And hopefully it will be the first section hike,, next time I would start at Dick's and continue north for another section.

Images

The Approach Trail is fine, a pleasant hike generally uphill to Springer.

It's not any tougher than the rest of Georgia. Enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    I have to be able to say I did the approach trail, From all I have heard you guys are spooking me about how tough it is, but, I am still going to go for it. And hopefully it will be the first section hike,, next time I would start at Dick's and continue north for another section.
    Only tough , if you are in poor shape carrying too much weight.
    Its the same as the rest of the southern AT, easier than the second half of GA actually, not as rocky .

You go up, you go down, very little time is spent walking on level ground. Its just a bit of shock to people that thought they were going out for a stroll like they practiced around their block.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-10-2015 at 21:45.

Thankyou for the reassurance. I am on track so far. I have my pack sitting in the corner of my bedroom,, ready and waiting.
    I will be packing around my neighborhood soon. People are going to call the cops, thinking I am homeless. That will be a new thread soon.

Ah, that's why we have "fancy" clothing and gear in bright colors.

If not bright colors then looking brand new.

Be well-heeled. New "stylish" hiking shoes.

In town, wear expensive brand name eyeglasses or not too dark tint expensive brand name sunglasses and an expensive but not-too-flashy watch: something conservative but money. Lenscrafters has half-off sale of reasonably famous brand names, or used to. The watch? I do not recommend a knock-off.

Looking like a military vet is not welcome: I got rid of nearly all my OD and camo.

I have a nice fisherman's stylish shirt. I have bicyclist clothing. I have a golf jacket. It all helps with the active outdoor look, for walking, depending on season and location.

It isn't easy "out and about" with a backpack.

Even a backpack, especially "camping gear" in a car is a problem.

Look "stylish" or perhaps "athletic" in a jogging outfit.

Other strategies?

I go to the reasonably nearby National Park.

I do not recommend the town park or the county park. Those are strictly for families and kids, apparently. Not for people with backpacks.

At least get off the sidewalks: dirt roads near town are better. There, you can wear old trail shoes. Jog. Walk. It looks like you are "getting in shape".

I considered gym membership; it just isn't the same.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-11-2015 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    Thankyou for the reassurance. I am on track so far. I have my pack sitting in the corner of my bedroom,, ready and waiting.
    I will be packing around my neighborhood soon. People are going to call the cops, thinking I am homeless. That will be a new thread soon.
    Difference between you and I, if you were walking around in new sneakers and fancy hiking clothes with a fancy backpack where I'm from, people would definitely call the cops. To protect you from all the homeless. If you look like a thru-hiker does after 2months, people don't even blink an eye.

After one of my long hikes, I took public transportation into Boston. Needed to walk from South to North Station. During that 15 minute walk. No lie, 6 bums asked me if I was on the streets and gave me pointers for cheap booze and offered me drugs. I politely refused and kept walking.

Trail magic is a hell of a thing.

Good luck on your hike!

Connie, I'm confused by your post. Most thru-hikers I've met don't fit most of your criteria. On the AT, wearing a nice watch shouldn't be a problem. Other places, I wouldn't dare throw on anything besides a Timex. I'm not made of money, and even if I was, I wouldn't want to show I have it in an unfamiliar place.

Agree with all the above! I've only hiked Springer to Chattahoochee gap (N of Low gap shelter) I took off at Jacks knob W over to Brasstown Bald.(!!only after I advised homebase where I was going and received acknowledgement msg!!) Anyway I hitched into Blairsville to the Enterprise lot and they had wheels under me in no time flat! A great company Enterprise! The hitchhiking was new--haven't hitchhiked since about 50 years ago--darn long time!
    Oh, I'm only going to do about 8MPD until legs feet & ligaments are adjusted.I've been practicing on the side of Lookout Mtn.Tn,and still I needed to get used to the AT.Good hiking and God bless!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++