WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Does anyone remember the recipe that called for black pepper doritos? i remember seeing it and saying it looked great, but then could never find it when i was going ot make it.
    This might help...see the "Chi Chi" thread; http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=Doritos

With ideas from this and other threads I 'discovered' the easy, great tasting combination of Ramen noodles, pepperoni slices and Black Pepper Doritos. Lots of potential for additional ingredients, e.g., cheese, sauce, etc.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quinoa is a nice alternative to rice that cooks in the same manner and in the same amount of time as white rice...you can substitute it into any pilaf dinner recipes you have. I've seen cookbooks that insist it always needs to be rinsed, but I use the stuff from Bob's Red Mill, and it works nicely without that. If you can find it in bulk, it will reduce the sticker shock....and it has a good shot of protein in it, including all 8 essential AAs.

Westbrae makes an angel hair corn pasta that is a change of pace, and it only needs a little parmesan and ghee. (Ghee was invented so we could have butter in hot weather, so why not? I can't think of a nicer emergency fire-starter to have in your pack.) If you go to an Asian grocery, you'll find some other interesting alternatives to Top Ramen.

If you have not heard of dehydrated instant bean flakes (black bean and pinto), they cook up in about 5 minutes. I think they're as good as freshly mashed ones.

Also, I find that a lot of people don't think of having their relatives save those little condiment packets that they send home with you at fast-food places. If you don't make a big deal of never darkening the door of McDonald's, your in-laws or your grandma might be willing to save you some mayo you to have on the trail....it was going to the landfill, anyway. That adds not only soy sauce, but also ketchup, mayo, mustards, syrup, jam, various salad dressings and dipping sauces, and salsa. And if you do go to McDonalds, Taco Bell, and all the rest....you're on your way!

I just returned from Glacier Nat'l Park. I tried packing my meals all as one in ZipLoc freezer bags. 6 days of some pretty good up and down stuff and I wanted as light a pack as possible.
    For breakfast I packed cereal with whatever dried fruit and powdered milk and bags of the the ubiquitous oatmeal with brown sugar added. I took your basic cup o' soups, added some dehydrated potato flakes or stuffing, and instead of actually packing cans or foil pkgs of chicken or tuna, I dehydrated those myself and added them directly to the mealbag. At meal time, except for the cereals of course, I heated (didn't have to be boiling) water and poured it directly into the freezer bag.
    I also took along a freezer bag of dehydrated tuna, some tortillas and some mayo/relish/mustard packs from my local TigerMarket to do lunch stuff with.
    My only dish cleaning at that point was to wash the coffee/cocoa from my "cup". and I didn't have to carry out empty cans or foils.

Fiddleback,
    Thanks for the link back to the chi chi recipe. I wont lose it this time

My local HEB has a wholefoods/dryfoods section. My fav is to get the dehydrated corn chowder add in a bit of the dehydrated blackbean soup and a foil pouch of chicken. Just add water and stir....
    i'm hungry now

Right at table height for bears in my hammock! speedy's Avatar

Ok, I know this thread is more towards actual "cooking," but as a boil-in-bagger Marrakesh Express Mango Salsa CousCous with a foil tuna packet and a little bit of olive oil is hard to beat in my book. Also there's some thai peanut chicken shake and bake style powder stuff from wal-mart supercenters that's really good on ramen in place of the season packet. Almost makes it taste like pad thai if you add a bit of sriracha paste. Lastly, lime pepper from Costco (I believe it's mccormic brand) makes almost any trail meal taste better. speedy
    Last edited by speedy; 08-31-2006 at 02:39.

Topcat --

You're welcome.

Saw a recipe called 'Taco Noodles' that I've tried and liked. It's Ramen noodles (I used the new Caliente Chicken), hamburger, salsa, and cheese. To that, I added crushed Black Pepper Doritos. Mighty tasty.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a natural for dehydration and trail use. The Ramen and chips are no problem nor is the hamburger. I imagine the salsa will dry down to a leather as does spagetti sauce. That leaves a baggie of shredded cheese to add to the reconstituted and still hot noodles, hb, and salsa.

Now...if I could only dehydrate Corona...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Question

A slight tangent if I may. The proper way to dehaydrate is in the over, door slightly ajar, temp at 120F? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks
    A slight tangent if I may. The proper way to dehaydrate is in the over, door slightly ajar, temp at 120F? Thanks.
    120-135*, or if you have gas, pilt light. Use a wooden spoon if needed to keep door ajar
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback

I imagine the salsa will dry down to a leather as does spagetti sauce.

Now...if I could only dehydrate Corona...

FB
    I am going to start carrying the salsa that comes in the small packs from minimus.com. shelf safe and easy.

and as for Dehydrating Corona??? I dont think it is possible. I am waiting for SABAR to figure out how to repackage it into a freezerbag that wont let it go flat...

i mean Sarbar....

Images

I love the mac and cheese with some olive oil.
    I just recently had the idea of adding some artichoke hearts, but haven't tried it out yet.

Mmmmmmm, that sounds pretty good. Artichoke hearts would probably keep well in the cooler months in a baggie, make it a double baggie.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    I am going to start carrying the salsa that comes in the small packs from minimus.com. shelf safe and easy.

and as for Dehydrating Corona??? I dont think it is possible. I am waiting for SARBAR to figure out how to repackage it into a freezerbag that wont let it go flat...
    And if I could do that, I'd be on EZY Street lol......
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Avacados were the toughest for me to carry. Either too hard, or too soft.
    I actually did an experiment where I cut one in half, took out the seed, and duct taped it back together! It weighed less, but turned black faster, had to eat it all at once, decided they were too much trouble to carry for any length of time!
    ad astra per aspera

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

I don't know I found left over tuna from lunch some mashed potatoes and mac and cheese is wonderful combinationfor dinner! ~GB
    "Plans to protect air, water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man."

Images

this is one thread I enjoy looking back at. So many good ideas keep getting posted
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I take Knoors Veggie soup mix & add about 3/4 of Unckle Ben's Instant Brown Rice required for the water added. Dump in some shrimp in the foil packs or canned. Add a little cayenne powder to taste. It's one my friends always ask for.

Raw one pot meal: sliced avacado with roasted red peppers, sprinkled with flaxseed with a drizzle of tahini and some olive oil for some dressing. High calories
    ad astra per aspera

All - This is a great string and is very helpful. I just returned from six days on the AT in Georgia, slackpacking with just the outdoor essentials, lunch, snacks and water. Dinner and overnight at a base camp. I am already sick of tuna kits. You can bet I will spend a considerable amount of time at the supermarket this week and will be investigating many of your suggestions.

I did get a great idea while lugging myself up Blood Mountain . . . . . Dehydrated Water. I will begin the research process this weekend.

Thanks again for all of the great ideas!
    Nechochwen
    Slackpacker

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++